• This topic has 292 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by paton.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 293 total)
  • 2016-17 CX racing thread
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Anyone local-ish to Swansea, there are so ‘go-cross’ races at Penyrheol this Saturday. Annoyingly my knee is wrecked but its good practise for round one of the Welsh series as a similar course. The races are fun races aimed at newcomers but there were a fair few faster guys in the adults last time so the racing snakes among us should have a few people to battle with too.

ferrals
    Free Member

Hope everyone’s season prep is going well (or first races gone well!)

Saw this on grit.cx: Unsupported mud advice

Has anyone actually tried this or is it some kind of cruel non-April April fools? Sounds possibly sensible but am not sure whether it could transfer to discs with disasterous results!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well I’m off to Munich for Raphas SuperX (last years was superb!!) then Keswick Monster miles is my first foray back into long distance racing, from a self imposed lay off. I’ve kept up riding to about 70% fitness (goal was 80%) but I’m having too much fun surfing.

As to that rainX, nah. You kinda just get used to the gloop that attaches itself.

ferrals
    Free Member

If it actually prevented the extra kilograms of mud attaching to the frame/rims I’d give it a crack but I’m not sure it would.

ferrals
    Free Member

Seasons first race at Cardiff today, not very cross-like sunshine and a fun flowy course made for a great day out. Lots of lovely off camber, saw some funny crashes in the earlier races. Made the mistake of over pacing myself and finished with a lot left in the tank but still felt good, had a good race, a reasonable position (I think) and hope can build on it as it gets more technical/muddy.

So pleased the seasons started 😀

ontor
    Free Member

First race of the season for me at Taunton. Rookie mistake of not starting nearer the front meant navigating the traffic for several laps. Dry, dusty, and horrifyingly quick.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

You were going well today, ferrals, good work.
    I on the other hand had a shocker. Who knew that a newborn child, sleep-deprivation and a skinful at the club awards dinner the night before wasn’t good prep 😀 Began to find my feet then had a stupid crash in the sandpit when I was dismounting but my left foot remained in the pedal as I tried to run with it… whoops. Mashed my knee and hand and just took the go out of me.
    Bring on Hereford next week.

ferrals
    Free Member

Can’t wait for Hereford, really enjoyed that course last year.

On of the Bynea guys took some footage of the seniors race
    [video]https://youtu.be/flj6Lzv2lj8[/video]

Kamakazie

Had my first stab at cross in Llanishen. Pleased with how I went and happy with making up time on the obstacles.
    Not sure where I finished but felt string right through considering my lack of riding and felt my lap times were pretty consistent.

Easy going bunch and the weather made for an enjoyable event!

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Did the Yorkshire Cyclocross Association race today at Templenewsam… came 27th/38 in the vets section… happy with that time be honest… my peak heart rate got to 209… that’s quite a lot, isn’t it? I suppose racing with a cold isn’t a particularly bright thing to do 😳

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Double post!

Kamakazie

Thanks ferrals, annoyed I didn’t ride the sandpit seeing that! Everyone around me was running it.

ferrals
    Free Member

I ran it as well, rode it in practise but minimal time difference and I came to the conclusion I’d probably face plant! The Welsh league is really friendly, only my second season but I really enjoy it. Glad you had fun, are you going to do the others?

davidjey
    Free Member

Made the mistake of over pacing myself and finished with a lot left in the tank

😯 In that case you were going even better than I thought you were. I on the other hand literally crossed the finish line and fell over I was so done in.

I reached a point in practice where I could ride the sand consistently, first lap of the race I ground to a halt in the middle of it and lost about 5 places 😆

ferrals
    Free Member

Cheers David, you were tantalisingly close for a couple of laps! Just couldnt bridge the gap and decided to concetrate on defending my position and avoid loosing any places rather than gaining them.
    As usual I spent to much time looking at the heart rate monitor and overthinking tactics rather than embracing the pain and grinding myself into a useless wreck 😳 😆 once a scientist always a scientist 😆

Kamakazie

No plans to enter any others at the moment as I don’t want to get a new set of mud tyres this year but I might be able to do a last minute entry for next week if it stays dry.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

It does.
    Ok, i’ve not tried that particular stuff (rain x) but a coating of light spray oil (WD40/GT85) or furniture polish on the main tubes, stays and forks does slow the build up quite noticeably. Or anywhere else that mud can build up. I’ve even used it on cranks, cassette and pedals (spray oil, not furniture polish).

