2017 XC Racing Thread

Home Forum Bike Forum 2017 XC Racing Thread

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 781 total)
  • 2017 XC Racing Thread
  • r8jimbob88

Don’t think there’s another thread for this yet so this could be the first and only race i’ll win this year….

Who’s got their sights set on what this year?

How’s the training going?

Me – I’ve penciled in all of the Nutcracker, Midlands and Nationals. It’s going to be a busy year! Kicks off on 19th March for the Midlands race at Sherwood pines which was a great course last year. I’ll be racing the sport category and hoping to collect some points. It’ll be my first year with a race license.

I’ve also ditched the hardtail for a short travel f/s….

Manx 100 on 30th July could also happen for me.

Premier Icon everyone
    Subscriber

I’m busy trying to either get my hands on an Orbea Oiz or find something else to race this year.

Bit concerned I might have left it a bit late to get a test ride then buy a bike before racing starts!

My season kicks off at battle on the beach although I’m doing that on a tandem so it’s more for fun (the captain might have other ideas though…). I’m planning on doing as many midlands and nationals as I can and maybe throw in some FNSS rounds if I get chance.

I’m racing sport so I should see you at midlands jimbob!

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

My plan is to do some Gorrick racing potentially and maybe an XC Rampage or 2. Training as per the Zwift thread is going swimmingly, although due to the rubish weather i have to admit i’m not getting out on the XC stuff as much as i’d ideally like. However when i am riding, i’m doing FoD/Swinley/BPW etc so trying to get the skills as sorted as i can.
    I always wonder if it’s skills or fitness that holds me back at XC Racing and i think it’s fitness more so.

ferrals

Mid field to back marker in Sport here. In fact given current fitness, certainly a back marker this year.

Planning on doing all the Welsh XC races except for the one at ‘degla. Would like to do that too as enjoyed it last year but its a bit too much of schlep this year.

Also doing the two nationals in wales and the one at Wasing. Might negotiate doing Dalby as I loved that last year, but highly unlikely.

I promised I wasnt going to take racing seriously this year and not think about training till it got towards CX season because we’ve got too much on. However, I’m already excited! My fitness is really poor at the moment, managing to turbo a bit but can’t remeber when I last rode outside 😥

r8jimbob88

Dalby is a fantastic course and there’s a chance i’ll be there twice (Nutcracker and Nationals).

I’ve had a decent start to the year fitness wise. Plenty of turbo hours. I’ve also bought a CX bike recently which certainly gives a good workout on the rougher stuff! I reckon i’m on par with where my peak fitness was last year. I’m happy with that and plenty of time to increase my fitness further before racing begins. A week in Tenerife at the end of this month should help!

LS

Just turned veteran but CX is my focus so if I do any XC it’ll just be local stuff as I can’t be faffed with the travel for national MTB racing anymore.

Premier Icon adsh
    Subscriber

I’m training hard but races are fairly few. Gorrick 100 and Brighton Big Dog are A events for me. I’d also like to revisit Erlestoke 12 (the 6hr) and Summer Monkey if it’s on. Thereafter I’m not sure.

I am still mentally scarred from TIYS so not planning on any 12hr racing. Might possibly try some long distance ITTs after BBD.

pete68

Proper xc racing? Probably nothing as there’s none close enough to me to make it worth while. Got a solo place at 24/12 and may do a pairs again at mayhem. I’d like to do torq in your sleep again but will see nearer the time.
    @adsh I see your name down for the Braunton150. Make sure you bring your climbing legs!

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

I’ve got a bike that weighs less than 30lbs again, so I’m planning to enter Hit The North and the Midweek Madness series.

Anyone aware of anything else in the North West?

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Im in the mud sweat and gears series again, ill be riding Beastway in London, the Scott Marathons and 12 hour Solo at Pivot 24/12.

Training is middling. I seem to have improved sustainable power for climbing & sprint power, not improved overall power, and currently have burning quads everytime i interval. First race 25th Feb so ill see how winter went.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

Probably the rest of the soggy bottom winter series.
    Probably the soggy bottom summer series.

Got a pivot 24/12 24solo entry but having second thoughts at the moment.

