Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 2005 Specialized Enduro weight
  • julians
    Free Member

Hi,

I've got a 2005 Enduro expert, and I'm looking for any cheap'ish ways to make it lighter without making it significantly weaker, Although I suspect I'm already at the point of diminishing returns.

It currently weighs around 33lbs (weighed using bathroom scales).

Its standard 2005 spec apart from the followings changes:-

– Big ring replaced with ethirteen bashguard
    – Hayes Stroker trail brakes, 6" hayes rotor on the rear, 8" hope floating rotor on the front
    – Ghetto tubeless with maxis high roller 2.3 tyres
    – Hope pro II bolt thru rear hub
    – DT swiss ex5.1 rear rim
    – Easton EA70 monkey bars
    – wellgo MG1 pedals
    – Fox dhx5 air shock
    – Sunline grips
    – cane creek s3 headset
    – sram pg980 cassette

Any good ideas?

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Lots of things you could change to shed some weight but they all cost: lighter wheels with Stans Flow rims would save a bit, if you could aford it then a set of Stans on Dt 240s hubs with Dt super comp spokes, or DT EX1750's or Crossmax SX? would save about half a pound.

E13 bash guards are quite heavy, there's an American guy that sells cheap light metal bash rings which would save you loads (about 100g if you bought his superlight one), (will have a look for the website). Easton carbon moneylite risers are the same size/shape as the bars you've got but would save you about 100g, and you could save some weight off your cassette with an XT. Not mentioned what saddle seatpost you've got, but you could probably lose loads off them.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

My best idea is don't worry about it.

Mine was 34lb-ish when it was set up perfectly. It rode brialliantly, so why worry? What you lose on the ups will be more than made up for by the downs.

julians
    Free Member

I tried an XT cassette a while ago, but ended up bending the larger cogs (and before anyone asks, no I wasnt in the big front ring and the big rear cogs when I bent them)

Saddle and post are standard enduro spec (post is 2014 alloy according to the spec sheet).

The bashguard was the one area I was thinking might be cheap to save to weight, so any suggestions there are very welcome.

Scottchegg – to a certain extent I think you're correct, and this will probably be as far as I go with the weight loss programme, but I'm just checking that I havent missed anything obvious, it was ~36lb before I started on this.

iggs
    Free Member

I've an 2005 s-works enduro frame built up very similarly to yours. Slightly different brands but similar spec.

You could easily save weight on rims and tyres but lighter rims and tyres wouldn't cope with how frames like the enduros NEED to be ridden. You'll end up with tacoed wheels and shredded tyres AND it wont feel nice to ride.

The 2005 enduro built up correctly is an absolute classic do it all bike. From long tough mountain rides to uplift days, they are a bike that loves to be hammered. Shy away from components that wont take the abuse and love it for what it is – brilliant

How many xc bikes love this kind of abuse

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘2005 Specialized Enduro weight’ is closed to new replies.