Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Zee brakes
  • mattjevans
    Free Member

I was thinking of putting these on my bike, I saw one online store has them at around £115 (no rotors or anything else) but then noticed same store sells the lever for £28 and the caliper for £40, which seems like a big mismatch, I figure hose etc should only cost £10 an end, a bleed kit from epic works out £5 per end.

Given how easy I hear these are to bleed (and therefore presumably also to fill from scratch) this seems like a no-brainer, am I missing something?

andyrm
    Free Member

Nope, you’re not missing anything.

I have the Superstar hoses and fittings, plus Superstar sintered pads (same model as the new Saint ones). Was about £20 for hoses and fittings.

Dead easy to assemble and bleed. only thing you will need is the block thingy to grip the hose when you push the barb in, but you could easily make one. It’s just a block cut in half with a hole down the middle.

killwillforchips
    Free Member

When i was India many years ago, i saw a bizarre TV show called zee horror show.

It was so stupid and badly made it became watchable; the locals thought it was mega scary.

Maybe it too was made by Shimano.

wrecker
    Free Member

aren’t zee brakes SLX levers with the 4 pot caliper?
    Saint are XTR levers with the same 4 pot caliper?

mattjevans
    Free Member

The levers look similar to SLX though I think Zee is missing tool free reach adjust. SLX levers basically cost the same anyway

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Great to see link for the £40 caliper please

mattjevans
    Free Member

Not sure what forum rules are on that, but if you do a Google shopping search for “Zee brake calliper” its the first item that comes up.

However, it is from an online company that seems to generally have an OK reputation but I noticed some people have had issues with items that are not “in stock”

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Me thinks you will get no joy from the first company to list it as they do not allow you to put the calipers in your basket

mattjevans
    Free Member

Maybe I got a different result to you, I am looking at Winstanleys and I could add to my basket fine. I haven’t tried checking out as I’m not spending the £’s yet but it certainly went into the basket OK

mattjevans
    Free Member

I ordered them so let’s see!

mattjevans
    Free Member

muddlemeister, funny but I couldn’t add them to basket on my desktop computer but on my ipad it worked perfectly.

stuarty
    Free Member

slx lever and zee caliper ordered
    65 quid delivered
    not in stock
    ordered anyways
    In no rush but starts the clock

mattjevans
    Free Member

Stuarty what hose are you going to use – shimano bh90 seems to be recommended but there must be cheaper around

wrecker
    Free Member

Taking this further, you could buy a XTR lever (£56) and zee caliper and have saint brakes for £95 an end! Cheapest I can find them is about £145 so a saving of £100 on a pair.

mattjevans
    Free Member

Can buy the actual Saint lever for £58 from CRC

wrecker
    Free Member

Doh.

mattjevans
    Free Member

Well I just got a confirmation email saying part was ordered so doesn’t appear to be a mistake.

Anyone got suggestion for cheap(ish) hose (or at least cheaper than BH90 UK retail price). I emailed Superstar but got a useless response.

andyrm
    Free Member

Superstar hose is bang on. Same fittings as Saint. Under £20 all in!

stuarty
    Free Member

ERM hope hose ain’t a scud
    Was going to get the knob around the corner to does some lines using that hel hose that the bsb boys use just to be trick

Seeing loads of peeps sending shimano back to them German sites
    TBC
    Pizza delivered

bwaarp
    Free Member

I seem to remember that the SLX lever has different internals…it will work but you won’t get the same braking dynamics as a proper zee setup.

andyrm
    Free Member

Yeah this. Zee master cylinder is bigger to create fluid push through. Apparently 10% or so, can’t be sure but definitely took more to fill than xt.

stuarty
    Free Member

Smaller cylinder works for me
    Better hydraulic ratio more power offset by having to pull lever slightly harder

Whether it modulates the same remains to be seen

Might be the proverbial stick through the wheels

bwaarp
    Free Member

It also means the pistons might have to be run closer to the disks if they don’t push as much oil….

andyrm
    Free Member

Until you get used to them, Zee are horror power.

Then you get used to them and braking uber late. You forget after a bit, then borrow a mate’s bike and get a reminder how phenomenal Zee 4 pots are…….

wenanwhere
    Free Member

If it helps others in decision making I have slx m666 on my dh bike and they are definitely more than powerfull enough, german websites have them cheaper than the setup listed above for zee if you dont need the 4 pot power.

mattjevans
    Free Member

So buy the Zee levers? Could I run Zee lever with slx caliper on the rear?

stuarty
    Free Member

Bike discount we list zee caliper ,lever,hose etc
    Less than 100 quid probably better than the way I’m going but i’ll have a higher tech brake hose than the 3 core shimano

Does any one sell ,balls,or man the **** up tablets

mattjevans
    Free Member

Whatever you’re having, I want some…

What is the “hel hose that the bsb boys use just to be trick” ??

mattjevans
    Free Member

Never mind I worked it out.

What sort of banjo do you use with that hose?

mattjevans
    Free Member

Price of the Zee caliper on WSB is now £76. Guess it was a mistake.

stuarty
    Free Member

There for one
    here ffs lol

Erm yip price seems to go up when u click into it further

Wonder if they will honour earlier orders

kudos100
    Free Member

I can’t say I’ve had much luck with winstanleys in the past, their customer service has been shocking.

Hopefully they will make up for it by delivering me some discount brakes 🙂

stuarty
    Free Member

Matt not sure what combo off brake your fitting
    As the later servo wave levers are designed for the newer big bore hose

Shimanos pdf shows the sizes
    As for hose
    Im swaying towards goodridge dash ~3 (3.5mm) carboflex with black ends
    As for the fittings the knob around the corner will fit them save me ordering the wrong type

mattjevans
    Free Member

I was planning to do Zee front calliper, SLX rear calliper, undecided whether to do SLX levers or Zee levers

mattjevans
    Free Member

Just giving this some thought – if SLX master pushes a little less fluid than the Zee lever, shouldn’t that improve modulation at the cost of a bit of power for the same pull effort?

mattjevans
    Free Member
    stuarty
    Free Member

Looks like there’s nothing stopping you putting a zee lid on a slx body and possibly having tooless reach adjustment and what ever length lever you prefer
    Makes you wonder if they gained the better modulation just using the bigger hose

mattjevans
    Free Member
    dizcostix
    Free Member

despatch confirmed from Winstanleys today for 2 zee calipers 🙂

mattjevans
    Free Member

I haven’t got any such notification…:(

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Zee brakes’ is closed to new replies.