Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 105 verses Tiagra
  • johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

A guy I work with is weighing up buying an Allez – he isn’t sure if it’s worth going up a groupset and getting the Comp 105 equiped bike rather than the Elite equiped Tiagra. His main use is a 10 mile country lane commute and the occasional country lane blast.
    Any opinions on the groupset and the Allez as a roadbike.

julioflo
    Free Member

I have an 09 allez with tiagra compact chainset. It’s ace. no matter how hard i try I can not get half as geeky about road bikes as mountain bikes, therefore I can not see why i would want a more expensive road bike. I have complete JOGLE and a handful of triathlons on this bike and it is fine.
    The allez frame does seem very light and the sizing geometry is spot on for my needs.
    ok so there are lighter and more forgiving overall bike builds out there, but for my needs and budget the alez was perfect.

I think 105 is lighter and you’ll have closer gear ratios, so therefore be able to suit your cadence better to the terrain. but if the bike is only for 10 mile commutes, then stick with tiagra.

may I also suggest that for lane commutes you may want something a bit more comfortable than an allez, it does have very racey / climbing geometry!

ahwiles
    Free Member

the 105 stuff is a bit lighter, and it’s 1 more gear, and it’s more expensive to replace stuff.

if your mate needs 1 more gear, and or to save a bit of weight, then 105 is worth it.

the allez is a great bike, but not much/any room for mudguards – he’ll want them in winter.

How about a Genesis Aether? – it’s a bit less ‘look at me!’, and it’s got room for bigger tyres/guards. 23mm tyres are great on smooth tarmac, but country lanes can get a bit rubbly, he may appreciate the option of running bigger tyres. i’ve got 26mm tyres on my allez at the moment, and it’s a bit tight in the fork.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Drapoon
    Free Member

What julioflo said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have exactly the same bike & agree with all comments. I switched the crank to 105, chain & cassette to sram 970 after the old kit wore out and noticed no difference in performance or quality.

The only thing that did not last very long was the rear brake caliper which only lasted one winter before seizing, poor maintenance probably a factor however…..

BlobOnAStick

I have an ’06 Allez (Tiagra) and a ’10 Trek 2.3 (105)

Gear changes on the Trek are much smoother and the gear range available is greater than the Speccy.

The Allez doesn’t have room for full-length mudguards and the Trek does. It may not be trendy, but when commuting a decent set of mudguards are worth their weight in gold.

The Trek is more comfy to ride as it has a less stretched out position.

I like the Trek.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘105 verses Tiagra’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts