• This topic has 292 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by paton.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 293 total)
  • 2016-17 CX racing thread
  • Premier Icon ferrals
    Free Member

Not long till the season starts and getting over-excited so figured I’d start the thread 😀

Our club organised a fun cx race for half an hour on Sat round some local playing fields, good prep. which got me frothing for the season proper. Loads of fun, short 3 1/2 minute laps lots of off camber and a couple of power climbs. So good to feel the burn again, was the only person who managed not to get lapped by a couple of very fast guys (although unsure if they were going full gas or not)

Shed 1.2kg off the bike with lighter wheels (thanks john_l 8) ) which makes it feel much more sprightly.

Last year was my first season at cx, had a few reasonable results, primarily in the mud, really hope it wasn’t beginners luck and I can replicate it again this year. 5 weeks to go, bit of rest this week then three hard weeks of pre- and post- work drills and intervals to sharpen everything up.

Premier Icon steve_b77
    Free Member

Yup, ours kicks off 1st week in September and give the forecast heatwave it might not be muddy until at least the 2nd weekend in September.

I’ll probably be rubbish again, but it’s my last year in Seniors before vets beckons.

No doubt my 4yr old will do better overall in U8’s than I will too.

Premier Icon ferrals
    Free Member

Yeah I’m woried about the potential for an indian summer 😆

Mind you the heat wave is only lasting two days in South Wales.

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Free Member

Training plan going well, though this year I’m not taking it too seriously at all. I’ll do the Rapha SuperX again (off to Munich to do their excellent event in Oct, last years was unbelievable) then a few of the London X league events. I’m thinking of fitting in another set of long distance CX rides, the Hope one at the end of the months been cancelled and I didn’t get a slot for the 3 Peaks so have to make up for it by doing the Keswick Monster Miles again, which is a favourite of mine.

More surfing for me this year, and probably next.

Enjoy, I might see you at an event or two.

Premier Icon ferrals
    Free Member

Just going to be some (all the ones I can make) of the Welsh league for me and the Welsh champs will be my last race. Gives me a month head start on thinking about xc which i didnt do till after new years this year.

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Free Member

If anyone did the Gravel Reviver thingy, well on 22-23rd of Oct the guys are running a training course in Hexham .. Only 50 spaces, but looks kinda excellent (for the riding I love doing)

Premier Icon bensales
    Free Member

Actually remembered to register for the West Midlands League this year, so hope to make most of the rounds. Missing the first due to Kenilworth Half-marathon, and need to juggle with running in the Birmingham Cross Country league though.

Premier Icon core

I fancy a go this year, I have an (old) CX bike, but it’s on a compact chainset, not sure how suitable that will be, there’s a couple of Welsh league races fairly close.

I know it’s supposed to be grim, but I usually do quite well at an hour of hard sustained effort, could just be my thing.

What sort of gear range is recommended for a beginner? 14st on a Canti braked Kinesis…….

Premier Icon steve_b77
    Free Member

Just leave it in the little ring

Premier Icon Vortexracing

I appear the be the proud owner of a Boardman CX team via C2W, so I may have to have a go at this CX racing lark. 🙄

Premier Icon cloudnine

Hopefully doing some of the welsh races this year.. I’ll be the small bloke on the tiny tripster if I see any of you would be nice to put faces to stw..

Premier Icon shedbrewed
    Free Member

Looking forward to it. Should be able to do most of the Welsh league this year barring breaking any bones pre season like last year! New son is going to get an autumn and winter spectating and having a cowbell attached to his romper suit.

Premier Icon aP
    Free Member

Got my 3 dates for London League Comms.

Premier Icon scholarsgate
    Free Member

stupid question…

Can you use mountain bikes to race CX?

I’d love to have a go but don’t really want to shell out for a CX bike as I have a 29er already.

Premier Icon cp

Can you use mountain bikes to race CX?

generally for national series races no, but for regional series races yes.

you tend not to be able to use bar end on an mtb, which is a bit weird given their similarity in shape to sti hoods…

Premier Icon aP
    Free Member

Yes you can, but as stated above bar ends are not allowed.
    If racing London League then don’t use a GoPro (or similar from other manufacturer) as you will be asked to remove it before starting.

Premier Icon cp

f racing London League then don’t use a GoPro

same with any league isn’t it – it’s a BC rule?

Premier Icon aP
    Free Member

Yup. But then not all Leagues are equal 😉

Premier Icon ferrals
    Free Member

Core (and in fact anyone else), if you are close to Swansea, I think Gower Riders may be holding another fun 1/2hr cx race on the 27th which would be a great intro to cx. Adult race will be around 11am after the kids races. I’ll post more details when I have them. Whole mix of abilities from first timers to fast people having a pre-season warm up but all friendly and fun.