Sometimes needs a bit of encouragement if the mud has lots of grass in it, so i used to ride through a puddle if it got too bad. You could then see the muddy water beading up on the oily (or waxy) surfaces and then running off.

Probably worth a try even if you do have two bikes. (Not that i have that sort of luxury any more, hence mucking around with oil/wax and puddles)

ferrals
    Free Member

Second round of the Welsh league for me today. After last night deluge I thought we’d be in for a mud fest but by the time our race started it was lovely and tacky dirt in the fun bits.

Much happier than last week. Actually started ok for a change, and went all out, blew a bit on the last lap and think lost a place or two (unless they were lapping me) but at least I knew I’d given it everything unlike last week.

Funny old course at Foxley, I love bits of it (the little drop off, singletrack and the first steam crossing) and hate other bits the bumpy field! Great days racing though.

mooman
    Free Member

Yep – Foxley always a good race; 80% out of seat pedalling – too bumpy to sit.
    Pembrey next week should be a fast course.

Kamakazie

Sounds right up my street. One to try and get to for next year.

ferrals
    Free Member

It’s a good course and a lush setting, well worth doing.

Pembrey should be good, think we’re using a new bit of the park. Better brush up on my sand riding this week!

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Good to see you again Mooman. You too ferrals. I had a far better race than I was expecting to, but blew around the 45 min mark. Still I really enjoy that course. Once I’d got to the front of a small bunch I was able to get a clear run into the bottom stream to ride it instead of getting baulked by everyone else running it. Got a good gap going til I popped. Hey ho. Not sure I’ll be at pembrey yet.

ferrals
    Free Member

Was a great day out, yeah good to see you too. And results out already 🙂 Chuffed with my result, plus it looks like I lost two places on the last lap so would have been my best ever ‘cross result if I’d held on to that (best so far was Carmarthen when a third of the field DNF’d with snapped mechs so maybe doesnt really count!).

Definately think the difference between 50mins last year and an hour this year is noticeable!

llanrad
    Free Member

Can someone please post a link to the Foxley Cross Results, i can’t seem to find them anywhere?

IdleJon

I’m missing you guys! 😆 I’m working Sundays, so can probably only get to the Abergavenny race.

Dave M arrived in Llanishen to be told that entries had closed because they’d run out timing chips. He protested that he’d driven for two hours to get there so was allowed to enter, minus chip. They charged him £18 (£10 race entry, £3 for absent chip surcharge plus on-the-day?). Dave got twentieth in V50 – should have been 19th because there was a lady in the results who is most definitely not male or over 50. So much for chip timing!

You were going well today, ferrals, good work.
    I on the other hand had a shocker. Who knew that a newborn child, sleep-deprivation

Congratulations. It carries on for a couple of years and then you have your second. Repeat.. 😉

IdleJon

llanrad – Member
    Can someone please post a link to the Foxley Cross Results, i can’t seem to find them anywhere?

They are on the Welsh Cyclocross Facebook page.

Edit : I may be premature – they don’t seem to be posted yet.

mooman
    Free Member

Yes Thom, that extra bit of time in seniors seems to be making a lot of difference. Very few looked like they were racing the last 15-20 mins of it.
    How is the fewer numbers in the race affecting yous? there seemed to be big gaps, and lots of guys kinda in no mans land of having nobody close enough chase … and just doing enough to not get caught by those behind.

I dropped two positions in the last lap when somebody in front of me cut into my line as we went into the 1st stream … bit too heavy on the hydraulic brakes – straight over the bars lol

IdleJon

lots of guys kinda in no mans land of having nobody close enough chase … and just doing enough to not get caught by those behind.

