• This topic has 24 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Veero.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 2013 Meta SX1 BB replacement
  • Veero
    Free Member

So a graunching sound has appeared on my beloved Meta, popped the cranks off and lo and behold there’s more play and metallic pain noise than a learner driver finding reverse!

I always found FSA BBs were prone to premature death more than many other BB manufacturers however this one has lasted at least 18 months and the bike had a previous life as an Alpine Guide’s bike so can’t complain.

It says BB-ALM92 Ø24 on the BB shell but Google turns up nothing but discontinued products

Can anyone tell me if it’s a standard BB92 push fit BB I need?

This is all I can vaguely find:
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Race-Face-BB92-Bottom-Bracket_47935.htm

I have XT cranks, so the SRAM BBs available presumably won’t fit.

Any advice gratefully received.
    Veero

transition1
    Free Member

The bottom bracket is a press fit 92
    the 24 is the diameter of the bearings etc for the cranks to pass through.
    I just bought a Shimano BB71 one off CRC for my bike, I have Race Face Chester cranks same 24mm diameter crank shaft as Shimano

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Dura Ace BBs are your friend for the Meta SX – most push-fit BBs have a collar/tube, the Dura Ace ones are just the cups and so play nice with the Meta’s BB. Or you can hacksaw off the collars on other mfrs BBs 😉

Veero
    Free Member

Aha brilliant, thanks for the replies.

Why don’t they make things easy?!!?

Can’t find a BB explicitly labelled Dura Ace and push fit these are the options on CRC:

Shimano BB91 MTB press fit:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-bb91-mtb-press-fit-bottom-bracket/rp-prod44225

Shimano BB71 MTB press fit:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-bb71-mtb-press-fit-bottom-bracket/rp-prod61801

Presumably either will do since I’m ditching the spacer sleeve and the ‘-1’ number refers to BB width which without the spacer is irrelevant…

Scamper
    Free Member

Did as fuzzhead suggest and used the Dura Ace due to the BB design – I think the one you need is a 7800. Or the normal one with the collars to cut off possibly Shimano BB9141a. Think I had to get the Dura Ace from Germany in the end.

Veero
    Free Member

Oh right now I get you. The two I listed above look like the usual Shimano fare where the central sleeve interfaces with a collar on each BB cup. So it’s that little collar you need to cut off to get to fit inside the Meta BB cup. Gordon Bennet what an absolute faff!

The Dura Ace cups-only variants seem to be discontinued. Might just get one of those CRC options above and get the collar milled flat. Should be easy enough.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Yeah, 7800 is the one – just did a quick google and looks like you may be pushed to find one (maybe eBay?). I got mine from Germany too.

Veero
    Free Member

This looks more like it:
    http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/press-fit-bottom-bracket-hollowtech-ii-sm-bb91-42a-61821

Anyone ordered from Bike Discount before? Any ideas on transit times?

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Just had a flick through my old email and that’s where I got mine from. They look like the ones – have ordered plenty of stuff from bikediscount, no problems. Shipping fairly quick – you should have them by w/e if you order today i think.

Veero
    Free Member

Sold! Will order one now. Found one set of cups on ebay, used though but claiming to be like new. Might get them too if they go cheap like a budgie.

euans2
    Free Member

Do NOT order that bike discount one, it’s the wrong one, fit that and you will stretch your BB housing! You need a 41 not a 42

drovercycles
    Free Member

Warning – not all press fit BBs will fit in the 2013 Commencal frames. If you look inside the BB shell you will see that it’s not round all the way through – there is a large flat piece of aluminium across the bottom, in the middle.

If the housing for the bearings is too deep, it will interfere with this.

Shimano ones are OK if you are prepared to take a hacksaw to them and trim some of the plastic away.

Hope are more difficult as they’re all alloy and therefore harder to trim down.

Raceface ones are best as they fit without any modification, but you can’t use the plastic sleeve in the middle. The cups and bearings themselves press in fine though. That’s what I would use.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I’ve used BB91 and BB94
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shimano-sm-bb94-mtb-bottom-bracket-cups/aid:674910
    both times I hacksawed off the collar, 2 minute job, didn’t need a vice, just held it in my hand and hacksawed away…mind those fingers!!!

BB91 you can open up and grease the bearings easily. BB94 (XTR) looked tricky to take apart so I just left it.

Delivery from Rose bikes is under 5 days IME.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Sorry Veero, my bad – missed that crucial detail, should pay attention!

