Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • XTR Trail levers and saint calipers
  • Jeffus
    Free Member

Can you run the two together or even Zee calipers, cheers

geetee1972
    Free Member

I read in Dirt that they wanted to do exactly this. I believe you can but I don’t know for sure.

mattjevans
    Free Member

You definitely “can”.

What is less clear is whether they are interchangeable in the sense they will work exactly the same.

Eg. I have been told in another thread that Zee master cylinder has a different volume to SLX. Shimano tech docs suggest, but dont explicitly say, that the master cylinders are identical but for cosmetics. Wish I knew which was correct

twohats
    Free Member

A mate of mine runs this combo with no issues.

rp16v
    Free Member

a fellow rider has this setup and they have never worked propperley after loads if bleeds ,so contacted madison tech for advise and said the xtr leaver hasent enough fluid push for the 4pot calliper as all xtr callipers are 2 pot,however zee lever is same shape but bigger leaver res so will work with any shimano 4 pots

yatesy

it can be done. but u need to use xtr hoses and run a bit more fluid in them. u put more fluid in them by having the bleed cup on the lever and pump the lever once or twice

rp16v
    Free Member

ah right he is running jagwire hise kits maby diffrent fluid capasity is the issue,ah well.hes irderd xtr trail callipers now lol

mattjevans
    Free Member

story on the fluid capacity of the Zee/Saint lever is starting to be consistent. Think I’ll use Zee levers to be safe.

honourablegeorge

Using XTR Trail levers with Saint M810 calipers & hoses. No hassles.

mattjevans
    Free Member

I think the combo was known to work fine with the m810 and lots of people used it.

It’s not clear the same is true with the new Saint m820 brakes

honourablegeorge

Not much point with the new ones, since the levers are more or less the same.

mattjevans
    Free Member

unless perhaps you have a perfectly good set of XTR Trail levers but some stuffed calipers that need replacing.

geetee1972
    Free Member

It’s a good point Matt, but how on earth do you stuff up brake calipers? I’ve only done it once, with a set of old Avids where I think the pad and the piston fused together and I broke the piston getting the pad out.

mattjevans
    Free Member

Mountain bikers are nothing but creative when it comes to breaking stuff…

wavejumper
    Free Member

Its a great combo and works well. Aaron Gwin used to run this combo so can’t be too bad?

bwaarp
    Free Member

With old M810 callipers, not M820’s.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘XTR Trail levers and saint calipers’ is closed to new replies.