• This topic has 292 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by paton.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 293 total)
  • 2016-17 CX racing thread
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Some photos (not mine) from Melin Mynach:

MM photos

mooman
    Free Member

phewww. glad nobody caught my crash!

warton
    Free Member

this weekend was wet!

after busting a gut to get my new (2nd hand) Ridley built, i adjusted the saddle and didn’t double check the torque. 30 mins into a very wet and muddy race my saddle works loose, and falls off. DNF – Gutted

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Crashtestmonkey and I ventured to Wessex league (normally Central league) this weekend as it was 20 minutes away in Oxford. Here’s my race report: 4 degrees and a Northerly wind .. CX weather is fast coming in.. we are just missing the mud (not necessarily a bad thing!) up first (for a change) ladies and V50. The course was in 2 segments a fast wide powerful billiard table style grass section with some twisties then a fast technical narrow bit with obstacles and bomb holes! 57 women started, their biggest field yet! I got gridded on the 2nd row & got a good start and up into 4th but slowly went backwards on the power grass sections. I’d pull them back on the technical trees and after some recent Wednesday night coaching my remounting was better! Until I saw a club mate from V50’s (yes I’d caught him) before the trees, I was super polite as I passed then …. boom front wheel wash out in the bottom of the bomb hole and I hit the deck hard! Some swear words were shouted I looked around dazed then as someone went to assist me I was up and off ..but lost a place or so! I spent the next 3 laps with a dead right side, pins and needles and no power. Held onto 9th overall but 5th Senior woman!

So next up Crashtestmonkey in the V40! He also managed to get gridded onto the 2nd row and boom they were off like a greyhound after a rabbit insanely fast and furious, it might as well have been MotoGP! He was doing well, as I cheered him on I heard him shout “I’m going backwards”! Similar story he’d pull the groups back on the twisties but they’d disappear on the flats. He said “I need more power” bearing in mind he was doing 30mph on the straights on grass but STILL got overtaken! 👿 He washed out on some leaves trying to make up time in the singeltrack and snapped a spoke. Another lap he was leaning so much trying to carry corner speed through the woods to make up ground that he clipped a tree on the outside of the tape with his helmet and shoulder (both have grazes!!). They had 2 sets of plants, one 99% jumped, 1 needed running and a tree down!

So conclusion Wessex league is insanely fast and competitive but a great day out! I pedalled into work today as a recovery ride..ouch body so sore and still no power on my right side! Hopefully bruising will be out and recovered in time for Sunday’s race! And up here it is due to be dry ALL week so another fast and furious race for us ahead.

Ferrals.. I did Gorseinon in 2014 .. ooooh that was a muddy day!!! crossisboss

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Did ferrals mention the wind and the overcast cloud that appeared JUST for the seniors race at Gorseinon? Ooo it was fresh. Very dry though.
    I had a good start (may have leant on ferrals, not sure) and then went backwards, finding myself riding on my own for a good half hour in the middle of the race. Couldn’t quite tag on to those in front, and those behind weren’t catching up.
    My back took a beating, and I was really feeling it today.
    It felt like a small field for Seniors, I don’t know how many actually signed on.
    Nice to see a few faces cheering and racing.

ferrals
    Free Member

😆 You were way ahead while I was still one part of a moving tripod!

Looking at the results, it was a small field with 46 in S+J. Not sure why, vets fields were big. Did seem to be large gaps after the first few laps, I was quite relieved it wasnt a full on scrap to the line.

Was quite surprised to see I’d done better than I thought, best senior result to date, about normal position in the race but the juniors were obviously feeling fiesty 😆 Position helped no doubt by the small field and by a couple of people in front of me flatting

qwerty
    Free Member

Anyone know what the Keynsham course is like?

I’m tempted to pop my new CX bikes race cherry, but its around an hour away for an hour of pain, however the local MTB trails are gonna be well muddy so it could be worth it.

qwerty
    Free Member

Found it, New course, looks twisty!

[video]https://youtu.be/NcrsoQZLkDM[/video]

Will I be expected to clear up my own vomit?

RoterStern
    Free Member

I managed a ninth yesterday in our regional league in this part of Germany. Weather was just above freezing and we had snow/sleet at the start…just how I live it! Had to start at the back as they don’t seed you if you haven’t registered before the race (how hum) but it is my favourite course in the series. Unfortunately my second favourite course is for the race today (yes they have stupidly put two races of the series on consecutive days) and so to keep a harmonious family I am not going.

