Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Zeb or Fox 38
  • dyna-ti

2 bikes I like the look of(ebikes) Currently can afford either, and I think from pure electric in Glasgow its a reasonably short order time.
    Bike A is £4900 with the fox 38
    Bike B is £4300 with the zeb
    If its much the same fork I do need other bits like lights, few other bits and a new lid.

Thoughts ?,personal use of ?. reviews ?.

Ta.

Also what do you think the chances are of trying to haggle 😕 Can be paying in hard cash of £20 notes.

BearBack
    Free Member

If it’s the same brand then there will be more than just a fork difference. If it’s 2 bikes from different brands then there will possibly be other factors to consider beyond which fork such as the the motor etc.
    Which bikes are you looking at specifically?

dyna-ti

Same brand – Cube
    Bike A – Stereo Hybrid 160 HPC TM
    https://www.cube.eu/en/2021/e-bikes/mountainbike/fullsuspension/stereo-hybrid-160/cube-stereo-hybrid-160-hpc-tm-625-275-flashgreynorange/

Bike B – Stereo Hybrid 160 HPC SL
    https://www.cube.eu/en/2021/e-bikes/mountainbike/fullsuspension/stereo-hybrid-160/cube-stereo-hybrid-160-hpc-sl-625-275-greynblack/

A few other differences and the 4800 has a better charger, shock, brakes and wheelset. Overall theres a few differences for that extra 600, might make it the better deal. Certainly I dont fancy m400 shimano wheels at this money. Compromise, im sure but still seems a bit low end.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s a basic Zeb on the cheaper bike, so combined with the better shock, brakes etc – and especially the Newmen wheelset – I think the more expensive one easily justfies the extra spend.

joebristol

I think I’d go for the more expensive one. Basic zeb on the cheaper ones, cheap Shimano hubs 🤮 (vs Newman which are usually decent), basic shock with no piggyback (vs dpx2 with piggyback and lsc adjustment). Not sure how the 2 sets of Maguras compare but guessing the MT7 on the more expensive bike will have a much nicer lever.

oikeith

Sometimes its Fox tax, sometimes Fox tax also gets wrapped up with a higher spec of other components, the latter seems the case here. Id guess one of the most important things to have better on an Ebike is the brakes due to the extra weight so the Fox/more expensive one would the be one Id go for on that basis.

pampmyride
    Free Member

Check which Fox 38 on offer. Some OEM versions (on Haibke) have the older cheaper fit 4 damper, some with limited adjustments & a useless lock out. Replacement best damper unit is £400!!

joebristol

It lists the performance grip damper on the advert – so not fit 4 or the better grip2. Think grip is similar to the ifp damper in the basic zeb.

Northwind

I wouldn’t want the Grip damper, if that’s what it has. In some ways it’s fantastic- very low friction, I really like that- but the damping adjustment is pretty poor. You get a single dial which also doubles as a lockout and for me there’s just no good setting available, just a selection of bad compromises which sort of tease me with how good it’d be if I could choose. It just desperately needs separate high and low speed adjustment (even if that were fixed high speed and adjustable low).

I don’t think it should be in an expensive fork or bike if I’m honest, not because it’s terrible but just because of that random factor, quality forks for OE use should have enough adjustability to suit most riders at least pretty well. If you’re lucky and the range of damping is has suits you then it’d be a fantastic fork, but you need to be lucky. And it lacks aftermarket to fix its issues. (though, at least Fox have fantastic intercompatibility so if you hate it, you can replace the damper; but not cheap)

I have it in a 36 but the design’s the same in the 38. Haven’t used that Zeb’s damper though to compare, sorry. Charger dampers always seem basically competent, I’ve never ridden a great one tbf but equally never ridden any that I like as little as this Grip either.

dyna-ti

Phones pure electric about the 4800 bike, explained my average usage, and in that its going to the shops, running about thew town, maybe, actually hopefully getting further afield and more often and met with bollocks.
    “You do know that the shocks will need serviced about once a month ???”

I didnt ask them that nor care about it. and in truth what is a once a month for a 20yr old is more likely once every 4 months for all i use or would use it for. But boy do I hate getting such opinionated balls.

These guys would never get a job selling something like a Lamborghini, and you see a number of those in London. ‘Are you going to Germany to run it in the Nurburgring circuit Sir ?’ ‘Are you sure you wouldn’t want a Ford Fiesta hatchback for the run about town Sir ?’

Can folk not just have or want something high end to fart about on 😕 to live life as they see fit and take whatever comes along without some lbs sales prick throwing his sixpence worth in ?.

You know it really fking puts me off even buying an ebike. Theres loads i could use that money for. Complete set of everything Lie Nielsen do, a new big bandsaw and thicknesser or full camping kit for winter, best tent, best bag or even blow it all on coke and hookers.

This pandemics making things hard to get without a 12 week wait, cant just walk in tell him shut yer hole sonny and just give me the fking bike.

Grinds teeth.

chiefgrooveguru

“and in that its going to the shops, running about thew town, maybe, actually hopefully getting further afield…”

Are you expecting it to still be there in one piece after you come out from the shops?!!

dyna-ti

😆 Naw, this is Glasgow, they’re not that quick.
    Were it London I wouldnt even be buying an Ebike. There they’ll ramraid your house for it 😆

chiefgrooveguru

“Naw, this is Glasgow, they’re not that quick.”

You’re a braver man than me, I don’t let my Levo out of my sight when in town!

benpinnick

“You do know that the shocks will need serviced about once a month ???”

To be fair to the chap, it used to be that if you wish to keep your Fox warranty in tact (or rather not have to lie about it if you have a problem) then that was the truth. Service intervals were 30h. Your usage description could well rack that up a month.

Now more recently it’s changed to 125h or a year, whichever is quicker, but thats for a full shock service, damper and all. Using a bike like that as a commuter would rack it up, so maybe he was just misunderstanding you. Whats not clear now is lower/air can service. That generally won’t wait as long as a full service, but there’s no guide on that. I tell people as a rule 50h on a fox shock is about right, of course thats proper off road use.

Either way I think you’ve been a bit harsh there. The advice given isn’t that wide of the mark, just maybe out of date.

militantmandy
    Free Member

“the shops, running about thew town”

I would seriously recommend an 80 quid beater off gumtree and save your 5k full suss bike for it’s intended purpose.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

I’ve got the Fox Performance Elite (grip2) 36 on my non ebike and the basic Zeb on my ebike.

There isn’t much difference the Zeb is actually a pretty competent fork in basic spec, you don’t need lockout on an ebike just fully open all the time is fine.

But as others said its not just the fork that’s the only difference, I think the extra cost is worth it if you can afford the better spec.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Zeb or Fox 38’ is closed to new replies.