• This topic has 530 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tiim.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 531 total)
  • 2017/2018 cx racing thread
  • Sam

After doing a grand total of 0 cx races last season I’m intending on hitting a few central league races this winter. Will be riding V40 with the sole aim of not being lapped….

leggyblonde
    Free Member

As an organiser (and racer) in the ever growing London League, I’m flipping glad that we have chip results.

IdleJon

As an organiser (and racer) in the ever growing London League, I’m flipping glad that we have chip results.

Don’t get me wrong – if I was still helping organise then I’d love it. As I’ve said though, I’ve got a problem with it when we get charged for it because of the supposed added value but the results still take as long as second class post.

ontor
    Free Member

Love cx racing. All the joy and good spirits of the 90s xc racing with none of the expense, ego or soullessness of modern xc.

Jase
    Free Member

Appears the Central league is ahead of the game, has live lap times.

core

Anyone raced an Arkrose?

13thfloormonk

Uh-oh, my last two ‘training’ rides have identified the running as a *massive* weakness of mine.

I actually thought I’d be OK, I’ve always found the legs to run up and down short sections when I’ve been hillwalking, but it seems when I’ve been maxing out on the pedals beforehand I’m reduced to an undignified trudge up the several sets of wooden steps on my wee lap.

My only consolation is that two of the sets are quite long and steep (circa 100 steps each on a steep gradient) and also slippy awkward wood, so hopefully harder than anything I’d encounter on a CX course.

Anyway, focus on training for the run-ups, or just keep mashing round my 1hr lap every other day, decisions decisions…

ferrals
    Free Member

My running is awful.. running up steps/banks even moreso. However, as a consolation prize it seems most average cyclocrossers are equally bad so after the first couple of laps everyone is trudging 😆

Finally saw results from last w/e, 9th in senior which I’m happy enough with. Its a good result for me (equalling my best ever placing) but a few people were missing which would have knocked me down I’m sure.

brassneck

Anyone at Wessex (Newbury) this weekend? I’m doing novice on the basis I haven’t raced anything but to the chip shop for around 15 years, and it’s closer to the U10s (have two sons with me in that).

Bottle cages off, Michelin Muds on, bargain Boardman SPDs on and the tripster is a racing machine. Shame it’s not that easy to do me 😀

leggyblonde
    Free Member

As I’ve said though, I’ve got a problem with it when we get charged for it because of the supposed added value but the results still take as long as second class post.

Fair point but if I were to charge for my time in sorting out paper results it would cost a lot more than a pound or so a rider!

13thfloormonk

My running is awful.. running up steps/banks even moreso. However, as a consolation prize it seems most average cyclocrossers are equally bad so after the first couple of laps everyone is trudging

Ha, excellent, not too fussed about results on paper, so long as I’m not visibly the slowest guy by miles trudging up a hill that everyone else is galloping up 8)

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Brass neck, how did you get on?
    I saw a tripster laying down and it reminded me of this thread…couldn’t remember the user name and didnt want to ask random people of they were from STW…!
    Took the kids (2&5 years) for nearly 2 hours including a little picnic, 5 year old wants to race which is good but 2 year old was doing her best to get knobbly tyre prints on her….!

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

London X league at Herne Hill today was super fun. Brief rain shower just before the off made everything slippery and the Vets field was packed full of fast guys. 90 starters in the V40 I heard!
    Crashed 3 times in one lap. Toned it down a bit after that.

ferrals
    Free Member

Round 2 of the Welsh league was at Llanishen school today, the last couple of years have been dry but this year there had been plenty of rain. It’s been one of my favourite courses so far and being muddy only made it better. It did mean I was wishing I had a bike in the pits by the last few laps but had family with me so no space. Can’t believe I didn’t lose a mech as it was properly clogged at the end.

Gridded on the front row but had an atrocious start, missed my pedal, then couldn’t clip in second time either, by that time the next three rows had streamed past. Had to expend a lot of energy getting past a few people but then had a great race battling with two other guys was cut and thrust for the entire race till I messed up a hairpin with quarter of a lap to go and lost them. ended up 11th out of 47 which I’m still not quite pleased with, if I’d had a good start think I could have had another top ten.

Wa quite surprised to see a couple of people going off course on one section where there was a break in the tape at the start of a long muddy slog next to some hard pack gravel court, riding along the hard pack and then nipping back under the tape. Happened on a couple of laps. Can’t really see the point, at the level we are at your only cheating yourself!