Shedbrewed – congrats on the baby boy! see you in Cardiff. Bit gutted I’m missing the abergavenny weekend. would have liked to race both the sat and sun but other commitments 🙁

Premier Icon Roter Stern
    Free Member

I’m also looking forward to the cross season. Finished 7th overall in the series so will have to work hard to better that as there are a few in the cat. that could win the elite races (one of them is a former German junior national champ). Hoping to get some training wheels sorted out for my Crux in the next few weeks as there is one MTB marathon next month that is quicker on a cx bike and don’t fancy ruining a set of tubs.

Premier Icon tang
    Free Member

Yup! Been working on new course for lovecrossed, will be hosting western league finale again within the race and screening the worlds as per. Hope to be at Monster Cross at Catton Hall on the 11th of September with a Lovecrossed team, looks like it should be fun. Other than that maybe some pitting at trophy and visiting the Belgian family for a big race or two.

Premier Icon tang
    Free Member

This is a good read
    http://road.cc/content/blog/176154-help-yourself

Premier Icon mooman
    Free Member

A return to the Weldh League for me this year. I hear the vets are getting their own race … that should cut numbers to below 100 hopefully!

Congrats Thom; sees you in Llanishen.

Premier Icon john_l
    Free Member

Ferrals – didn’t realise that was you, glad you like them.

First London League round is just 3 weeks away! Will be rocking a posh paint job on the Kite this season.

Premier Icon mick_r

I appear the be the proud owner of a Boardman CX team via C2W, so I may have to have a go at this CX racing lark.

OK Dave see you in old blokes class at Hoghton Tower 10th September then…

Or they are doing fun class where you get thrashed by the youths 🙂

Premier Icon aP
    Free Member

tang – Member
    This is a good read
    http://road.cc/content/blog/176154-help-yourself

That event was so wet, at one point we thought we’d have to give the U10s snorkels and marker buoys.
    As you can see the start grid sheets started to become papier mache, and we found out that the BC Comms jackets weren’t waterproof.
    Looks like L and I will be there again on 2nd October…

OK Dave see you in old blokes class at Hoghton Tower 10th September then…

Yip I think you will, no idea what to expect but what the hell, it can only be agony for 40 mins. 🙁

Premier Icon mick_r

First lap will be a traffic jam. Practice hopping CX bike up a stone step will gain time and places every time you ride through the barn. Other than that Hoghton and rossendale are mtbers courses.

Premier Icon plop_pants
    Free Member

May be my last season of ‘cross in the London League. Just left my club after many years and as two of my main rivals are in said club it might be a bit ‘edgy’. Can’t be doing with that so might take up table tennis instead.

Premier Icon LS
    Free Member

Final season here as a Senior so hoping for a good one. Numbers indicate that I’m not getting slower yet, but I’m not getting faster either 😆
    A full NDCXL season lies ahead with selected Trophies and hopefully a mudbath at Bradford for the Nationals.

Commissairing quite a bit too, a couple of the Trophy rounds and chief comm at the Midland area championships.

ride through the barn

what????

is it part indoors 😉

Premier Icon simondbarnes

what????

is it part indoors

Yup. I made up plenty of places by riding up the steps out of the barn on every lap last year. I was still outside the top 100 though 🙂

I had better get some practice in then. 🙁

Premier Icon ferrals
    Free Member

Just been helping recce out potential courses for the welsh champs in december, first iteration looking pretty darn good 😀

Premier Icon ferrals
    Free Member

Didn’t see your post before John, haha, forgot to put user name! Yep they are going nicely

Premier Icon snotrag

Does anybody race in Yorkshire? I’ve never done it before, I have a almost suitable bike, and I have just found that there is a county wide series going on that seems quite popular.
    Should i give it a bash?
    Will I die!?

Premier Icon simondbarnes

Does anybody race in Yorkshire?

Yes. Lots & lots.

Should i give it a bash?

Most definitely

Will I die!?

Probably 🙂

Premier Icon ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

CX bike all ready…. Can’t wait.

Premier Icon shedbrewed
    Free Member

Cheers Iain, Ant. See you at Llanishen.

Premier Icon isitafox
    Free Member

Debating having a crack at the first couple of Notts & Derby rounds myself. Only ever ridden bike trials comps so I’ve absolutely no idea what to expect. Think my bike is setup pretty well for it, just needs new tyres I think!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 293 total)

The topic ‘2016-17 CX racing thread’ is closed to new replies.