Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 3 months in Crawley
  • molgrips
    Free Member

.. for work. Worth taking the MTB or just road? Surrey hills look a bit far for after work trips..?

wwaswas

Tilgate’s got a few things going on and it’d only be 30 minutes to Brighton for Stanmer Park and the Downs.

bullheart
    Free Member

25 minutes to Leith/Peaslake/Holmbury.

My old home town.

‘orrible…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    philconsequence
    Free Member

neither, its important you dont exercise so i can try and get below your weight

*tries to pretend i’m not secretly competitive with a fellow ‘cant be properly bothered with doing a proper iDave diet but i’d like to slowly get slimmer’ person*

Gotama
    Free Member

Tilgate Park has some small runs that may suffice for an after work tootle.

bigdaddy

Def worth taking mtb… Lived in Crawley for 7 years & plenty of good riding around. Get on the Freeborn Sunday morning rides at Pitch & we’ll show you some top trails. As mentioned Tilgate’s reasonable if not large too.

tonyg2003

Yep plenty of chances for mid-week MTBing. Drop a line to the guys I ride with MuddyMoles.org.uk – it’s 30mins in the car to the North Downs from Crawley. Plenty of road riding too.

tallgavin
    Free Member

Tilgate as mentioned but I’d still call the Surrey Hills ‘local’ to Crawley. Road access is pretty fast too. Best riding in the area so a pity to miss it.

Jerome
    Free Member

Yep definately surrey hills.
    I live Brighton way, but may be tempted out as a guide if needed.
    Guide is useful if you do not know the area.

mudshark
    Free Member

I used to work near Evans’s Gatwick store, sometimes rode to Leith Hill with several offroad sections but ended up just sticking to the road as the villages and countryside around there are quite attractive with lots of quietish roads

slugwash
    Free Member

Surrey hills look a bit far for after work trips..?

If you just want a bit of a pleasant spin after work you can head out along the Sustrans Route (old railway line) to East Grinstead & Forest Row and back.

Otherwise train down to Hassocks for South Downs or across to Dorking for the Surrey Alps @ weekends.

(Creepy Crawley – Yukk!)

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks for the offers folks. It’d be week nights only as I have a family back in Cardiff 🙂 I have been to the Surrey Hills a couple of times and enjoyed it a lot.. when you say 25 minutes you mean riding or driving?

Phil – 86.5kg last weekend – that’s what Christmas in the USA does to you.

rewski
    Free Member

South Downs and Stanmer Park near Brighton, both great riding, 20mins down M23. You’re not that far from Swinley Forest, great XC, big fan of Swinners.

The old East Grinstead railway line goes all the way to Groombridge near T Wells.

There’s great road riding only over Ashdown Forest too, unfortunately no MTB’s allowed on the forest.

tonyg2003

23-30mins driving.

philconsequence
    Free Member

christmas put me back up to 86.5 too!

scud
    Free Member

Hi mate, bit of a drive, but whilst you are down this way, happy to show you round Swinley, Tunnel Hill, Porridge Pot hill etc.

HTTP404
    Free Member

Crawley to Dorking is 1/2 an hour in the car according to google maps.
    Alternatively, just pop up the road to Reigate and get onto the N. Downs from there.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks folks – spent 18 months working in Farnborough a while back so did Swinley a lot BUT most of the trails are still a mystery 🙂 Will organise something if it goes ahead. Still haven’t ridden with Phil C either.

philconsequence
    Free Member

oh we will…..

rewski
    Free Member

Reigate and get onto the N. Downs from there

Great riding either direction along ND.

mikey74
    Free Member

The old East Grinstead railway line goes all the way to Groombridge near T Wells.

Yeah, and it’s dull as sh”t.

Tilgate is your best bet – I’m involved in the trail building there, and there is about 10 short, mini dh tracks there that are really good fun to session. Plus you can ride around the rest of the forest too.

There is also Deers Leap Park in East Grinstead that is good for some good ole’ xc riding. It’s not big, or high, but you can cram quite a few laps in and you can spin down to the rocks and the reservoir from there.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘3 months in Crawley’ is closed to new replies.