• This topic has 530 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tiim.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 531 total)
  • 2017/2018 cx racing thread
  • 13thfloormonk

Not sure if its your first or not but having become a father in January my tip would be to try and fit in the training on the way to work rather than back.

Interesting, thanks for the insight, could tie it in with doing the early shift with baba so I’m already awake. Also means some of the easier sections are slightly uphill instead of slightly downhill, can’t hurt for training effort!

Does mean arriving at the office coated in clart right enough… 8)

robbo1234biking

How competitive are the regional races? I am just getting back into biking and have ordered a CX bike as a commuter/all rounder as it seems more practical form most of my riding versus my mtb.

I tempted to try one or two races in the local league (Derby & Notts) as they are close and it would be good to have something to aim for with my training/commuting. I am happy to come last but would like to come last at least have been vaguely competitive not behind from the very start!

cloudnine
    Free Member

How competitive are the regional races

Make sure you can pretty much ride flat out on the limit for an hour, run up some steps, fall over in the mud.. and throw in some banter whilst trying to breathe and not throw up and it’s good fun. It’s all competitive as you have a mini race even within the race you’ll end up racing 3 or 4 guys who are at your level.. whether that’s the front or the back…

ferrals
    Free Member

not to mention trying to latch on if the really fast guys lap you or weaving through people you are lapping

13thfloormonk

Oh, and I know it’s almost another thread’s worth, but I’ve also got a singlespeed ‘almost’ CX bike that I use for the commute.

Whats the accepted best gear for singlespeed cx?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve got a newborn arriving in a day or two and the first race of the Scottish CX season proper is 1st October, so I’ll basically be getting all my training/practice in on my commute once I return from paternity leave, so 5 weeks sporadic, sleep deprived training

First one? If so good luck with that. Our first was a massive upheaval and I didn’t do any exercise for a year, put on 5kg, lived mostly off chocolate, and spent much of the time walking around like a zombie. Second child, I missed about 2 days of training, no idea why the first seemed so hard 🙂

I did wonder if there was any benefit to exhausted sleep deprived training, bit like fasted training, but unfortunately there isn’t 🙁

Make sure you can pretty much ride flat out on the limit for an hour, run up some steps, fall over in the mud.. and throw in some banter whilst trying to breathe and not throw up and it’s good fun.

Can’t wait 🙂

13thfloormonk

First one? If so good luck with that. Our first was a massive upheaval and I didn’t do any exercise for a year, put on 5kg, lived mostly off chocolate, and spent much of the time walking around like a zombie.

Yeah… I know fine well I have no idea what it will actually be like, but am pinning my hopes on the ride to work keeping me going, it’s genuinely quicker than driving. Will just be a case of finding a strong enough picker-upper in the morning, might even start putting sugar in my double espressos 8)

Garry_Lager

robbo1234biking – Member

How competitive are the regional races? I am just getting back into biking and have ordered a CX bike as a commuter/all rounder as it seems more practical form most of my riding versus my mtb.You always get into your own battles, as said, but they’re so absorbing with cross – more so than any other racing I’ve done. Course dependent, but it’s usually really technical racing. Not in the MTB sense meaning hard to ride, more that the racing presents a lot of options – high / low in the turns, run / don’t run decisions, line choices through the mud, defend your position with a bit of a go-slow etc etc. While it does take time to get smooth with the dismount / remount stuff, all of this is basically accessible from day one.

LS
    Free Member

How competitive are the regional races?
    I tempted to try one or two races in the local league (Derby & Notts)

N+Ds have traditionally been one of the strongest leagues in terms of rider quality and depth of field but there are no ‘easy’ races anywhere now, the explosion in numbers has seen quality riders everywhere.
    It makes no real odds though, wherever you are in the field there’ll be someone to race against, if you’re up at the front or two laps down.
    Depending on which category you’re in there could be up to 90 riders around you and more from the other categories on course with the staggered starts.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Anyone else giving the Scottish series a go?

Tempting, but when I looked before it looked like a LOT of travelling for not a lot of race time.

Will try and take a look and see where this year’s rounds are located this afternoon.

Garry_Lager

13thfloormonk – Member

Oh, and I know it’s almost another thread’s worth, but I’ve also got a singlespeed ‘almost’ CX bike that I use for the commute.