Good pub lunch with shedbrewed et al afterwards too.

warton
    Free Member

Rd 3 of CXNE, at Kirkley cycles. given the rain this week, the course was very dry, really good condition. relentless lap, absolutely full on all the way round. had to swallow some sick on the 4th lap…

Gridded around 20th, and got 16th V40, lost a place on the last corner, trying to get 14th, slid out…

5 place improvement on Rd 1, my last race, so happy with that!

bring on Whitby next week 🙂

pdw
    Free Member

Took the kids (2&5 years)

If you were near the finish during the seniors they were probably playing with our 2 & 5 yo.

Really enjoyed the first round, despite arriving late and having to ride with no warm up or sighting lap.

Nice video up here: https://www.facebook.com/cxsportive/videos/739746679483496/

jonba
    Free Member

I had a good weekend in the NECCL. Attacked on the first lap to open up a small gap. Built on it over the next 50 minutes to take the win. Course suited me – 50 minutes of short sharp intervals as it was lumpy with a slow going slightly boggy grass surface.

Not going to make it to a CXNE for a while as I’m still focussing on the hill climbs which always clash. Took 2nd at Allen Valey Velo’s double header so a good weekend of racing!

Great to see they had over 100 kids at the CXNE!

mooman
    Free Member

I never expected Llanishen to be the fast easy course some were saying beforehand; wet grass and mud made it tough.

Not the best start for me. Gridded right at back because of my DNF last week, and I stupidly positioned myself right in the middle of the row .. guaranteeing I was swamped with slower riders for practically half a lap.
    Managed to get 10th, so hopefully be in a better start position next week.
    Was amazed to see my HR averaged 180-185bpm the whole 45min race … usually I am burned out within 5-10 mins running it so high on a chaingang … not sure if it is a good or bad thing!

LS
    Free Member

Fantastic course and racing for NDCXL rd2 at Markeaton Park in Derby. Markeaton is a past Trophy venue and has everything, it’s also one of those rare courses that works when dry (like Saturday) and also as a mudbath (we go back there in mid-Nov).

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Was nice to be riding yesterday at Llanishen. If you’d have told me that I’d be out there 4 months ago as I was lying in a hospital bed with two broken vertebrae I wouldn’t have believed you. I started from the back, not expecting much and sure enough I was pretty much last place for the first couple of laps then began picking people off. Had a massive bonk around halfway which I’m putting down to 1) being unfit and 2) being massively tired due to lack of sleep from my little lad being ill/hospital trips in the last week. Finished 34/48* which I’ll take. I even had to run the last sprint to the line as my chain had shipped. Was really nice to catch up with people as well, some new faces and some old.

*ferrals one of our riders was somehow chipped in juniors, so 48 racing, not 47.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Man-flu aided London League for me yesterday. Should have probably given it a miss but the atmosphere there is the best. Scraped a 7th in the Senior Men

ferrals
    Free Member

If you’d have told me that I’d be out there 4 months ago as I was lying in a hospital bed with two broken vertebrae I wouldn’t have believed you.

I was super impresed when I saw on BC you’d entered. Amazing going considering.

Roll on Hereford.

Trying to work out how many rounds I can get away with doing at the moment. Definitely going to skip parc bryn bach and will have to skip a couple others too I think – especially if there is a welsh champs that is reasonably close.

schmiken

Competed in the inaugural round of the LRCXL yesterday. Very dry and grassy, few techs bits too. Had a good laugh trying to ride up the bank (next to a set of steps) and managed it 4 out of 7 laps.

A lack of a proper warm up led to really hurting for the first 2 laps but enjoyed it, giving me a chance to find out who my rivals are for the season. Finished 14/26, meaning a top 10 will be a goal for the season.

Should do better when it gets wetter as a lot of people were clearly strong from road racing and terrible in the corners.

IdleJon

I went to the Abergavenny Food Festival with the family on Sunday. Parked in a field which was a bit churned by cars moving across it.

