Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • your perfect bike light
  • trout
    Free Member

as it is turning dark earlier and talk has started on lights .
    what would be your perfect light .

as we all know most manufacturers quote the max lumens their light puts out along side the various gimmicks and this is the best available thing since the discovery of the wheel and far better than your existing light and every light ever made.

ok so there will be the 1000 lumens for 50p answers but just maybe there will be some sensible ones also .

so what would be your perfect off road bike light

ojom
    Free Member

i like my trinewt coupled with a mini usb to 'get to the trails' type idea. does what i want it to do so therefore is perfect. for me.

geoffj

Charges using a mini USB socket – no more proprietary chargers to lose and have to replace.

snaps
    Free Member

I use homemade 2 x quad Cutter R2s on the bars, one narrow & one medium optic powered from a 6.6Ah Li ion battery with Maxflex3 controllers & a triple R2 on the helmet with a 2.2Ah built in to 3 Marwi nitepro MR11 alloy housings.
    Just use the 1000ma & 350ma settings for high/low, get over 3 hours run time on full power, they weigh next to nothing & cost me under £100 to build (batteries are borrowed from work as we use them for portable equipment)
    Over 2000 lumens & I've been over 40mph downhill offroad which I couldn't do with 800 lumens last year.
    I only do 2 – 3 hour night rides so the requirements of say a 24 hour racer would be much different.

Ideal for what I want, light, compact, more than enough power (you can't turn down what you haven't got!) I also think that you should have 2 completely seperate systems in case one fails.

firestarter
    Free Member

one of your beasts with a built in battery like a exposure one but that lasts around 6 hours

Smee
    Free Member

Not too bright, not too white and battery lasts for ages.

andyeez
    Free Member

2 lamp units, 1 bar mount, 1 helmet mount running cordless from a single battery in backpack…

oh yes… 1000 lumens for 50p too! 😉

duckers
    Free Member

Good flood but also with with a penetrating spot, 3 settings low, med, high, built in battery pack (something like 3 or 4 18650's that can be removed and charged or easily replaced), cheap (of course). anything over 700 – 800 lumens should be enough output for offroad use….

BadlyWiredDog

Compact Cree T5 quad or similar with two light levels, compact external battery, spot beam with some spread and a battery level indicator – sounds a bit like one of those Tiger Lights but with four LEDs rather than three.

Preferably retrospectively upgradeable with latest LEDs – as per Lumicycle – and light enough to bar or helmet mount with an optional modular remote control, preferably wireless 🙂

And all for 20 quid 😉

I'm not bothered about tiny casings and mega light weights – not for trail use anyway, though it makes more sense for helmet lights. On the side of things, a Joystick Maxx with a P7 or similar please, but aren't Exposure about to start doing just that?

Simple really.

daim

For me it would be a compact light unit that could be mounted on bars or helmet. 3 power settings: ~1000 lumens max, ~500 lumens for less technical trails and give longer battery life and maybe ~100 lumens for commuting. Battery life should be about 3 hours on max on a "standard" battery pack (whatever that may be). Bar mount should be nice and simple but effective. I always thought the Lupine Edison rubber ring method was perfect. Battery should also be unobtrusive and easily mountable on stem/bars/tubes. No proprietory connectors for cable and batteries. A range of battery capacities. It must be waterproof. Ability to charge batteries from a 12v car source.

I ride several times a week over the winter and ride D2D every year. Something that does the above would be a winner for me. I think the key is having a light that I can use on-road as well as I have to ride on them to and from the trails near me.

I would also like the moon on a stick 😉

Thanks,

Daim

dobo
    Free Member

how about a mix and match package. e.g select
    batterys 2,4,6ah.
    lights e.g helmet, dual bar and tripple overkill.
    1 charger for all
    and a choice of qr brackets and helmet mounts
    hi-lo settings are a must with a nice easy to use button on the unit
    all in nice tiny packages with solid waterproof conectors and seals

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Something that lights the way really well like your Mag Mod Tripple that will last for 5 hours+ on one battery, that is light and comes with bar, stem and helmet mount all under £200 built.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

for me it would be helmet mounted, 4 leds, 2 central ones straight forwards – spots, and the outside pair more of a flood to light up the sides of the trail.
    Must be light and also fit the profile of my giro hex rather than a matchbox shape.

Battery in backpack

wireless/remote switch on the bars to toggle thru output/brightness

CHB

Trout, ever fancied a go at a self contained flashing rear light? One that projects a red patch on the road behind the rider, but still has the BS requirments of reflector and visability?

ojom
    Free Member
    scaredypants

1 bars (spready), 1 head (spotty)

dunno about how bright til I see some newer lights in action

switchable at least between med/high (maybe low for the road, or maybe just fitted with a decent "shade" like TJ's has – worries me what a half-blinded driver might achieve one day)

remote battery for headlight, not bothered about bars so much

(I quite like remote switches for bar lights, like old vistas used to have – so you can mount nearish to your hands)

snaps
    Free Member

I did also toy with the idea of a system that used the speed pulses from a bike computer to vary the light output to give more light the faster you go.