A lot of people (from other parts of the country) complain that the courses are too technical but I personally like them like that. For those who are interested here is a video from two years ago of the course. Though they have tweeked it in the last two years.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUrJ_k6SK6Y[/video]

qwerty
    Free Member

Well i havn’t raced a CX race for a few years (although i have helped out at my local CX event, setting up & marshaling), the Keynshan Shamcross course was GREAT fun, especially so as its a flat area and they’ve definately put it to good use, so many twists and turns, the spiral of doom, some great woodsy steep off camber stuff, plenty of entertainment at the boards, and a fantastic crowd. Nice for spectators that pretty much the whole course is visible from the finish area. I had a great time. FoD next week, if work allows 🙂

ferrals
    Free Member

R.S. Looks like a really fun course.

No racing for me this weekend, another f-ing weekend lost to lying in bed ill.

Any welsh leaguers raced at Parc Bryn Bach before? Up next weekend and looks like there were races there in the mid 2000’s. At the moment don’t think I’ll bother unless its meant to be a good and techncial course.

davidjey
    Free Member

Looks like it’s down to me to do the Welsh League update this week. Made the trip over to Llanerchaeron in west Wales, as did plenty of others despite the 100 mile drive from Cardiff – good-sized fields in all the races. A brand new venue and a good course – a mix of full throttle for most of the first half of the lap (dodging the occasional cowpat) and a much twistier second half. It got slippy in places but not proper muddy apart from 25 metres of ankle deep bog.

Another solid/unspectular day for me – got a decent but not great start, made up a few places in the first couple of laps, but got caught and dropped by a few guys too. Another fag-end of the top ten result, 9th or 10th I think. But that’ll do.

Mooman also there, and did I see Thom around or was that another bearded PRCC rider..? Oh and I’m sure I saw a photo with IdleJon in making a comeback!

will
    Free Member

Finally managed a podium (3rd) at the Central League yesterday after a few 5th and 6ths. Fun course, with a nice muddy section, some sand pits and plenty of off camber sections! Had a great battle with 2nd all race and ended in a sprint finish!

weeksy

Congratulations !

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Will, congrats. I was stuck at work 🙁 and I followed Cnetral V40 (my cat) and women’s (Munqe Chick was racing) on the live tracker – a bit vicarious but could work out who was having battles with who so tried to picture the racing.

And you’re being modest, you’re currently sat 2nd in the league.

https://app.lap.io/series/2016-09-central-cx-league/cup?category=SMA

We’re racing a double-header this coming weekend, Central Saturday and Wessex Sunday for that pro experience 😀

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Ah Will you’re the beardy one I saw you battling it out! That dude that won Senior was insanely fast!

Cracking course (although I’m telling crashtestmonkey it was rubbish) I mean who wants sandpits, muddy off camber, slick muddy corners you have to run and some power climbs? Great day out, 3rd for me although a wee bit disappointed as I was 2nd for the first few laps but when she got past I couldn’t stay with her on the grass flat bits 🙁 although I was way better on the technical bits! need more technical courses.

Although racing absolutely wipes me out! Anyone else completely shattered today? I feel like I could spend all day in bed!

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Finally got some muddy off-camber at East Kent CX. Was such a joy to need skill as well as power, although when it comes to getting up slippery off-camber banks, more power is usually the skill you need. 😀

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@David Jey, yup I was there, had an ok race until I came off in said bog. I am awaiting the many photographs to appear as all I could hear as I wallowed here were camera shutters.
    Enjoyed the course. My fitness let me down and I lost 4 places in the last 2 laps. Roll on Bryn Bach..

matts
    Free Member

Finally managed a podium (3rd) at the Central League yesterday

Ha. Saw on Strava you were a member of the STW group. Wondered what your handle here was.

Congrats… Again. 🙂

Ah Will you’re the beardy one I saw you battling it out!

No. Will was the Phoenix rider. Neil Phillips is the beardy one.

will
    Free Member

Correct, couldn’t grow a beard if I tried 🙄 Was a great battle with Neil though, I knew that if he got in front on the final twisty sections he’d probably have me as he was quicker though these. Annoying.

Joe (the winner) is on a flyer this season!

Well done MC, a great result in a pretty big field!

Anybody at Kettering? It’s a good course, stony/sandy in sections, ankle deep mud in others, and if it’s muddy, very hard work!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

We’re racing Kettering. Snapped my rear mech 6 feet after crossing the finish line last year 🙄

ferrals
    Free Member

Just a reminder for anyone planning on the Welsh CX Champs that hasnt registered yet, deadline is this Sunday (20th) on BC
    BC web link

The guys were finalising the course yesterday and its running nicely 😀

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

ooo yes Welsh champs I want that stripey jersey ….. not sure I will but will give it my best shot!