Whats the accepted best gear for singlespeed cx? I feel like I’m quite low in the gears for most courses – I run a 38 oval with a 32 cassette, and I’m seldom cranking it round down the block. So singlespeed for me would be starting from something fairly small. OTOH, you could use 38 x 20 and look to get off and run like a bstard at every opportunity.

robbo1234biking

You always get into your own battles, as said, but they’re so absorbing with cross – more so than any other racing I’ve done. Course dependent, but it’s usually really technical racing. Not in the MTB sense meaning hard to ride, more that the racing presents a lot of options – high / low in the turns, run / don’t run decisions, line choices through the mud, defend your position with a bit of a go-slow etc etc. While it does take time to get smooth with the dismount / remount stuff, all of this is basically accessible from day one.

That’s why I am interested. I would never have a hope at a XC race as my riding isn’t good enough but this seems a little more tactical and more accessible as well. I am pretty good on my mtb on slippy conditions, not so much down rock gardens etc!

13thfloormonk

I run a 38 oval with a 32 cassette

Good, I’ve got a 38 on my geared bike right now, so once my shifting invariably packs in I’ll get to experiment.

Tempting, but when I looked before it looked like a LOT of travelling for not a lot of race time.

Depends where you live I guess, the reason I’m so gung-ho despite the newborn on the horizon is that 4 of the 7ish SCX races are really close to Edinburgh, i.e. Glasgow, Falkirk, Dunfermile, Kinross-ish.

The others are Irvine (not far from Glasgow but too far for me) Aberdeenshire and Mull. I’d love to do the Mull one but travelling that far mid-december? Nah…

fifeandy
    Free Member

Depends where you live I guess

NE Corner of NE Fife.
    Dunfermline an and Lochore Meadows are fine for me.
    Glasgow, Falkirk and Aberdeenshire are a bit far for a 1hr event imo.
    Irvine and Mull – err, no!

adsh
    Free Member

Taking the plunge and entering my first CX at Abingdon on Thursday!

Very light rigid SS 29er geared 34:17 stupidly spinny?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Taking the plunge and entering my first CX at Abingdon on Thursday!

If my back is ok by then I might be there too for similar plunging experience 🙂

Very light rigid SS 29er geared 34:17 stupidly spinny?

Don’t know the course but dalton barracks is pan flat and I doubt it’ll be that muddy. Heard that an XC bike is usually a bit faster there as the surface is so bumpy.

13thfloormonk

NE Corner of NE Fife

D’oh! Yeah, that would turn it into a half day affair and a lot of petrol money.

Maybe see you at Lochore or Dunfermline then

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Taking the plunge and entering my first CX at Abingdon on Thursday

If my back is ok by then I might be there too for similar plunging experience

I’ll be there so if you see me (blue Bicester kit, matching blue C’dale, flouro orange bar tap and lid) say hi. They grid from the previous rounds’ result so last week I started on the back row having missed a week, but the field is small enough that it’s not an issue (I finished 5th vet so should be front row-gridded this week). Juniors go off first, then seniors, then vets, then ladies, with about a minute between.

Don’t know the course but dalton barracks is pan flat and I doubt it’ll be that muddy. Heard that an XC bike is usually a bit faster there as the surface is so bumpy.

The infield is pan-flat mown grass (with a sandpit and usually barriers), then they use an outfield section which is bumpy, lumpy and rough. CX bikes are fine but most of the podium guys are on mtbs. So assuming rigid 29er is running fatter tyres than the CX bikes you’ll be all good. It drains really well so even the winter rounds there are pretty firm ground.

ferrals
    Free Member

13thfloormonk – Member

mrblobby –
    First one? If so good luck with that. Our first was a massive upheaval and I didn’t do any exercise for a year, put on 5kg, lived mostly off chocolate, and spent much of the time walking around like a zombie.

