• This topic has 15,382 replies, 380 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 11,161 through 11,200 (of 15,383 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • weeksy

Sod knows where the next level of ability can come from. 300w is pretty good imo and can’t see me really moving on from there. If only I were a calorie counting expert with a modicum of willpower.

blader1611
    Free Member

Weeksy – great riding fella, i was hoping you were following my wheel at the end there to get on the podium. I wound it up before the 180 turn as zwift naturally slows you down on the corner so i managed to get a bit of a slingshot out of there. I was already towards the front by the sprint line so just held it at 750-800w to the line for victory. The pace in the race didnt seem very high but the stats suggest otherwise so no surprise you had near record stats. I guess the shorter race distance for me made it feel a little easier. Some very strange category choices by riders in that race, Never seen so many c/d riders at the front pulling some big w/kg.

weeksy

I’ve raced against that D ‘man’ before and as today he was crazy strong… No idea why he enters D lol.

I was trying mate, honestly, i watched you and a few others kick on, but unless you time it right or have a massive sprint, it’s just not going to work out as we know. I only picked up a feather.. Which i mostly wasted on that layout anyway… Meh… All good fun though and nice to have a forumite there to play with. Especially one of the Zwift big-hitters 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

Not sure if I am doing this right. I joined a race at lunchtime (D) and managed to win it (although lots drop out) question is I am not sure if i am doing it right. I dont have a “smart” trainer but I have a Tacx with the kit that beams RPM and Watts plus I have a HR strap. I have set the resistance to the recommended setting but I suppose if I am going to “race” I should ensure I am getting it right…. I suppose my question for the experts on here, Does that seem OK and what else should I do to make sure it is accurate?

On a related note my effort is pretty consistent and having a non smart trainer means there is no benefit to being with other riders so I just look at the gaps at the side trying to maintain a lead or close down on people in front. What I see though is people making big gains when their wattage either doesnt change or even drops, all off a sudden they have made up 30 seconds etc. Its not really important but it all looks a bit iffy.

blader1611
    Free Member

Weeksy – i think judging by that race you clearly are a B rider. 300w avg for a race is pretty damn good as far as i am concerned. I think your next step is trying to maintain that and then look at trying to save a bit for a sprint at the end. Its the only way to get up the leaderboard i have found. I think in the last 6 months i have only finished 1 race with 300w+ avg and that was on Monday and it was only a 12km race.
    Surfer – other than buying a smart trainer then i think you are doing fine with the equipment that you have got. I am guessing that you dont feel the resistance changes when the gradient changes so you may be punished on certain sections due to zwifts estimated power curve for your trainer.

weeksy

I think your next step is trying to maintain that and then look at trying to save a bit for a sprint at the end. Its the only way to get up the leaderboard i have found.

I just don’t have one mate, when playing with the B or C guys, whatever the layout etc… I simply don’t have the extra… I could try a bit of hide and seek, but the issue there is when you miss a split and suddenly it’s all gone wrong and you’re floundering and 5s back ! So in todays race i was trying to sit closer to the pointy end just in case… but that does of course mean i’m working and trying harder, so less left at the end. But even when i’ve pushed less in the duration, i still don’t seem to have a kick. It’s no biggy, just pretend racing with no actual trophies.

blader1611
    Free Member

I know exactly what you mean weeksy, i am the same with the B group big hitters, just hanging on for most of the race. Though since joining Dirt and doing there races i have been able to summon up even a modest sprint when on the limit.
    Does anyone know if zwift are going to do a Yorkshire course in line with the World champs this year?

tomlevell

On a related note my effort is pretty consistent and having a non smart trainer means there is no benefit to being with other riders so I just look at the gaps at the side trying to maintain a lead or close down on people in front. What I see though is people making big gains when their wattage either doesnt change or even drops, all off a sudden they have made up 30 seconds etc. Its not really important but it all looks a bit iffy.

