• This topic has 780 replies, 86 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ac282.
Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 781 total)
  • 2017 XC Racing Thread
  • iain65
    Free Member

Ferrals – you definitely are right at the sharp end – just go for it! Hopefully see you tomorrow, raining here now 🙁

chrispo
    Free Member

Iain, mtb marathons are definitely races for the first 50-100 riders. Not technical. Do night race if long seems too long, but you’ll be fine. Good luck tomorrow.

ferrals
    Free Member

Good to meet you Iain, good luck tomorrow!

Enjoyed Pembrey today, fun course and had some close racing. Funnily enough, despite poor preparation and no structured training I came more or less where I came in all the Nationals last year. Chasing commuters and sleep deprivation has there merits!

Hope whoever it was came acropper on the a line is ok.

Edit. Cheers Chrispo. Might give it a crack!

Kryton57

Do it Ferrals – I’ll see you there!

iain65
    Free Member

Likewise Ferral, good to meet you and well done yesterday. Thanks, Iain.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Pembrey was a fantastic course. The A lines were fantastic and a fair bit quicker than the B lines. I’m happy with the results. Despite being gridded at the back I provisionally came 8th in the Sport cat. Saying that, I’ve been missed from the results completely but the lap timer guy had a paper record with me on it. I reckon my chip was goosed!

Midlands Swynnerton next weekend folks? That’ll be 4 races in 4 weekends for me!

ferrals
    Free Member

Well done! Your gridding to placing was the reverse of mine 😆

My only criticism is we could have done another lap to get to the 1.5hr time, though given that I lost 3-4 places on the last lap no bad thing for my result! Lost two places messing up gearing on the climb to the first a/b split 😳

Thought the a-b lines were spot on, I road all the b lines and apart from the last one there was only a couple of seconds in it

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Yea another lap definitely. Reckon I’d have gained another two places with another lap as I was closing in on the guys ahead!

My mate is racing Expert today. He’s doing 5 laps and Elite are doing 6.

Those two sandy climbs were horrific!

njee20
    Free Member

That’s the normal number of laps for expert/elite. Heard they shortened it, sounds an odd choice.

ferrals
    Free Member

Shortened the lap number or the course? It was a long lap distance but my lap times mid pack sport were 22.55, 22.55, 23.20 (pleased with the consistency 😆 ). The sport winner must have been sub an hour. Would have been faster today as the puddles/damp bits were were being ridden dry yesterday afternoon.

jam-bo

Thought the a-b lines were spot on, I road all the b lines and apart from the last one there was only a couple of seconds in it

I thought b lines were supposed to be a disadvantage?

iain65
    Free Member

Anyone got a link to the results today in Pembrey? I think I ended up 15th in GV but not sure, lost my chain on the sandy steep climb on the last lap and my team mate got past me, which did make him happy at least! In fairness, he was quicker than me!
    Managed all the a lines which was looking doubtful on Saturday so pleased with the weekend all in all.

njee20
    Free Member

Shortened the lap number or the course?

Sorry, meant I heard they shortened the sport race, a friend was racing. Not the others.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I think they use the Sport race as a bit of a Guinea pig to help decide the number of laps for the Sunday races. My lap times were all around 21min 30s give or take a few seconds.

I’m still waiting for the results to be fixed as I’m still missing!

iain65
    Free Member

All my lap times were in the 21 mins as well going by Strava, the a-b line deficits as I saw it were:
    Gap jump, 5 secs
    Rooty descent, 8 secs
    Hobbit drop, 5 secs

All seemed pretty fair.

ferrals
    Free Member

Good result Iain! Somewhat regretting not trying the a-lines. Even though I know it makes no difference whether I come 20th or 30th afterwards I always look at the results and count the seconds 😳 according to my hr monitor I wasn’t trying hard enough either, average hr 160, probably as I was spinning out a lot on the flat. (Race was same time as a cx race where average hr is 175+ )

Pretty certain I could have ridden the a-lines but didn’t get a chance to practise them arriving at 1.15 for the 2.30 race. That’s my one bugbear with the national series, the 12-2 practise is so congested it’s hard for sport riders to get a full practise lap in and a decent look at the a-b lines. That said, at Pembrey, it would have probably been fine if I’d got there to start at twelve.

Had said I wouldn’t do Wasing but might have to break that promise!

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

My average HR for Pembrey was 186 with a max of 195 😯

ferrals
    Free Member

😯 😯

I would be dead at 195 😆

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve averaged 195 for a Southern XC before!

ferrals
    Free Member

The more I think about it more I want to race Wasing, I’m only going to be an hour away that weekend and I guess being centrally located should be a big sports cat field so nice tight racing. Only problem being I said I wouldn’t as we’re going to be at my folks with our 3 month old so maybe a bit unfair to leave my wife carless for too long. How reasonable is it to race wasing without a pre-ride? Many a-b lines or bits that might sneak up on you? I’ve seen the big drop photos and i wont be riding that! I’m thinking get there 1.45 so i dont miss registration, warm up, race and hammer home, can make it a 4hr excursion!

adsh
    Free Member

Wasing if absolutely terrifying.

I don’t think you could choose a worse course to race without a pre ride.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’ve just entered Wasing. It’s another 190 mile each way trip! Anyone know if there is camping on site?

It seems the Nutcracker series is fading. The sports category for this Sunday only has 2 entrants compared to the midlands series at Swynnerton that already has 30 entrants (same race date). Just wondering if anyone on here is turning their back on the nutcracker series and why?

