Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 143 total)
  • 4 cyclists killed in 8 day in London
  • allthegear
    Free Member

I have a suspicion, though, that if we canvassed opinion of London residents, shopkeepers and workers that they would vote to ban bicycles from London streets, not HGVs…

Rachel

D0NK

It’s not just cycling numpties in london who give us a bad name.

as crazy legs has already said don’t fall into that trap. I drive, you probably drive, next time you hear about a driver doing 140 down the motorway or driving 20 times the legal limit you wont think “that utter bastard giving us honest drivers a bad name”, it’s not a diver or a cyclist or whoever giving a everyone else in the subset a bad name, it’s just someone being a colossal dick, end of.

crazy-legs

@amedias: many thanks for explaining it better than I did!

spawnofyorkshire

Unfortunately in some colossal dick drivers minds all cyclists are lumped in together. I’d rather be disassociated with the colossal dick and/or suicidal numpty cyclists

project
    Free Member

Perhaps if more money was spent on enforcement of road trrafic laws with all the fines going into the enforcement pot and lots of advertising on radio and billboards adviisng that strict enforcemet will be taking place, Just then perhaps will casualties go down, and cycling will be seen for what it is, intresting, green commuting,a great exercise and environmmnetlay freindly.

D0NK

I have a suspicion, though, that if we canvassed opinion of London residents, shopkeepers and workers that they would vote to ban bicycles from London streets, not HGVs…

I’m pretty sure you’re correct, police forces get told to ignore drivers and concentrate on cyclists. The public have this illogical fear of things. Rabid immigrants, lizard overlords, paedos in the park etc etc. The stuff that is more harmful to them and theirs is the everyday, motor traffic, household accidents but ask what they are worried about and it’s some daily mail fantasy headline.

IIRC I read something lately where police said after consultation in one area the number one thing people wanted them to focus on was bad cycling – despite the stats.

D0NK

I’d rather be disassociated

so instead of saying they’re giving us a bad name just say “yeah that right there is a prize nob, nothing to do with me or cyclists”

bland

Also like half the deaths have been from truck and half of them from tipper trucks pretty obvious the current design of trucks is unsuitable for mixing with cyclists.

It may have been said and i will probably antagonise a few but its true in my mind from experience

Truckers (on a whole) aint the brightest or most gentile of folk, tipper drivers (muck shifting guys) are the lowest form of trucker, the ones not trusted to drive lorries, have crashed them or just qualified. They are the sort who drive all day, and drink all night. There are so little margins in muck shifting that they are always rushing to get an extra trip done in the day as it makes a big difference to their take home as most of the trips go to cover costs, so if they get 6 trips in instead of 5 they may take home £120 instead of £80.

With this in mind they drive like ass holes and pay so little attention its untrue, and hence the skewed number of deaths by them. If it was a visibility thing then they would cause half as many deaths as Articulated trailered trucks cause. I dont know exact figures but know its considerably more than them.

Now car drivers are to blame too, and cyclists are also to blame, me included, however im a lot better rider than someone new to commuting and have been in dodgy situations, however i know what to look out for and im better equipped to get out of a situation if it occurrs.

However back to the point, JUST AVOID TIPPERS LIKE THE PLAGUE and take on board what i say, its through experience of meeting them continually, not on the off chance i met one prat.

Condolences to all taken this week too, its played on my mind a lot when around traffic this week

theflatboy
    Free Member

bland – Member

Truckers (on a whole) aint the brightest of folk

if they get 6 trips in instead of 5 they may take home £120 instead of £80.

🙂

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again.

A National TV ad campaign promoting the LIFESAVER.

amedias
    Free Member

@theflatboy – now quote him without the missing bit about the first few trips covering the overheads.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Oh yes.

cleanerbybike
    Free Member

Is it time for a Dutch style ‘stop the murder’ campaign do we think?

I disagree with Rachel about the canvassing of opinion – surely any shopkeeper worth his/her salt knows that the key to economic vitality is to get people to walk past or cycle past their shop? Taking cyclists out of the equation just means less business for them

Karinofnine

I have another controversial opinion – in tandem with my earlier remarks – each collision is to be investigated properly , and ‘death by dangerous driving’ taken off the table to be replaced with manslaughter, murder or assault – with sentencing to match. Motoring offences to constitute a criminal record rather than jokey misdemeanors as they are now seen.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

each collision is to be investigated properly , and ‘death by dangerous driving’ taken off the table

i’m sure i mentioned this earlier – but it would be nice if people took a look – it is for all our benefits after all

CTC road justice campaign – for thorough investigations and proper sentencing

Sorry – I will be a stuck record on this one, as i deal with injured cyclist daily in my job and something really needs to be done – PLEASE SIGN IT!

Karinofnine

adjustablewench: please include my whole comment, including what I propose should replace ‘death by dangerous driving’ – I’ve already been misrepresented as advocating a ban on deaf cyclists (which is totally NOT what I said).