Premier Icon chrispo
    Subscriber

Has anyone done the MAD xc races in Stroud? Any good? Much climbing? Any tech?

Premier Icon sefton
    Subscriber

not really made my mind up yet, but could well do a few midlands and some midweek stuff.new turbo came today after it was nicked at bradford cx

wheely

Have done Mud n Sweat night series and now started soggy bottom winter series. Just getting into the xc scene but have a bike probs far too heavy (30lb) so looking at lightening it or getting a 2nd one.

tomvet

I did every round of the Mad xc series last year and one this year so far, well organised and a good course, last race was about 12 miles and 2000ft of climbing. The downhills are all single-track quite steep and muddy/off camber in places but nothing too tech. First race this year I had ideas above my station and shot off like a rat out a drainpipe and then went backwards quickly 😳

Premier Icon adsh
    Subscriber

adsh I see your name down for the Braunton150. Make sure you bring your climbing legs!

I’m a maybe atm. Lots of race training but sod all miles. Will decide on the next couple of weeks.

Premier Icon chrispo
    Subscriber

Thanks tomvet. Sounds good. Prob be there Sunday week. Will see how I get on (haven’t raced xc for a few years) and then maybe do the Welsh series. Fed up with coming last in enduro 🙂

Premier Icon mrlebowski
    Subscriber

BC Bike Race for me this year so skipping all the smaller stuff.

I want to keep my racing mojo hungry!

Bream

I’m in the midst of training and my 2017 aim is to race as many of the Mitsubishi MTB Challenge rounds as possible; some rounds are far up north and too far for me to go with a young family at home. This is called the Langloppscupen in Sweden which could be called Marathon MTB racing in English; basically between 80-100km XC racing.

In addition I intend to race the Cykelvasan which is an MTB race over the Swedish classic XC skiing course.

Aim is to improve on my times and positions from last year.

Premier Icon mick_r
    Subscriber

Nutcracker + Midweek Madness for me and youngest son, plus eldest lad and Mrs will also be doing a few NPS rounds and National Champs.

I might actually be a bit faster, as the eldest keeps dragging me out on weekend road rides (this is the first winter he’s done “proper” training).

Bream – would you mind me dropping you an email sometime? Looks like we’ll be in South Sweden for a couple of weeks in summer – probably doing a bit with http://www.ridgecycling.com/

iain65

In an act of madness I’ve entered the 6 day Andalucia Bike Race with three others at the end of this month, 6 days of marathon distance stages :oops:! Training has gone well so far with some big miles in January, looking forward to a taper!

If I survive that it will be Midlands XC and National XC in GV.
    Iain.

Premier Icon chrispo
    Subscriber

Mick, I did a half-day with Lonnie from http://www.ridgecycling.com a few years ago. Nice chap. Enjoyed apart from the steep bit where I forgot the Euro brakes and landed on my head… Bear in mind Southern Sweden’s not the hilliest of places so not much in the way of big descents. Better to head further north!

steve_b77

I’m starting with the Cannock Winter Classic later this month in fat bike class, probably preceded by HTN the day before.

I’ll aim to do the Mid Week Madness series too, but not much in June as that’s all about Mountain Mayhem solo again, would like to go better than 9th overall this year.

May well do a round or two of the Welsh XC and possibly the Midlands, but definitely a couple of MTB Marathon series rounds.

Non competitive wise I’m doing the Trans Cambrian for my 40th and planning on riding the 140km to the start and then the 140km back home after we’ve finished the event, then it’s Mayhem taper time.

Premier Icon mick_r
    Subscriber

Cheers Chrispo. Last few summers have been alps / pyrenees so flatter will make a change 🙂 would really like to be riding further north but ferry options limited and don’t want to be driving forever (family of 4 with bikes and gear is hell on a plane). Are there any rocky bits that far south? Flat-ish with rock outcrops was fun around Stockholm when we did sswc.

Premier Icon chrispo
    Subscriber

Most of Sweden is littered with random lumps of rock but the ride we did was very English – open woodland finishing with a jumpy trail centre type descent under a ski lift. It was fun, just not Alpine. I don’t know the south of Sweden well enough to give you any advice I’m afraid. I lived up north near Åre, which has a bit more elevation. I’m sure you’ll still have fun given that you’re reading the 2017 XC thread not the 2017 Gnarduro thread 🙂

beardo

Is there a how to get started in XC racing thread at all?