As we walked across the field, my daughters said that it smelled just like a cyclocross race, just lacking bikes and half naked men changing at the boot of their car. 🙂

leggyblonde
    Free Member

There were 437 entrants for the London League races on Sunday. CX popularity certainly isn’t waning around here!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Raced Welsh League on Sunday cracking race, the course was fabulous… but WTAF … women race with the V50’s as in gridded in the middle amongst them all!!!?? I mean I know numbers aren’t huge there were maybe 12 women but COME ON… give them their own race even if it is “only” 30 second gap to the V50’s! Disappointing, Welsh league still has quite a long way to go to catch up with many of the others in so many ways frustratingly. I won’t even go there with the prize money sexism issue! 🙄

Loved all the off camber mud ..roll on t Central league this weekend although I fear Welwyn made be hard and fast and lacking in mud.

mooman
    Free Member

Munqe-chick – Member
    but WTAF … women race with the V50’s as in gridded in the middle amongst them all!!!?? I mean I know numbers aren’t huge there were maybe 12 women but COME ON… give them their own race even if it is “only” 30 second gap to the V50’s! Disappointing, Welsh league still has quite a long way to go to catch up with many of the others in so many ways frustratingly. I won’t even go there with the prize money sexism issue!

Yes – I agree to the women also in with the vets; numbers are small enough in the senior race to enable a small group to set off 15 mins later. The gaps would be significant enough by then to not make any difference when they joined.

But the prize money and sexism? Please explain that one …

bikebouy
    Free Member

Interesting reading folks, good to hear some of your experiences and thoughts.

Would you say attendance is growing substantially or is it just increasing but starting to plateau?

Don’t understand why the Welsh leagues are limiting Women’s racing, surely there’s a commissioner you can bring his attention to that particular area or even the remote BC bods…

mooman
    Free Member

As far as I know they aren’t limiting women racing; the novice women race separately, only those women who have had a few races start with vets.

I think race attendance has plateaued if the first two races are anything to go by, I guess we’ll get a better picture at end of season though.

qwerty
    Free Member

Good luck to all those racing the 3 Peaks on Sunday 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

Phone not playing, will report back later.

IdleJon

the novice women race separately, only those women who have had a few races start with vets.

And wasn’t that requested by the novice women because they didn’t like mixing it in the big fields?

steve_b77
    Free Member

3 Peaks for me today, had a mare, blew up on Simons Fell & could hardly move, got better, binned it on Peny Ghent, went to see Mountain Rescue, knackered my shoulder. Made it back in 30 mins from the top with much wincing and swearing.

CX season possibly over before it’s begun 😐

bikebouy
    Free Member

I was wondering about the 3peaks earlier…

Well I went for a hack on my CXer today, lovely and dusty..

ferrals
    Free Member

Unlucky Steve!

Welsh league round three for me. Today it’s was over the border in Herefordshire for the Foxley ‘cross. Always a pleasure to come over to this beautiful area of the countryside. The course was different from the last couple of years, more concrete and no water in the stream crossings. Unlike the mud last week it was bone dry and super bumpy off the concrete. Didn’t feel like I had a good race, good start but wasn’t riding the course well, just couldn’t get into rhythm and making silly errors. didn’t feel my head was in the right place and my legs weren’t all there. Still had a decent battle in the last couple of laps with a guy who crept up behind me and ended up only one place behind David Jey of of here.

mooman
    Free Member

Was very surprised to see Foxley so dry; it certainly made for a rougher race once off the concrete.
    I had a perfect gridding on 2nd row – and even though my start kinda looked bad when half the field overtook me before we reached top of path, it was actually pretty good; I didn`t bother sprinting off with the herd, instead finding a rhythm early on, and it seemed to pay off … HR was bit lower this week, and positioned 7th at end.

Looking forward to Pembrey

ferrals
    Free Member

The thing that got me was the bumpy run in to the hurdles, didnt feel confident approaching them at speed at all!

qwerty
    Free Member
    IdleJon

3 Peaks for me today, had a mare, blew up on Simons Fell & could hardly move,

Simons Fell, the first of the peaks? What made you blow up so early?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Great race at Central League 1st round of the season this weekend at Stanborough park, cracking course just needed the mud as it was a fast powerful roadie course. Nearly 100 V40’s! 30 women and 12 in novice women… the fields are ever growing and it’s great to see the sport flourishing so much. I had a good race for 1st league round, enjoyed it rode hard, lost my head on lap 3 but pulled it back. Some good riding and good learning points for next week, first time I’ve had to think tactically and actually race, rather than being in no mans land like most women are as the fields are so small. This is all incredibly exciting for CX racing!

MK this weekend … looking relatively dry again.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 531 total)

The topic ‘2017/2018 cx racing thread’ is closed to new replies.