• This topic has 780 replies, 86 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ac282.
Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 781 total)
  • 2017 XC Racing Thread
  • r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Sherwood results up

http://www.timelaps.co.uk/assets/uploads/Midland%20XC%20Rd%201%20SherwoodPines.pdf

I managed 26th out of 60 in the Sport Category. Happy with that considering what bike I was on.

ferrals
    Free Member

Nice one. Big field that! We’re lucky to get 20 in Wales.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

XC has been getting bigger and bigger each year recently. It’s great to see. 60 is the biggest field I’ve ever raced in though.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Kudos to all those pining a number on.

Few more weeks until I kick things off, however I spend Sunday afternoon walking our XC course planning new lines and extensions for the new season which really sparked my interest in racing and race organising again.

ferrals
    Free Member

@r8jimbob88, thats bigger than the fields in the nationals! think I’ll make the effort to come over for some of the midlands races next year.

juanghia
    Free Member

Soggy Bottoms at Newnham this weekend, pulled the Niner RDO out of the pile of bikes to ride and the BB is seized solid.

Can’t be bothered with changing the gear ratios or summer tyres could be interesting!

jam-bo

Can’t be bothered with changing the gear ratios or summer tyres could be interesting!

forecast is drying up from tomorrow and quite windy so should dry out pretty fast. think I might give this one a go as I’ve missed the first two rounds.

juanghia
    Free Member

I’ve not done much either since the Stinger, so I’m starting by carb loading on biscuits this morning.

I saw on their FB page they’ve put in a few drops so it should be fun.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

I was at Sherwood Pines yesterday too – there were 83(!) riders in Vets. Nuts!
    Also pleased to be back to mid pack obscurity after being ill for the Cannock Winter Classic 😛

jam-bo

I’m quite tempted to do the fun race in the morning as the timing works out better.

juanghia
    Free Member

I much prefer the morning starts. I once did the Fun races a few years back as our child was very small and like you say the timings were just better. However, the ripping I got for winning them was a bit too much to suffer so I didn’t do it again.

weeksy

Luckily i’m not going to have the problem in a few weeks as i don’t see myself winning even in Fun 🙂

jam-bo

I’m not sure I’m in any danger of even winning the fun race…

Although it might be quite nice to not get lapped.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Just bailed on HTN in favour of Dalby Forest the day after. Looks like the Scalpel will be fixed up in time so a good chance to try and redeem myself after my fiasco at Sherwood! Anyone know if I can transfer a HTN entry to another name?

adsh
    Free Member

Got to work out what events to do now there is no Erlestoke, G100 or Summer Monkey. A event is BBD, do I try and do national marathon champs in IOM and train using the Scott Marathons or stick with XC and do the remaining southern XC events…. Not done a Scott Marathon before.

Kryton57

Well, slight feverish, aching yesterday and two days of the screaming shits.

I guess its rest week. 😐

jam-bo

signed last night for the soggys fun race in the morning. only 4 pre-entered so I’m aiming for 3rd…

jam-bo

I swear I saw dust at newnham this morning. Suffered a bit on the climbs but the downs were awesome. I’m not sure I have the constitution for xc racing.

wheely
    Free Member

Newnham climbs hardest of that series. Well one climb anyway. Enjoyed that race

jam-bo

The one after the quarry drop? Was a bit steep.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Raced Nutcracker Round 1 at Dalby Forest this morning on the World Cup course. Managed to pull off 2nd in Sport Cat. My first podium in this category. Absolute fantastic course. Looking forward to the nationals there later this year!

Kryton57

Awesome day at Battle of the Beach today. 16 degrees and sunny. Good to meet Yak. No idea where I came but I rode faster and with more power than last year so lastbweeks enforced rest did me good.

Some brilliant riding especially echelons and turns on the Beach, amazing to be riding at 25mph on an mtb – with the exception of a couple of idiots running through thorn bushes on the first lap to try and force a wheel in front at the first pinch point – happens every time though.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Did Hit the North on Saturday after a week of Manflu followed by 10 days of antibiotics due to my first ever case of tonsillitis!

Went off way too fast, heart rate through the roof, calmed down k the 2nd lap and got it back to an average where I know I can keep going, managed 6 laps in aboit 2hrs 15 so happy with that, haven’t got a bloody clue where I came yet.

Roll on Builth Wells for the Night & Day Marathons in 2 weeks.

Kryton57

Which one are you doing Steve? I’m doing the day 75k.

steve_b77
    Free Member

The 75km one Kryton, although it’ll no doubt come in at about 62km as usual, and the 40km (32km last year) night time.