I’ll sign. And in the meantime, in addition to being a CTC member, I am quietly campaigning away by myself, by writing letters to TfL (bus driver who ‘punish-passed’ me), the RAC (learner driver who cut in front of me) and Boris himself.

As for the Police. One morning I found a police van, with two officers in it, parked in the bike lane in Crouch End. This particular bike lane has a qualifying sign giving its times of operation, and is bounded by a solid line. Notwithstanding this, the police van was parked in the bike lane. When I stopped to challenge the police officers they were cocky and condescending. The driver started to wind his window up while I was speaking, and only stopped when I said “Don’t wind your window up while I am speaking”. Their rationale was some bollocks about a dangerous prisoner (why one would wrestle a dangerous prisoner across a busy road escapes me). I told them that they were setting a very bad example which ill-became them as officers of the law and rode off.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

One of the problems if dangerous driving not being used but the lesser sentence of careless driving, also of cases being allocated to magistrates courts when they are limited to the sentence they can hand out.

The list of problems with the judicial process for road traffic collisions is far too long to list here – but my point as I said in my post at the beginning – each collision needs to be investigated properly and sorry if I didnt use all of your point I was only trying to reiterate my initial comments from page one – you may have been misquoted – but I was ignored, both common on here! 🙂

Well worth a read – and a sign of the petition, calling for all police forces to take investigation of all collisions seriously. It also calls for more appropriate sentencing and clearer definitions of careless as opposed to dangerous driving.

Basically – I just hope people sign it and take a minute to read it, thank you for doing so.

There are some other details I can pass on about reporting other incidents if you are interested drop me an email

Karinofnine

adjustablewench: no problem, I totally get both your points (just a tiny bit sensitive due to being COMPLETELY misrepresented :))

There are (in my opinion) two points here: one is to change the law/attitude/climate

and one is to stay alive

The first: write to your MP, bus company, truck operator, taxi company, join/support campaign groups .

The second: look after yourself when you ride. Give yourself the best chance of survival: use lights, ride in primary, keep good observation, second-guess what drivers are going to do; use all of your senses; KEEP AWAY FROM TIPPER TRUCKS.

kcr
    Free Member

Most studies point the finger at blame massively towards drivers

Source?

Streets Ahead, the Edinburgh City Council road safety website has collated road safety statistics for Edinburgh from 2004-2010. Their Cycle Incident Analysis concluded that:

Two thirds (66%) of serious P/C (pedal cyclist) collisions involved conflict with a car. Goods vehicles were involved in 14% of collisions resulting in serious injury to a P/C.
    For all incidents resulting in serious injury to P/C’s, 72% of contributory factors were assigned to the other vehicle driver and 28% to the P/C.

Transport Scotland’s road casualty statistics for 2011 show that by far the biggest contributory factor was driver/rider error or reaction (39% of all accidents). In this category, 6585 accidents were reported in total and in 203 cases the vehicle was a pedal cycle.

How about that popular demon of British road safety, the red light running cyclist? Transport Scotland figures show that there were 168 accidents where a contributory factor was the driver or rider disobeying an automatic traffic signal. In 9 of these accidents the vehicle was a pedal cycle.

In the UK as a whole, something like 25,000 KSIs (killed or seriously injured) a year. I don’t have a breakdown of that figure, but I think we can take a guess how many of those incidents cyclists are responsible for.

Sure, a small number of cyclists behave stupidly and cause road accidents, but let’s stop apologising and start talking about the facts. Motorists are overwhelmingly responsible for road accidents in this country, by a huge margin.

poly
    Free Member

Karinofnine – Member
    I have another controversial opinion – in tandem with my earlier remarks – each collision is to be investigated properly , and ‘death by dangerous driving’ taken off the table to be replaced with manslaughter, murder or assault – with sentencing to match. Motoring offences to constitute a criminal record rather than jokey misdemeanors as they are now seen.

Karin, you probably need to understand a bit about what you are proposing. Before the death by… offences were invented this is exactly how these matters were dealt with (well manslaughter). But those offences are common law crimes that have been defined over centuries and have quite clearly established principles, and therefore also a range of defence strategies. Precisely because manslaughter was too hard to prove the death by… offence was invented – it is a statutory offence (clearly* defined in law). Abolishing s1 of the RTA 1988 would simply mean more people ‘get off with’ manslaughter and/or fewer prosecutions.

However, as I and others have pointed out on here before, even if you were to redefine the death by offences into something simpler to prove with a huge sentence on it – it would be little impact to PREVENT accidents. Nobody sets off in the morning with the penalties for “Death by…” in their head and thinks “oh well its only likely to be [a year in prison / a year driving ban / a community sentence]…”. Because its highly likely that if you drive like a **** you will get away with it (both physically and legally). If you want the judicial system to make the roads safer you need to focus on catching the “minor” offences where no death occurs.