The gaps are consistent but rubbish. Uphill the times get closer and downhill they get longer. So you can be 10 seconds down on someone going up but when they go over the top and speed increases before you get there it can be 30 seconds.

With a dumb trainer and no power meter you’ll generally be binned from the ZP results but this doesn’t stop you racing.

nixie

I don’t have any evidence to back it up but my suspicion is that you will improve just because of ranking up. Its harder and I’d expect you’ll have to work harder which will give a further gradual step up, even if that step up is just in ability to maintain the effort without being dead on your feet. I try to both hide and stay near the front (for exactly the reason you were staying there).

Edit, blader’s experience seems to support this view, its also what I found after ranking up to A.

nixie

So you can be 10 seconds down on someone going up but when they go over the top and speed increases before you get there it can be 30 seconds.

Yes as you’d expect similar to racing cars into corners. Normally (assuming the same effort from both riders, no draft for either and flat for a while at the bottom) the gap will close back to 10s once you have both hit the bottom.

blader1611
    Free Member

I agree with nixie, the more you race in B and establish who are your nearest rivals the better. Its time to forget podiums and trophies and start going for personal battles. I have been doing this in the Dirt fondo’s and now can compete with the lead protagonists for the most part. Dont be defeated by weight either as one of the guys i ride with is 98kg and he has just beaten me up the Alp yet our results in the league lately have me ahead. Speaking of the Alp i did it on weds in 51:32 but i was tired and messed the start up so hoping later in the year to break the 50 min barrier. The leader did it in 43 something which boggled my mind.

nixie

43m ouch 🥺. Done just under 49m and have no idea where the extra 6m would come from.

I’m using team mates and a couple of names I recognise as targets. One of our admins is a very close match to me. He is a tiny bit better and can hold onto groups I loose early on. Late on I’m stronger. My immediate aim is to beat him consistently. 3-1 down and the moment.

weeksy

time to forget podiums and trophies and start going for personal battles

That’s you then!

blader1611
    Free Member

Weeksy i would be more than happy for you to beat me. Remember you were only 5 secs behind today, a year ago you were a whole category behind, that is some improvement and something to be proud of.

tomlevell

Not a Zwift race. Aimed at 300w for the club TT and fell short at 282w for 25mins. Power PRs all over so happy with that. Didn’t win the C cat though :0)

nixie

So I wasn’t going to race again this week but a crap day and low attendance in the BRT crit changed my mind. Up until nearly the start I was the second best ranked A so a trophy was looking possible. That was until Tim Cartwright and 2 team canyon riders with pedigree joined up!

Wow that was brutal. Got a lesson in real power from the 3 A+ riders. First attack up the ramp on the lead in (caught me napping while typing a message). Second on the sprint and third coming back up the Mall the after the U. Let them go at that point as I couldn’t recover quick enough between efforts and it looked like the three of them were very intent on going again and again until they were off the front! The plus point was the 30s gap that had opened up in a very short period back to the main group. I ended up riding with Luke Dix for the rest of the race doing 1 minute pulls each (well trying, he did more work than me I think). It was pretty much 6 laps of over under work! On lap 3 I nearly threw in the towel as it looked like the chasing group was closing but somehow we held them at 30s back (even increased it a bit in the later stages as they got tired).

We were still doing 1 min turns towards the end with me pulling down the Strand with the change over due at the U-turn. My plan was to let Luke take his pull and have a short rest which would have taken us to about 600m, then power by (we are fairly closely matched according to ZP). Seems he had the same idea but went at the U-turn :(. I tired to respond but didn’t have enough in the tank after a minute at 3-400W and he got away. I kept the power as high as I could to the line to cover off the next rider who was now charging. Finished fifth with new 1 minute and 5 minute power PBs (also not far off best on the rest of the power curve) :D. Not bad since I’ve got some kind of persistent bug. Also hit nearly max HR on the way to the line at 180BPM! I’m feeling surprisingly good today and also dipped into the high 75KGs on the scales. Time for a Zwift weight up date soon.