Veero
    Free Member

Oh joy, already ordered. Hopefully BD can cancel prior to despatch, seems unlikely though with modern automated systems. Still it was only £20 posted at least. I suppose at the absolute worst case I can get the cup OD turned down by 1mm at work. It’s only fibre reinforced polymer, should turn quite well.

So are the Dura Ace 7800 cups the correct ones?

And the RaceFace one I originally linked would have fitted (minus sleeve)? – http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Race-Face-BB92-Bottom-Bracket_47935.htm

Looking at the BB71 on CRC the hacksaw approach should work: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-bb71-mtb-press-fit-bottom-bracket/rp-prod61801
    92mm BB, 41mm cup, 24mm axle. Sounds right to me.

On the whole it would be a damn sight easier if Commencal a) used a more normal standard of BB size without parts that foul in the middle like everyone else and b ) actually published the dimensions of the damn thing in the techbook. All I can find is BB92 which doesn’t help at all given the fouling/hacksaw requirement issue.

Now I’ve been riding and spannering for enough years to know my way around most bikes and configurations but this variety of BBs is getting silly. The nomenclature just doesn’t make logical sense anymore.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

I checked the ones I ordered previously and they don’t come up on the bike-discount website anymore. I think these are they http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/dura-ace-hollowtech-ii-press-fit-bottom-bracket-cups-sm-bb92-41b-87651 but can’t confirm.

re: Commencal – it is **** annoying that there’s a great lump of metal in the BB shell! The RF BB *looks* like it’ll maybe work sans sleeve but it does look like there’s a lip coming off the back of the BB cups they may interfere with the lump of metal.

Veero
    Free Member

Well two different ones are on order and whichever one is wrong can go back. Hopefully postage to Germany won’t be extortionate…

svalgis
    Free Member

BD offers free return postage. Good luck.

euans2
    Free Member

Well two different ones are on order and whichever one is wrong can go back. Hopefully postage to Germany won’t be extortionate…

Expect a 3 month turn around for a BD refund, thats how long it took for my refund from them

marky29er
    Free Member

Please update us when you get it & whether it fits or not. I have a meta also and its frustrating to read about these sorts of issues.
    I had hoped parts would be readily available.
    Once of the things that really peeved me about my previous GT was the months it took to get hold of pivot bearings & suspension bits.

Veero
    Free Member

Handy about free return to BD, bummer about long delays. Will probably just stick it on eBay for a tenner since it’s brand new and take the hit.

Veero
    Free Member

Just to confirm the BB71 Shimano offering fits with a little cut out.

iain1775
    Free Member

Jeez it’s really not difficult
    Standard plastic shimano BB92 and cut off the collars
    Or order the duraAce one linked to above, no idea what Euans2 is on about, how will a plastic bottom bracket stretch a huge lump of aluminium? Fitted 2 of them in my Meta over last 2 years no problem, and one hacksawed version

If that lump of metal wasn’t there on no Meta the suspension would sit 2″ higher and it would be nowhere near as good a bike as it is, seems like a small compromise to me

..now forget different standards if they could just make pushfit BB’s that last longer than 6 months average/minimal riding…..

euans2
    Free Member

no idea what Euans2 is on about, how will a plastic bottom bracket stretch a huge lump of aluminium? Fitted 2 of them in my Meta over last 2 years no problem, and one hacksawed version

I thought it was pretty clear what I said! If you use a BB91-42a (like the one linked above) you WILL damage your bottom bracket housing, the Metas are designed to take a BB92-41!! The one linked above is wrong! The reson I know this is I know someone who done it, damaged his bb housing and voided his warranty. I have always just trimmed the ends off my SM-BB91-41B as it only take a few mins to do so.

I can almost guarente that it wont have been the above BB91-42a that you fitted, the one you would have fitted (BD used to sell and is not the one linked) is the “Shimano SM-FC7800”

Veero
    Free Member

Ok for reference this is the problem (the horizontal line above the centre line of the BB bore is the protrusion that fouls the cup, it sits about 20mm in so the cups are too long):

And this is how it’s solved which as stated above took 2 mins:

I also got a set of Dura Ace cups off ebay (for 99p which are almost as new) as a back up and they are ally cups and will fit without modification, a much better solution if you ask me than chopping plastic cups down. Of course that voids any warranty you may have had on the BB.

It wouldn’t make the suspension sit that much higher, it certainly would make fabricating the swingarm more awkward. The least Commencal could do is publish info on which BB to use and Shimano could keep making the Dura Ace BB…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘2013 Meta SX1 BB replacement’ is closed to new replies.