Yeah… I know fine well I have no idea what it will actually be like, but am pinning my hopes on the ride to work keeping me going, it’s genuinely quicker than driving. Will just be a case of finding a strong enough picker-upper in the morning, might even start putting sugar in my double espressos [/quote]

Just remember these sorts of comments and use it to fuel the trianing fire! Thats what I did 😆

The first couple of months were hard. I did a lot of turbo stuff but then it was Jan and Feb. I’m surprised to note according to strava that ours was born in the early hours of the 9th and on the 10th I tried Trainerroads Goddard workout (though I failed with 15 minutes to go) and managed to do the whole of the weeks plan otherwise. It was about a month after that I got more erratic in my training.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ll be there so if you see me (blue Bicester kit, matching blue C’dale, flouro orange bar tap and lid)

Newbury RC kit on a black and orange TCX if I make it 🙂 From what I’ve heard I’m tempted to ride the XC bike, but it’s not like I’m going to be particularly competitive and it’d defeat the objective of getting a race on the CX bike under my belt.

ferrals
    Free Member

From what I’ve heard I’m tempted to ride the XC bike, but it’s not like I’m going to be particularly competitive and it’d defeat the objective of getting a race on the CX bike under my belt.

There’s one or two races in our leauge that the proverbial “they” say is faster on an xc bike, but I always think its not the point. cx is for cx, its what makes it so fun 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

How competitive are the regional races?

i’m a reasonable rider but i’m definatly near the back in CX (never DFL though) but as above there is always some one to race/ hang on to. I’m hooked.

all of this is basically accessible from day one.

I’d never done a mount/ dismount until my first race.

lots of good encouragement from spectators too. Genuinely positive encouragement on my first race for an early dismount and a wide line to let the top two come through; silly but i was really chuffed; felt like i was doing a good job (even in second to last!)

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

it’d defeat the objective of getting a race on the CX bike under my belt.

but I always think its not the point. cx is for cx, its what makes it so fun

completely agree – mildly inappropriate bikes is half the fun, and these summer races are “racing as training” so I get used to the bike as well as get race-fit.

How competitive are the regional races

We raced across 5 different regional leagues last year, and at every one the field covers the range from wobbly nervous newbie with reflectors and flat pedals to sponsored Elite mtber/roadie with warm-up rollers and a matching spare bike, so whatever your standard you’ll get a ‘race’, but there’s also enough room and consideration that everyone gets on and lapping/backmarker overtakes are very friendly and civil (If I’m behind a slower rider from a different category I’ll say “vet” so they know I’m not racing them for position).

mrblobby
    Free Member

Newbie question, how do you know their category? Different race number colour or something like that?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

At the Summer Series each cat has different coloured numbers (so seniors are blue, vets are purple), from memory at Central each cat gets a number range.

Also, skinny 15yr olds and ladies tend not to look much like haggard greying vets 😀

ferrals
    Free Member

Balls, you beat me tooit, I was just about to write the vets are the ones with grey hair and the grand vets have wrinkles too

adsh
    Free Member

Thanks all – I’ll be there – Blue Rides on Air jersey and an XC bike of some description.

Not sure I can do 40minutes without a bottle……

bianchiboy
    Free Member

So….I’m thinking about racing my MTB single speed rigid 29er in the Eastern centre series at grand vet level mainly just my local Essex rounds.

I have done a fair few xc races and finished nowhere near last,what are my chances bearing in mind I’m just after some winter fun.

Will I be the only MTB?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Adsh you won’t have time to take on a bottle I GUARANTEE it! There is no point where you have time or is unforgiving enough to grab a bottle and take a zip. Suck it up and suffer 😉 see you there!

adsh
    Free Member

Yikes – sounds horrific..

ferrals
    Free Member

I thought the same, but the thirst doesnt register over the pain in your lungs and legs 😀

Just makes sure well hydrated before

mrblobby
    Free Member

Anyone know if entry on the day at the Take3Tri summer CX is likely to be a problem tomorrow? Know there are a few who ride there here.

pdw
    Free Member

Won’t be a problem. Just seen that online entries are closed. Previously it’s be OK to enter on the Wednesday.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes, sure it was open on the Wednesday a few weeks back. Made me wonder if it’s full. I’ll check their facebook tomorrow.

adsh
    Free Member

Ooops – I’ve assumed entry on the day was OK.

adsh
    Free Member

Ooops – I’ve assumed entry on the day was OK.

pdw
    Free Member

Yes – entry on the day will be fine.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve assumed entry on the day was OK.

Could be a few just from this thread entering on the day!

pdw
    Free Member

There’s only 17 entered online. It’ll be fine.

https://www.entrycentral.com/festival/1213

mrblobby
    Free Member

Smashing, thanks pdw.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 531 total)

The topic ‘2017/2018 cx racing thread’ is closed to new replies.