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=185084

weeksy

That sounds great and horrific all at once 🙂

nixie

So who’s doing the ZIPP speed trial this weekend? Looks like you unlock the ZIPP disc wheel if you complete the course. I want to but with a half marathon tomorrow choice of when is limited. Seems to finish 7.30 am on Monday so may use it as a light recovery ride to loosen my legs :D.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

you get the disc wheelset to use for the event only, its available in the drop shop anyway levels 35 for 808 and disc, 45 for 858 and disc, 1 million and 1.5 million drops

As a special treat, we’ve altered the physics of Watopia to mimic the Aguascalientes Bicentenary Velodrome in Aguascalientes, Mexico. With its smooth wooden surface and the thin air of 1887m//6,190ft above sea level, there’s a reason it’s the fastest track in the world. Both Vittoria Bussi’s & Victor Campenaerts’ records were set here, and the A & B groups will both experience these changes; the James Moore C group is stuck with old fashioned Wolverhampton, UK (aka normal Watopia) physics.

that’s quite cool

tomlevell

Yes but only for the slim chance of winning a pair of real life wheels. Did an interval session during it.

bigyim
    Free Member

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=185869

Was meant to be trying the new TT section but I couldn’t get into it for some reason. Not sure if I had the wrong bike? I tried the one at 8 then the one at 8.30. gave up in the end and entered this. Which according to zwift power I won my category. Really small field so not a proper win but happy with my watts per kg especially after An FTP test followed by an hour and half of sweet spot.
    Time to try and taper now for Birmingham velo on sunday.

weeksy

Very close to being a B there buddy!

akira

Did the short TT course, I’m even worse at flat races than I am at hilly ones. Zwift trolled me at the end ‘you finished in the top 100% of your category’ yeah cheers.

bigyim
    Free Member

Nudging closer weeksy. Seemed like a slow race till the last lap. Hanging on at some points to the A’s and Bs

weeksy

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=186509

Bit of a rubbish race really. Went off with the As and fast Bs but then died about 13-14 minutes in…. Was a pair of us taking turns but we were getting caught by the fast Cs and slower Bs…. One of the Cs averaged 4.5w/kg and dragged them back to us… GRRRRRR.

In the end i had a decent race for the line with a big bunch, but overall, a crappy result.

Some decent numbers overall, but the result, meh, not so much.

Kryton57

Might be racing tomorrow.  I’m supposed to be MTB-ing but the weather looks rubbish, so for the sake of an hour’s MTB get covered in shite I might do the 3R 50km Park Perimeter Loop Flat Race at 8:30 instead.

weeksy

Might be racing tomorrow. I’m supposed to be MTB-ing but the weather looks rubbish, so for the sake of an hour’s MTB get covered in shite I might do the 3R 50km Park Perimeter Loop Flat Race at 8:30 instead

Not a course that suits me, but if you race it, I’ll do with you.

Kryton57

Ok cool.  Ill post here about 5pm if im going to be in Zwift.  And remind me to take me phone for comms…

Ill just say now its a training race so typical strategy is out the window, i need to work hard for an hour.

weeksy

Ill just say now its a training race so typical strategy is out the window, i need to work hard for an hour.

Well if i play, i’ll do my best buddy 🙂 That will be all i have. Not 100% yet, depends on the wifes plans and whether i need to collect my lad from Scouts at 9pm or not. So we’ll see how the plans all go.

zilog6128

Was meant to be trying the new TT section but I couldn’t get into it for some reason. Not sure if I had the wrong bike? I tried the one at 8 then the one at 8.30. gave up in the end and entered this.

If you are on iPad, check that the app has actually updated otherwise you won’t physically have the data for the course! (This caught me out too!)