Will I remember Kettering from last year lots of running but hopefully with the dry weather we’ve had this year there won’t be many rear mechs getting eaten but it’ll be technical and fun!

mooman
    Free Member

From what I hear of some guys should used to race Bryn Bach a few years back; it used to be a pretty ‘old-school’ type course, which I think means a mix of everything … and rough. Sorry if that’s just as vague!

Llanchaeron wasn’t good for me, worse race of season. Really good course, the organisers really put in a lot of work taping off course etc.
    But I had customary slow start, and washed out on practically every bend. My own fault for putting too pressure in and wearing tyres that clogged up within 2-3 laps.

Hopefully Bryn Bach will be grippy & fast.

ferrals
    Free Member

Weather forecast is for snow and minus temps so I’m not sure grip will be fantastic! At least all the youth and vets etc should thaw out any ice by the senior race 😆

Completely vague description, but I like it!

had an ok race until I came off in said bog. I am awaiting the many photographs to appear as all I could hear as I wallowed here were camera shutters.

Just see a fantastic picture of you having a mid race mud bath on the Welsh cx facebook page! Bonus points for the pic of you bunnyhopping the log though!

davidjey
    Free Member

Hopefully Bryn Bach will be grippy & fast

ROFL. Keep hoping, and don’t look at the forecast or it will shatter your dreams.

ferrals
    Free Member

Unless of course we’re just racing on the BMX track 😀

Garry_Lager

Doing Otterspool on Sat, and have no spare bike – Is it ever worth bringing a jetspray to clean your own bike in the pits, or is that a silly idea?
    Just thinking if it’s a proper mudocalypse then a minute in the pits blasting it clean sounds like a decent back-up plan if the bike is overwhelmed with mud.

stanwell
    Free Member

According to Parc Bryn Bach there’s also an Antiques and Collectors Fair which should make parking “interesting”. I don’t remember much parking when the total entry for the senior and vets race was about 70. My memory of racing at Bryn Bach was rain, mud and a large drainage culvert. And some scalpings to ruin any nice tubs.

simondbarnes

Is it ever worth bringing a jetspray to clean your own bike in the pits

Not convinced it would be. Anyway, after barely touching a bike all summer / autumn due to illness & injury I will be having a go at Otterspool on Sat. At least it’ll make it easier for someone not to be last 🙂

ferrals
    Free Member

stanwell – Member

According to Parc Bryn Bach there’s also an Antiques and Collectors Fair which should make parking “interesting”. I don’t remember much parking when the total entry for the senior and vets race was about 70. My memory of racing at Bryn Bach was rain, mud and a large drainage culvert. And some scalpings to ruin any nice tubs.

Which bit of the park did they use? looks like loads of parking near gol course.

simondbarnes

Excellent NWCCA race at Otterspool today. Properly fun, tough course. Barely riding a bike this year made it pretty tough going but had some good battles towards the rear of the field 🙂

Was a tad muddy 🙂

mick_r

Also at Otterspool today. Beaten by the Mrs who also managed to avoid being lapped by the lead men 🙂

Family of 4 all racing is one hell of a cleanup – a task that has finally killed the washing machine tonight. Luckily just the heating element I think, so can at least cold wash most of the filth out until I get a spare.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I raced today in a one off event here in Leipzig organised by a former pro road rider Robert Förster. It was advertised as Germany’s first night cross race but our race was in the day. It is the first track that I would say is in the Belgian style…the venue was at the side of an old open cast mine now converted into a massive lake (there are loads of them around here) and so the ground is pretty sandy. The entire course was 2m wide (the local race series courses have a lot of singletrack sections) which suited me down to the ground as my usual slow start didn’t affect me quite so badly as I could overtake people when I wanted. To cut a long story short I got my first podium in cross! 3rd place 🙂

weeksy

Congratulations!

ferrals
    Free Member

Nice one RS. I much prefer courses which are wide and use run-ups, hairpins and offcamber to add in technicality makes better racing IMO.

Simondbarnes. Have a feeling my bike will look like that tomorrow, if it’s not frozen!

steve_b77
    Free Member

This basically sums up the seniors race at Otterspool today. I have the distinct feeling I did badly, just couldn’t get going in the slop.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Oooh! The nightcross race even made the regional news!
    news report

weeksy

Looking very wet for Harwell today… Not sure i will bother dragging my lad over… Not sure i’d actually be able to persuade him !

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Snow overnight up at Parc Bryn Bach. Let’s be honest it was going to be there if anywhere. See you Welshies up there

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 293 total)

The topic ‘2016-17 CX racing thread’ is closed to new replies.