Could do with a bit of a challenge but not sure where to start?

Cheers

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

Could do with a bit of a challenge but not sure where to start?

find your nearest race.

bite the bullet and enter.

get dropped, get lapped, try not to throw up.

repeat.

simply_oli_y

Making a return to some racing after a few years out.
    Not looking forward to being thrown back into expert!

Got the Sudety mtb challenge in July – 6 days of racing in Poland and Czech.
    Alongside some Scottish Xc series and a few other longer things. Always preferred marathon type racing over out and out xc.

Bream

Hi Mick,

I know Lonnie and Nellie and even did some guiding for Lonnie a few years back, albeit road stuff with groups of Danes at that time. Lonnie and co will look after you well and show you around Hallandsåsen, he knows the area very well. There isn’t a lot of height there but there’s a lot of up and down with very natural trails.

Southern Sweden is pretty flat but there some wonderful riding to be had. Are you alone or a group, I could also take you out if you had time and even lend you a bike etc.

I was one of the original trail builders at Vallåsen and organised the Swedish cup DH race there, so I have a close bond with that hill.

Premier Icon mick_r
    Subscriber

Hi Mr Bream. Thanks for the info – I’ll drop you a mail over weekend to avoid derailing the race thread 🙂

Talking of races, looks like hit the north is almost open for business (on bc website but can’t enter yet)

Premier Icon shortcut
    Subscriber

Racing for 2017 starts tomorrow and keeps going all week. Will also be doing Big Dog, some Gorrick events and anything else that catches my eye.

Hopefully I will be fit enough.

core

Sold my racey xc frame, now got a hankering to try a race, it’ll have to be on my Solaris though….

Will hopefully do all the Scott MTB Marathon events, then depending on fitness throw some XC races in. 2 yrs ago I managed to ‘place’ top 10 on the MTB Marathon at Rhayader, short route, 25k so reckon I’d be alright in short xc races fitness being similar.

Is anyone doing that cotswold job next Sunday?

alanl

Friday Night Summer Series, Leics/Warks/Northants area.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/FNSSMTB/

core

What sort of weight are people getting 29″ race hardtails down to?

Just weighed my Solaris at 27.5lb (with pedals, bottle cage, and Garmin) with a 2.4 front tyre, that’s 2×10 with 100mm reba.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Oh dear.

Mines 21.5lb with a new seat post arriving on my birthday that’ll take the .5 off. I could still lose weight on the stem, saddle, top cap & spacers also.

Reba also, 1×11 but I left my Garmin off 🙂

core

Garmin must be 3lb 😆

I’m best part of 15st mind, so a few pounds in the frame are hardly an issue tbh.

Bream

I also hope to manage most of the CX Cup; short course XC racing = pain/bleeding lungs/death etc…

Premier Icon celticdragon
    Subscriber

Anyone know of a race around Bedfordshire? I’d like to go and watch to see if it’s within my skill set, I know I’m not fit enough to race. I promised myself when I made veteran class, I’d pin a number on again.

Roter Stern

The XC race acene has died on its arse in this part of Germany it’s the marathon races that attract the numbers these days. Got my first race in March which could either be a mud fest or a snow fest. Doing it fully rigid singlespeed to see how I get on then got some Rebas to put on for the rest if the season. I’ve been invited to join a local club which means I can get a German racing licence so I might do a few more road races this year and my new mtb/cross team wants to enter a few races in the Czech Republic and Poland as the courses are supposed to be a lot better than those in Germany as they have less strict access laws.

alanl

Anyone know of a race around Bedfordshire? I’d like to go and watch to see if it’s within my skill set, I know I’m not fit enough to race. I promised myself when I made veteran class, I’d pin a number on again.

Usually at least one race in Beds.:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/FNSSMTB/
    FNSS

None confirmed for Beds, yet, see the AGM for confirmed venues, one at MK, others in Northants, so not far from you.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 781 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.