Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 28c to 23 or 25c – would I notice the difference?
  • smurfly13
    Free Member

I have a Specialized Sirrus with 700x28c tyres on that I purely use for road riding for fitness (MTBer really!).

Have just signed up for a 60 mile charity ride and my mates seem to be averaging a lot quicker than me so think I will struggle to keep up.

They all ride road bikes (the drop bars really aren’t for me) so contemplating changing my tyres from 28c to either 25c or 23c – would I notice the difference in resistance and therefore a speed benefit?!

Your knowledge would be mega helpful (in not making me look fat and unfit!!)

scaredypants

would I notice the difference in resistance and therefore a speed benefit?!No, not IMO

I reckon it’ll be aerodynamics mostly, with a bit of weight thrown in for good measure

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’ll feel a bit nippier, actual speed increase will be minimal.

Aero benefit at your speed = **** all.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stufield
    Free Member

there can be just as big a difference in tyre compounds, racing tyres seem to roll a lot further for less effort than puncture resistant commuting ones,

MSP

On most road surfaces, the advantage of narrower tyres is generally negated by the roughness of the tarmac. However you may find that something like a conti gp 4000 s in 25mm will just feel and roll much nicer, especially if paired with lightweight innertubes.

I don’t think they do a 28mm version if they do I would recommend that, 25mm seems to be the max for most of the nice sporty tyres 28mm tend to start being more commuter oriented and use less supple heavier carcasses and harder wearing less grippy compounds.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Less comfort, minimal speed gain. Unless they’re fubared don’t bother

smurfly13
    Free Member

They are commuter tyres that came with the Sirrus – some lined protection thing I think.

Mmm decisions decisions.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

The Specialized commuter tyres are draggy as ****. Low thread count and a thick puncture band make them that way. Stick with 28s but get something racier. You’ll notice the speed difference, but still have the comfort.

I’ve got a Conti Grand Prix and a Michelin Dynamic sport on either end of my commuter bike. Both seem good, but had no punctures on the conti.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

****. I’ll have a puncture on it next week now I’ve said that.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Always the way!!

They have a new Conti GP 4000s II in 28… but £50 a tyre mmmmm

riddoch

The 4 season version of the gp 4000 comes in 28mm, very impressed with them.

riddoch

I got them from Evans for about £35, still expensive but I should save on new inner tubes.linky

cloudnine
    Free Member

Probikekit usually have the gp4 seasons quite cheap.
    They usually have 10% discount codes and about 3% TCB

Haze

Rubble sometimes pretty good for 4000’s.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Tyre compound/puncture protection and weight will make the most difference.

The 25c Bontager “Race” tyres on my commuter feel slugglish but I put that down to the puncture protection belt in them and a compound/siped tread made for commuting. The 28c Giant P-SL (?) tyres (again with some kind of puncture protection belt) I have on another bike also don’t feel as lively as the 23c P-SL’s (no specific puncture protection) on the racer.

Dropping 100g+ per tre and going to a less draggy compound, with a more supple carcass – you should feel the difference overall. Conti GP 4 seasons are around 200g, pretty tough and roll well.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Seems the general idea from most is to go for the Conti GPs – either 4 seasons or standard 4000s … seems like the way forward, just have to find a good deal on price!

MSP

50 quid for 2 x gp4000s II 28mm with innertubes

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/continental-gp4000s-ii-tyre-set-incl-inner-tubes/aid:733754

Don’t say I never do anything for you 😉

Sounds to me like you need to get training! Having drop bars makes more of a difference IMO as does and aero position. Your mates who have a higher average are doing this alone or in bunch rides? My average for the same ride goes up but about 3kph, and thats pushing myself on my own and cruising with the bunch.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Awesome price at RoseBikes but not in stock yet.

Seems to be riding on their own… but obviously its just talk… perhaps they are just scaring me!!

eshershore
    Free Member

I run conti four seasons 25c on my commuting Sirius 300km a week does not feel much slower than my road bike running 23c unless facing wind or really putting hammer down

TiRed

You’ll notice 28c to 23c. Ride will be firmer due to higher pressure, rolling will be a little faster, cornering may feel less secure. Wheels will accelerate a little faster.

I’m a convert to 25c, it has the speed benefits of 23c and the comfort benefits of 28c and I’m struggling to see the downsides. I just need to wear down my 23c collection ;-). Note that widths can be “manufacturer-specific”. One man’s 23 can be another’s 25. Schwalbe seem about right to me.

I don’t care for continental tyres, personally.

1-shed
    Free Member

Specialized Roubaix are worth a punt, quick and comfortable. I noticed more comfort going to these from a Michelin 23c.

Macavity
    Free Member

This years Paris Roubaix was won on 30mm tyres.
    But they were all using drop bars though.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘28c to 23 or 25c – would I notice the difference?’ is closed to new replies.