• This topic has 292 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by paton.
Viewing 13 posts - 281 through 293 (of 293 total)
  • 2016-17 CX racing thread
  • LS
    Free Member

Anyone else still racing? Or just us in Central league it’s all gone a bit quiet!

I rode NDCXL rd10 on Saturday just gone at the fantastic-as-usual Browtowe course which is a great mix of grunt and skill. It’s the final round organised by my team this Saturday and then we’re all off to Luxembourg so I’m very much finished!

vdubber67
    Free Member

You’re certainly finished as a senior LS…. 😉

x

(Rich)

LS
    Free Member

😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Jase
    Free Member

Yes Corby.

My daughter had to change her bike on last lap due to amount of mud she’d accumulated and moved up a place from 3rd to 2nd as a result.

I unfortunately only have 1 bike. Interesting what you say about SRAM as I’ve always fancied 1x and assumed it would be better in crappy conditions compared to a double ring set up. A friend is on 1×11 SRAM and had problems yesterday, ended up running the last part. I had difficulty shifting using 105 2×10 but nothing that wasn’t manageable.

mos

Anybody doing the Yorkshire series?
    Final race this Sunday, which will be my 3rd race but first on a proper ‘cross bike.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I don’t know if the newer 1x specific Sram mechs are more robust, but my bike came with (short cage) Rival which I converted to 1x. A limited sample size but I’ve snapped 3 mechs and hangers in the same number of races that MC has lost 1 Shimano and I’ve yet to snap the Shimano on my pit bike (my pit bike was my commuter until it was hit by a car and technically written off due to a hole in the seatstay, nothing special and I’m happy enough to ride it around a field!).

It may be something as simple as having a longer cage giving more room for the mud to pass through or I’ve just been unlucky.

LS
    Free Member

I’ve snapped 3 mechs and hangers in the same number of races that MC has lost 1 Shimano

😯 I’ve snapped one mech in the last 8 years!
    Something’s set up wrong there or you’re going far too long before changing bikes. I’ve found SRAM to be no more or less durable than Shimano.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’ve snapped one mech in the last 8 years!

kind of glad it is just me then, means there’s hope!

Something’s set up wrong there or you’re going far too long before changing bikes

last year (2 mechs in 8 races) was our first year racing and we fell into it so I only had 1 bike. This year (1 mech on the 4th race of the season?) I thought I only needed the 1 bike 🙄 , now I’m using 2 and going with pre-planned changes!

Short-cage non-clutch Rival, so the same mech it was initially specced with when it was 2x and I think chain length is good by road standards (big/big +2 rule plus another one for mechanical sympathy, I’m the sort of person that can’t ride behind someone cross-chaining as it makes me ill). Might be that a longer cage (either clutched or not) gives more room for the mud/grass to pass through before it reaches critical clog?

sefton
    Free Member

LS
    Free Member

Short cage is better as it’s further away from the mud, long cages pick up more so the extra space is more than negated. Big/big +2 is fine, you don’t need the extra link.
    Are you doing a single bike change in the race or are we talking a change every lap if required? How’s your mechanical sympathy when changing gear under pressure? Are you avoiding the mud as much as possible or just ploughing straight through it?
    Basic questions but the answer will be in there somewhere!

john_l
    Free Member

Anyone else still racing? Or just us in Central league it’s all gone a bit quiet!

Website up & running & entry now open for the European Singlespeed CX Champs at Stanmer Park, Brighton; over the w/e of 18th/19th Feb. 😀

https://www.sscxeu17.com/

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Basic questions but the answer will be in there somewhere!

no offence taken, I’m a CX noob and it all helps. Have gone from considering the pit bike a post-mechanical emergency to pre-planned with pit crew cleaning the incoming bike (which I appreciate is what we should have been doing from the start, but like I said we never set out to race a CX series so 2015/16 was totally winging it*, 16/17 we are a bit more organised). I’m a low power high cadence spinner so struggle to ‘plough straight’ through mud and know that “green is good” but again as a noob I’m sure me being on the ‘right’ line is by coincidence as much as design.

*despite winging it with one bike MC won 15/16 Central League women’s overall but is too modest to mention it 8)

Viewing 13 posts - 281 through 293 (of 293 total)

The topic ‘2016-17 CX racing thread’ is closed to new replies.