This is why I eased off and eventually stopped racing ‘cross years ago. With a field of under 50 people it’s very easy not to see anyone for big portions of the race, and so it doesn’t feel like a race. It was also why I was disappointed with Lovecrossed. I’ve loved the big fields of the last few years. There was always someone close by to push you, or to hunt down.

ferrals
    Free Member

That’s the issue with xc these days too. Someone should ban enduro!

I much prefer the seniors being split so far, still been 60 odd in the race. I’ve had good battles with people both rounds so far and feels like a proper race when knowing who you are racing against. I’ve had gaps open up in the last couple of laps and have been relieved when they do!

Think the fields are biggest in the vets race Jon so you’ll have plenty to race against when you do make one, much more than at lovecrossed

Llanrad – provisional results on Welsh cx Facebook page

eddie11
    Free Member

big fields are fun but small fields can be fun too, it only needs one or two around your level to make a race of it, big fields increase the odds i guess. But big or small field if you get unlucky and you’re miles slower than whoever in front and miles faster than whoever behind its a bit of an individual time trial through no mans land to finish and not racing, ill give you that.

stephenmacdonald43
    Free Member

Anyone doing any of the scottish series? did local south lanarkshire series last year but think this is another level. got a new bike coming too this week 🙂 to replace my heavy genesis cdf

Kamakazie

Pembrey should be good. I’m doing Tide2Tide the day before so might have to give it a miss!

andeh

I’m thinking of having a go this year at a race or 2 around Lincolnshire. I don’t really know know the courses though, but I fancy riding something a bit more….trail like than just hacking around a field. Can anyone recommend a round/venue to have a go at?

benjishucksmith
    Free Member

The Boston Wheelers round of the Lincolnshire CX league at Ostlers Plantation is a great course, in a wood with plenty of singletrack. That’s on November 13th

mooman
    Free Member

I prefer the vets getting our own race – fields were way too big last year.
    Had fantastic races last two weeks … half a dozen of us swapping positions first half of race, then down to 3 of us last couple laps.
    Pembrey will open it up though … the roadies will get opportunity to make time up on the open bits.

andeh

Coming soon: What tyres for Ostlers Plantation CX race?

That looks ace, I’m going to enter. Only got an Escapade, so not exactly a race whippet, but I’ll have a go. Could genuinely do with some new tyres though.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Mooman; I’m still undecided on the field splitting so far. I just turn up and dig in and it’ll be what it’ll be. When I was feeling good on Sunday I was catching Ferrals up, which was a far cry from the previous weekend, but then I wasn’t feeling so back so I went 😀
    The numbers are still ok I think, although the fields in total don’t seem to be as large as last year yet. I don’t think it has the loneliness that Lovecrossed had towards the end when it seemed you’d see someone briefly and then that was that. It generally settles down after the first couple of laps on a technical course like Foxley, everyone seems too pooped to continue digging in. Less so at Llanishen where the flat and openness means more space for the faster boys to make the gaps.
    I used to enjoy the mid field battles with the Vets and ladies; but I’m never going to be one of the front runners anyway so I can see why some of them were getting miffed.

ferrals
    Free Member

Going to be interested to see how things change as people figure out how to go hard for the whole hour 😆

I’ve been saved by people blowing up behind me in both races, to the extent on sunday after trying a couple of mini attacks that didnt work I just thought, bvgg£r it I’ll wait and hope they blow before i do.

Looking forward to see what the new Pembrey course is like, Dont think I’ll do well though so am going to beast myself this week to try and boost fitness.

IdleJon

Pembrey will open it up though … the roadies will get opportunity to make time up on the open bits.

And then show their awesome bike handling skills as they get off to walk down the sand dune. 😆 (I don’t think he’s including that tricky descent this year?)

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Where was the tricky descent, Jon?
    Oh and Ferrals; I worked out how to ride the longer time, but the 25 minutes gel had fallen from my short leg at 20 minutes! 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 293 total)

The topic ‘2016-17 CX racing thread’ is closed to new replies.