Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 2 rides, 2 Derailleur Hangers…
  • Haze

Just back from my second road ride in as many weeks, and once again my rear derailleur has paid a visit to my spokes.

Can’t honestly say what happened the first time, but this morning it definitely happened when I shifted on the the large cog.

Limit screws seem fine, with the chain off I can pull it over to the large cog and it lines up perfectly leaving around quarter of an inch gap to the spokes.

I must be missing something as it’s clearly not right, any suggestions?!

(Shimano 105 btw, 5600)

Stevelol
    Free Member

Frame (or something else) flexing under power? Check around for cracks.

Oggles
    Free Member

Limit screws set wrong. Ignore having it ‘perfectly lined up’. Set the chain on the second largest sprocket (and small chainring), then set the limit screw as tight as it can be while still allowing the chain to move comfortably onto the largest sprocket when you pull the cable.

Haze

Have thought about a combination of things flexing, but this time I was hardly putting any power down.

Haze

Cheers Oggles, will give that a try.

Can it really be that far out setting it by eye?

Oggles
    Free Member

Can it really be that far out setting it by eye?

It’s difficult to take into account the side to side float in the top jockey wheel when you ‘eye it’ – which could be the difference between your chain staying on and having the derraileur in your wheel! This method is much easier 🙂

Haze

Cheers, guess I’ll be using that method from now on…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘2 rides, 2 Derailleur Hangers…’ is closed to new replies.