Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Zwift alternative
  • convert

Mods- please close as an when a link to what I am sure are multiple similar posts is pasted up – just can’t find one using our current search function (grumble grumble, the old one was so much better).

Had a zwift account for a couple of years – it’s dawning on me that I only use a fraction of it – no interest in racing, turned off all the ‘chat’, couldn’t care less about my levels or unlocking clothing/bikes etc. And (very oddly I realise) the crowded virtual roads are doing my head in – dislike sportives for the same reason and in these social distancing times it winding me up – odd huh? So looking for an alternative.

Had Trainerroad back 4/5 years ago – it’s a bit dull but much better at training plans….if only I knew what I was training for any more.

Sufferfest – had a few of their early dvds and hated pretty much everything about it – the shite american music and the teeth itching ‘encouragement’.

At the moment I’m toying between finding a way to stay on Zwift but remove everyone else from my screen so I’m riding on some nice quiet roads (I think you can hack this, will need to google around) or return to trainerroad and think of it as a pain cave again. But in locked in times just riding is good too. With money worries on the horizon I can’t really justify multiple platforms.

Alternatives?

schmiken

Road Grand Tours?

convert

Road Grand Tours?

Great – not heard of that one – a bit out of touch. And free premium through CV-19, they are not stupid. Will load and give it a go. Thanks.

whitestone
    Free Member

Rouvy, Road Grand Tours (RGT Cycling) are a couple of others. Not tried either. Sure there are more.

TR is plain but effective – you can always have a TV streaming something like GCN Racing or Netflix if you want a distraction.

I suppose it ultimately depends on what you are getting on the turbo for and what, if anything, you need as “entertainment”.

I signed up to TR about five years ago then parked the subscription. I reactivated it last October as I’d a few events this year and, well, I’d let things slip TBH. I missed my first event due to breaking my collarbone so the turbo helped keep my fitness going through the aftermath of that then Covid-19 appeared and all the rest of my events got cancelled. I’ve carried on with the plans though as I’d never completed a full set of Base-Build-Speciality but there’s nothing to aim for now so mentally it’s likely to get quite tough. I’ll keep doing something but it’s likely to be maintenance/base type work, YMMV of course.

Stiggy

Road Grand Tours is fine, I was using it but my old laptops graphics card is now no longer powerful enough, back on Zwift.

ratherbeintobago

On a tangent, anyone have any suggestions what I’m doing wrong? Can’t get a Garmin Speed Sensor 2 to pair with Zwift (pairs fine with the iPad but just not in the app…)

mooman
    Free Member

I tried RGT a couple months back – very basic to say the least.

Cant you just load a route on zwift, and then disconnect from interney? it seems everytime I lose connection I lose all other riders around me.

seb84

Has anyone tried rouvy?

trail_rat
    Free Member

At the moment I’m toying between finding a way to stay on Zwift but remove everyone else from my screen so I’m riding on some nice quiet roads (I think you can hack this, will need to google around)

Unplug internet.

Voila empty roads.

dudeofdoom

Road Grand Tours is fine

I rode the cap de fromentor Monday (got an Apple TV 4K ) and enjoyed it.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I quite like RGT but for me the trouble is there are relatively few routes and most of them are basically just grinding up a long climb. The named climbs are fun once but I didn’t want to do them again.

grahamh
    Free Member

Quick question are any of these sites compatible with Linux?
    I looked as Zwift and it only gave a option of Windows10 or MacOS.

CraigW
    Free Member

Quick question are any of these sites compatible with Linux?

Golden Cheetah is free, works on Linux.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Zwift works on ios or android as well as Windows or mac.

teamslug
    Free Member

@seb84. I use Rouvy. I quite like it. The newer version is quite slick. I have tried Elite, RGT and Bkool. I like the augmented routes which are very clever. The training part is ok if you know what you need. There isn’t a training plan but if you know how you need to mix it it’s ok. It’s cheaper than a lot of the others too.
    I think you can 14 days free too to try it.

convert

To update my own thread – cancelled/froze my zwift account and restarted my trainerroad account. SO much happier. The training plan element has come on leaps and bounds since I last used it with every workout having an outside equivalent. It is incredibly easy to change a single pre-planned workout from outside to inside or vice versa and move planned rides between days if the need arises. I’m basically thinking of it as a virtual coach and loving the adaptability/connectivity between inside and outside.

All uploads and syncs with my work calendar so my Calendly app then makes sure no one books a meeting with me when I’m on the turbo! Put it in minimal mode on the bottom of the TV and watch a film above or listen to music/audio book.

So I guess it takes all sorts – I’m clearly an antisocial sod who prefers numbers to (virtual) people. I’ve got RGT as a freebie virtual world to drop into if cabin fever truly begins to get me.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Zwift alternative’ is closed to new replies.