* some people may argue the clearly part – however there is a specific act of parliament and sections of that act which apply.

Karinofnine

I disagree.

Notwithstanding my remarks about crazy cyclists.

If motorists knew they were going to lose their licence/freedom they would be more careful around vulnerable road users. Let’s get away from the word ‘cyclist’ and think about ‘vulnerable’.

I have posted on here before, it would only take a few swingeing, punitive sentences to alter the culture.

I have to go to sleep now, work tomorrow/today actuallyl

Twodogs

Tragically you need to update the thread title….another cyclist was killed last night

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

Twodogs is right, there was another person killed last night in London:

Seems a day doesn’t pass at the moment without a cyclist getting killed. Very sad. Ride safe everyone.

Andy-R

crazy-legs – Member
    When was the last time a driver had any specific training? The answer for 90% of them will be “when they passed their test” which for some 60 year old doddering to the shops in his Micra will be 40-odd years ago. So nigh on useless and in modern terms may as well be considered as “having no training”.

FFS – I’d better “dodder off” and voluntarily hand my license in then, as I won’t see 60 again.

scotroutes

Funny that, because accident statistics show it’s not the experienced drivers that are the most dangerous. It’s those that have most recently passed their test.

Pigface
    Free Member

Seems a day doesn’t pass at the moment without a cyclist getting killed.

I dont want to sound all Daily Mail but it’s a national disgrace that is being ignored by the powers that be.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

up to 5 in 9 days now

will
    Free Member
    poly
    Free Member

Seems a day doesn’t pass at the moment without a cyclist getting killed.
    I dont want to sound all Daily Mail but it’s a national disgrace that is being ignored by the powers that be.

Sorry for being flippant on what is a serious issue – but 5 in 9 days does not equal one per day. Paul Dacre would be delighted to receive your application!

Pigface
    Free Member

Oh well thats ok then, carry on folks 😕

amedias
    Free Member

just come back to this thread this morning, now utterly gutted to see another death 🙁

andyg68

Just to make this not London centric, it is six in nine days as a cyclist was killed in Nantwich day before yesterday in a hit and run by a lorry – driver has now been arrested.

retro83
    Free Member

will – Member

scu98rkr – Member
    up to 5 in 9 days now

Seriously
    http://road.cc/content/news/98854-londons-killer-roundabout-claims-another-cyclist-woman-dies-bow

Sorry to be that guy but I think you meant this link?

http://road.cc/content/news/98950-cyclist-killed-bus-crash-whitechapel

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I used to cycle around Aldgate as part of my commute, its a horrendous gyratoy.

RIP

D0NK

I’ve already been misrepresented as advocating a ban on deaf cyclists (which is totally NOT what I said).

what you said was

People ride along with earphones in, completely oblivious to what’s going on around them, distracted by whatever they are listening to and cut off from their surroundings. Crazy.

having earphones in (or indeed being deaf) and being oblivious to your surroundings are two very different things as I’m sure you appreciate, so it’s a bit weird that you put the two together in the same post. Other posters in other threads have said things more akin to “headphones = deathwish” which is a variation of victim blaming I get a bit sensitive about.

Obviously I completely agree with you on the investigating accidents properly and proper deterrent sentencing for people who kill with their vehicle.

More sad news 🙁

will
    Free Member

Sorry to be that guy but I think you meant this link?

http://road.cc/content/news/98950-cyclist-killed-bus-crash-whitechapel

Yeah I did cheers.

crazy-legs

Oh great.
    Boris Johnson, the great protector of cyclists, he of the great bicycle hire scheme has come out with the following pearls of wisdom.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/14/fifth-london-bike-death-bus-superhighway

Well done Boris – way to go on reinforcing the them vs us sterotypes.
    Buffoon.

D0NK

“You cannot blame the victim in these circumstances. But what you can say is…”

a load of stuff which sounds exactly like victim blaming. Dick. Has he had the results of the all the investigations then? Had a quick inquiry that concluded cyclists were at fault? Or is he just trying to deflect attention away from him?

<edit> closer to (my) home 🙁

shermer75
    Free Member

a load of stuff which sounds exactly like victim blaming. Dick. Has he had the results of the all the investigations then? Had a quick inquiry that concluded cyclists were at fault? Or is he just trying to deflect attention away from him?

Exactly. Without facts and details remarks like Boris’s are just reactionary BS. I’ve never much liked the bloke tbh, but I thought better of him than this

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

You can not call Boris a moron in these circumstances, but what you can say is Boris is a moron.

5 deaths, and he’s pretty much blamed them all on cyclists running red lights and not look what they’re doing, despite knowing nothing about the accidents.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘4 cyclists killed in 8 day in London’ is closed to new replies.