Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • £1800 for a frame……madness!!
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

@hora – the airframe is basically worthless as you say, partly as it’s the component with the least durability and partly as to re-use it you have to spend money melting it down etc etc. The engines form the majority of a used airliners value as you can bolt them onto something else or strip down for components.

To OP there are plenty of great frames around the 1k mark

maccruiskeen

One of the smallest returns was the actual aluminium – apparently the whole lot can sometimes go for $3,000-4,000.

Slightly OT but the majority of a frame is alu…the rest is marketing and markup after the shock is taken out of the equation…lets face it a 2k frame will have a £300-400 shock?

So what you are suggesting is that because an airframe is only worth £4k as dirty scrap (its more than that though – the 737 sized fuselage I bought a couple of years ago was more like £8k, and that wasn’t complete) then that is all it costs to build an airframe?

bwaarp
    Free Member

You bought a 737 fuselage? What for? :mrgreen:

_tom_
    Free Member

mtb stuff is very overpriced and doesn’t seem very strong for how much it costs. I never broke much bmx stuff and the whole lot cost less than a suspension fork these days. Fair enough there’s less to go wrong but still..

maccruiskeen

You bought a 737 fuselage? What for?

I told you – I bought it for £8k, do pay attention.

Bought it to blow it up, then carefully put all the bits back together again. Should have been brilliant fun but it wasn’t.

bwaarp
    Free Member

That’s what I meant…usage. Work in counter terrorism/intelligence/forensics then?

Oh…I see….art lol….cool.

maccruiskeen

mtb stuff is very overpriced and doesn’t seem very strong for how much it costs.

the cost/added value is in making it as light as possible, the trade off for making it light is that it’ll end up being only just strong enough.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

After reading this thread, it got me thinking – the only “problems” I’ve had with bikes and related purchases have been with manufacturers/distributors/sellers of high-end or boutique brands. Seems to me that all the USPs associated with expensive stuff are just that – designed to justify the price, not any reflection on quality/performance/customer care.

AlexSimon

After seeing that 5 link, I noticed they have Bloods at £899.
    http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/122142.html
    Is that common?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Loads of quality frames been available new-old stock for half price or less, seen £2K yetis and Turners for £800, ibis mojos for £1100… I paid £1000 for a brand new Alpine 160 with CCDB, retail on that is £1800…

Who pays rrp?

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘£1800 for a frame……madness!!’ is closed to new replies.