Come say hello, I’m quite easy to spot in my team kit.

Oh yeah, came 44th at HTN, which I’m. Happy with given recent events.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Glad to hear that the race went well Kryton! Nice work

Kryton57

Cheers. ‘Chef. Steve what kit are you? Ill be moonlighting in blue PB Cycles RT top single pink band on the sleeve.

everyone
    Free Member

Right, nutrition talk time. I’ve been using skratch for a while now but I fancy a change since I’ve just run out.

As I see it, I can either carry on keeping bottles for hydration and gels as fuel (which seems to work for me but I don’t know if it’s the most effective method) or I could use something like torq/high 5 in my bottles and potentially use less gels (depending on how I’m feeling of course).

I’d like to keep it fairly natural and avoid really sweet things (like the high 5 energy powder) as I find they can get a bit sickly by the end of a race.

I know that everyone is different but I’m interested to see if there’s a general consensus on anything.

ferrals
    Free Member

I go for the high5 zero in a bottle (1 tablet per 700ml bottle) and gels. The one time i tried a bottle of energy drink i got really bad cramp.
    I might switch to using isogels not standard gels as if hot gels are a bit cloying. I’m happy with the sugary stuff though, typically dont have that much, one befre the start and a couple during race.

Pembrey next weekend?

Well done r8Jimbob88 on the podium! I loved racing Dalby last year, cant make nationals so hope its still on next year!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    Cheers. ‘Chef. Steve what kit are you? Ill be moonlighting in blue PB Cycles RT top single pink band on the sleeve.

KTM Impsport kit, black with a big orange band across the chest and fluro orange / yellow sleeves.

As for the nutrition, I used to have the High 5 stuff but it can get sickly, I now use Nutrixxion (granted they’re a team sponsor) but it’s actually nice and doesn’t give me gut rot. They nice flavours too

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I’ve been using Tailwind nutrition for the last couple of years with very good success.

http://www.tailwindnutrition.co.uk/

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Cheers ferrals. I’m proper chuffed! I’m also at Pembrey on Saturday. I’m driving down Friday night and staying over. Never raced there before, seen a clip form last year and it looks good fun. Looks more sandy than muddy?

everyone
    Free Member

Pembrey next weekend?

Nah it’s just too far away, was at BotB at the weekend and the journey was exhausting!

I might get some samplers of the nutrixxion and tailwind stuff and see how I get on.

Kryton57

Nutrition for me is mostly MyProtien. I use Pro:Long for my bottles, and Soy Protien Isolate for recovery, with something to eat for the carbs.

From an eating perspective I generally stick to “wholefoods” – Mts K is really good as finding wholefood snacks – like the wholefood millionare shortbread bites – from Ocado.

I used High5 Gels on the bike although I’m trying SIS at the moment.

ferrals
    Free Member

@r8jimbob88, yeah more sandy than muddy, but we’ve a fair amount of rain forecast so sure it will get muddy in places. Its great race venue IMO, I’ll be in sport too.

here’s a vid I made of the elite races last year:
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbZMjU4yuCshttp://[/video]

I’m fully expecting to be smashed as not trained this year at all, fitness isn’t attrocious but not done anything sprinty or high intensity since early december!

iain65
    Free Member

ferrals – nice video, just got the van packed and heading to Pembrey with the caravan, please say hi if you are there, I’m number 620 (I think) in GV, bright orange kit and a black Top Fuel.
    Have a good one.
    Iain

ferrals
    Free Member

Probably see you there iain, I’m racing sport on sat, blue white and maroon kit, no 459. Slightly concerned with where I’ve been gridded given aformentioned lack of fitness. I’m imagining being crushed by a stampede of up-for-it youngsters!

Some mates did a trail run there last night and said it was very dry despite some rain the last few days 🙂

michael01
    Free Member

Its good idea but i am not interested it.

ferrals
    Free Member

I’m toying with the idea of racing the Builth mtb marathon next weekend. Never done one, never even ridden 65km before, longest ride i’vedonerecently is about an hour and a half. Dumb idea? I’m also confused as to whether it’s actually a race or a sportive type thing as they give rider times not positions. Could do the 45km one I guess. How technical are they?

jam-bo

I’ve been using Tailwind nutrition for the last couple of years with very good success.

http://www.tailwindnutrition.co.uk/

Do they make you fart?

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 781 total)

The topic ‘2017 XC Racing Thread’ is closed to new replies.