Anyone else do the Zipp challenge? New course is great, pancake flat, the scenery is cool too. Tough event but the novelty of overtaking riders putting out a higher w/kg kept me going 😃 OP would’ve loved it 😂 With the funky physics that’s probably the highest avg speed I’ll ever see in Zwift (or real life!!)

nixie

I didn’t manage it in the end. Legs hurt way too much from pushing hard during the half marathon and I’ve got huge blisters as a result of insufficient miles in my race shoes.

blader1611
    Free Member

It was the start of the Team Celebration series today with lots of big hitters out there and quite a few teams. I was riding for Dirt in the B group and all the usual fast riders were in there but there was an unusual winner today, it was ME. No idea what happened as my eyes were shut crossing the line but it appears i pedalled faster than everyone else. I should quit while i am leading the individual series.

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=186659

Has to be said though that the winner of the A group has a frightening 15s power for that race, really puts mine to shame.

weeksy

LOL i saw the results, it’ss far from unusual for you to be winning races mate ! You’re a damn damn fine B.

Well done buddy.

Me, i’m stuck in a meh today… After Mondays struggle i thought i’d look for a race as i am unlikely to make Krytons race later. So the one that suits to an extent is this. https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=186650

50km mostly flat…. but then i look at the Bs… there’s only 1 who has a 20min power down in my range, the rest are stupid quick…. All near the 4w/kg…. So we all know how that’s going to end for me. Badly. 2 of them are about the same actual power as me in W. Lets call it 260-270w for the distance.. but overall, i’m looking at last place before i even set off.

weeksy

Has to be said though that the winner of the A group has a frightening 15s power for that race, really puts mine to shame.

His 1 min power imprpesses me more… 9.3w/kg for a minute… in a race … sheesh.

Kryton57

I’m out weeksy – im going to get muddy and race for real.

blader1611
    Free Member

Thanks Weeksy. I have never won against these guys before, in fact i think my best finish was 8th in the morning grind series. Those A riders though are on another level, some of there 20 min readings are better than my 1 min.

blader1611
    Free Member

Just watched the live stream of the race this morning from the guy who finished in 5th. It looks like my sprint was timed to perfection, sadly i cant say i did this on purpose as i had my eyes shut for about 80% of the last half mile. Just for the purposes of blowing my own trumpet i shall for the next few hours refer to myself as either tactical genius or sprint god! It seems the last 32s of the race i did at 630w which actually gave me the sprint jersey but then 2 guys from the A race beat me so only had the jersey for 20 mins.

weeksy

Whatever has happened in the last week, I’ve fallen off a cliff ,! Just nothing there. Too high a HR too poor a performance. I did have a fair few beers in Liverpool at the weekend and have been feeling under the weather a little bit. But still, damn.

nathb
    Free Member

Congrats on the upgrade @weeksy – 300w is a fine achievement!!

I’ve done a couple of races over the last few weeks, but never have I done one quite like Tuesday nights.

I turned up with a bottle with a bit of mix in it, expecting a 45-60 min crit style race.

90 mins later I was still on the bike, had run out of water and gears weren’t happy. The race had split into two sets of 3 up front with me in the second group, riders were dropping out left right and centre as the realisation of this races length and brutality hit them. My counterparts kept attacking so I would try set the pace on the hill climbs high so they couldn’t lol. Final lap and I couldn’t get into the big ring (yep first time on Zwift I had been racing in the granny ring, ever!) but even if I could have I would have probably ended up in the same place – 6th.

It was Grand Central Reverse x8 – a hilly and quite frankly absurd circuit do race 8 laps on! Never again, will research the circuit before committing to a race next time!

To add to my woes I realised I’m down as a 76kg rider, I’m currently 74.5kg – this would have helped on this circuit!!

I don’t think the stats do this race justice but here it is: https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=186433

Going forward I’m going to try and keep my fitness up by racing one or two times a week – in preparation for some outdoor summer racing.

Viewing 40 posts - 11,161 through 11,200 (of 15,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.