For me, Midlands races are a little closer to home. Nutcracker Course practice is only available first thing meaning a very early start to get there even if i’m not racing until late morning / afternoon. Midlands series allows practice between race 1 & 2 meaning it’s not a silly early start. That’s the main factor for me as I can rock up about lunch, get a practice lap in and race straight away. I’ve asked the nutcracker guys about a later practice lap but was told no. In addition, results can take weeks and their website still has last years schedule on it. Anyone else?

ferrals
    Free Member

adsh – Member

Wasing if absolutely terrifying.

I don’t think you could choose a worse course to race without a pre ride.

Guess I better persevere with diplomacy for a longer day out then! 😆

Kryton57

Whats the scoop with Scott Marathon registration and pre-ride info? Nothing appears to be sent out via email – is that normally the case?

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Official results from Pembrey online. They can’t be that official though as I’m missing still! Booooo!

I’ve contacted them again. I want my points!

ferrals
    Free Member

I keep clicking on rootsandrain to see the lap analysis but they are not there yet 😥

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m toying with the idea of racing the Builth mtb marathon next weekend. Never done one, never even ridden 65km before, longest ride i’ve donerecently is about an hour and a half. Dumb idea? I’m also confused as to whether it’s actually a race or a sportive type thing as they give rider times not positions. Could do the 45km one I guess. How technical are they?

Remember it’s not a race 😆 😉 It’s a off-road challenge where they give out times and announce Nick Craig as the winner.

Go for it, you can always bail on the long one at one of the various course crosses,

Whats the scoop with Scott Marathon registration and pre-ride info? Nothing appears to be sent out via email – is that normally the case?

Yup, they don’t send out courses as a lot is on private land so you can’t ride them before or after unless you’re a Welsh Farmer.

General script is rock up, sign on, get bag of free stuff, eat free pasta, ride (race), collect free t-shirt, queue for the bike wash, go home 8)

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

There are some “untagged” photos from Pembrey on roots and rain. I guess the e-mails will go out form R&R once the results are uploaded.

What’s your name Ferrals? I go by the name of James Stockton…

iain65
    Free Member

Thanks ferrals, I was also down on HR with pretty dull legs despite feeling good on Saturday. I did have to go back out on the last practice on Saturday to get that last A line sorted out as I kept bottling it on the lunchtime one, after getting my nerve up to ride over it, it was fine.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Nutcracker events are fading a little I think, I don’t want to slag them off too much. I love having these xc races local to me and understand the hard work that goes in.
    However, using the same courses year after year, with little or no change or adding in a short man made section with no flow etc, waiting a week for the results, no actual podiums for the winners, hardly any race photographs, having to go through the BC entry faff, and packing up before racing has finished isn’t good practice, all that for £25 – and 90 mins (if your lucky) racing, with no practice lap, hardly surprising!

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t think Wasing’s that bad, although I didn’t ride the Southern earlier in the year, I know there were some new bits.

There are a couple of rather hairy a-lines, but the B’s are all pretty easy and not much slower.

adsh
    Free Member

S’pose it was my first foray away from Gorricks etc. I just wasn’t expecting to have to have both wheels off the ground. The big drop B line is fairly hard core.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

So results are up on R&R from Pembrey. I’ve got a quandary.

I know my electronic timer wasn’t working on the day. Paper lap logs captured me as 8th. I’ve been entered as 9th on the “official” results. I noticed that both 4th and 5th position ahead of me have identical lap times and same finish time (to the second). The strava activity for 5th place finisher shows only 2 laps rather than 3. I questioned his result and he had a crash on Root Chute on lap 2. Says his garmin fell off but he continued to complete lap 3 without it. All seems a bit odd to me. Especially to then chase down the rider ahead and finish at exactly the same time.

I may be wrong and apologies if I am! Should I question it or let it go? I wouldnt mind so much if I wasn’t chasing points this year!

njee20
    Free Member

I’d raise it. Don’t be a dick, just make a friendly observation that you believe the guy in 5th DNFd (that is what you’re saying, right?). They obviously had some problems, but whoever did the timing was paid to do it right, and they appear to have failed here.

If they had a paper record of you then presumably they had a paper record of the people in front of you too to verify that.

rsvktm

Wife and I are doing the Scott Marathon this weekend and not sure what to expect. Done the Northumberland Collossus and Behemouth, presume these run on a similar format ie mass start and a big first climb to sort it out. Good luck to all doing it, looks good weather wise 🙂

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

My bad, I managed to contact the guy that came 5th and it all checks out. I’ll settle for 9th 8)

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Nutcracker Gandale race still only has 2 entrants into the Sport category. Talk about easy BC points…. is there not a minimum number of entrants needed to qualify for BC points?

I’m racing Swynnerton in the midlands instead this weekend. Decent number of entrants already

ferrals
    Free Member

I’ve got points off a race with five in it before.

Family negotiations done and Wasing entered 😀 even going to be allowed to get there in time for a practise lap 😆

Quite pleased looking at the roots and rain analysis, because of the big field I beat a higher percentage at Pembrey than I’ve managed before in a national.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

As my timing chip was broken at Pembrey they just picked a random finish time which slot me into 9th position and then divided it by 3 to give 3 identical lap times!

chrispo
    Free Member

Wife and I are doing the Scott Marathon this weekend and not sure what to expect. Done the Northumberland Collossus and Behemouth, presume these run on a similar format ie mass start and a big first climb to sort it out

There’s a few miles on the road behind a pace car then a big climb. There will still be some congestion unless you’re near the front as there are an awful lot of riders.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 781 total)

The topic ‘2017 XC Racing Thread’ is closed to new replies.