sv

troutie whats good for a helmet light? Been using a tesco one coupled with a P7 on the bars. Would like to order a 18650 compatible focused beam torch from Deal Extreme. Sorry for the hijack 🙂

IMO I dont think there can be a single perfect light. Prefer one on the bars and one poiting where I am looking.

hilldodger
    Free Member

From what I've seen, the Troutlight (and others) seem to offer plenty in the way of brute force output so perhaps I'd like to see some more 'function based' options such as:
    Twist adjust optics (like maglite torches?) so you could tailor the beam to your riding conditions
    Flexible fibre optic (or tiny led??) output for reading bar mounted gadgetry
    Body system that allows you to switch between onboard batteries for short runs and a remote battery for longer rides (ie detach the battery pack and replace with connector unit)
    Something that performs a similar function to the L*m*c*cle glowring to give some peripheral visibility
    and of course, plenty of colour options to enable coordination with your blingery 😉

ojom
    Free Member

snaps – the trouble with that may be that the slow speed techy stuff may suffer

scaredypants

Actually Trout, the other thing I though was good about your massive light was the downward "spill" – would be extra nice if it could extend far enough back to show the chainrings (& what's wrapped around them now & then) but less of an issue for anyone with a headlight

mudpup
    Free Member

Fenix PD30 – buy 2 and you're sorted for under 100sniffs inc twofish lockblox and batteries

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

two lights. Both single MCe or P7 leds. tight beam for head and medium for bars. both with 2 levels of light. Gives 4 levels in total – plenty of light with decent life without too big a battery.

vinnyeh

similar unit configuration to exposure lights but with the battery piggybacked in, and preferably the ability to piggyback more than one battery, with the option of running batteries off a lead as well- letting you helmet mount with remote batteries, or run one battery on the lamp and one on the frame etc.

billyboulders
    Free Member

Just two modes- high or low beam at the flick of the switch. I have no need for strobe and its a PITA having to cycle through different settings when your riding.

CountZero

Something that has a good spread to the sides, with good depth penetration. Your mega 6 led looks just the ticket, but possibly having a remote switch close to the thumb. O-ring attachment like Lupine or the bastid DX light. If the mounts from that light are available as spares then fitted to your light with a remote would be nigh-on perfect, with a smaller 3led helmet mounted with a spot beam. Oh, and hours of battery life, please. 😉

RepacK
    Free Member

The night vision of a bat – ultimate stealth mode 😈

Toddboy
    Free Member

Good flood and depth coverage is a must. I like the idea of twist adjust optics.

samuri
    Free Member

I'd like an LED light, one unit with the battery inside, high focused beam for normal riding with a wide spread for offroad. It needs some lights to tell me the battery power and a switch for very easy changing between beam spreads, not pressing the same button to cycle through them. Oh, and *has* to have a permanent on low with flashing for road riding. Plenty of side visibility too.

Obviously long battery life is essential. My exposure enduro light is fairly close to what I'd ever want, it just doesn't have the wide spread or the side visibility.

Also, I want a high quality rear light. Battery included, LED's that offer flashing, steady and both at the same time plus side visibility but for a rear light the most important thing is waterproofness. I'm tired of rear lights having to be replaced through water ingress. Make alight that's properly waterproof.

scaredypants

voice control

lasers

disco mode with a mirrorball

Pieface

The self contained nature of exposures makes them good for when commuting.

As well as the ability to adjust brightness would be the ability to adjust beam pattern too (like the Maglite function someone mentioned earlier).

Battery charge indicator good too. Also cycling through settings can be a PITA, better to press a button for a setting.. but then cycling for settings may be easiest if you could get a good remote button thats slim and can fit next to the brake lever, otherwise you end up with loads of buttons.

Having gone to a bar mounted light I think helmet mounted is best for all those 'corner of the eye / looking round corners / at the chainset' sort of stuff…

Therefore a head mounted L&M spread beam (flood with good spot) that is incredibly light, with minimal wiring with a small battery in the pocket and a handlebar remote to adjust power setttings would be great.

CountZero

Heh, I can imagine Trout shaking his head thinking, 'how the hell do I resolve all these different requirements'. Not sure you can, but while your existing design light, with an o-ring mount and remote switch is about as ideal as it gets an alternative Exposure-type light, using 18560 batteries that are chargable in the light, but easily replacable further down the line, with easily upgradeable LEDs, making a modular, future-proof light, again with an o-ring mount. Why the o-ring emphasis? I've got several bikes with different size bars, so swapping brackets has to be removed from the system if possible. Is this light possible? Yes, I guess it is, with the right sort of engineering. Can it be done cheaply, like the existing Trout-light? $64000 question, that.

BoardinBob

Have to admit, my Airbike SL2 is pretty much perfect.

700-ish lumens max
    3 switchable levels
    1 strobe setting
    Good wide beam
    Good construction
    Great battery life
    £125

Some will say it's too floody but I prefer a bar mounted light to be floody and if you need a focussed light it should really be helmet mounted

trout
    Free Member

Some interesting feedback there thanks some doable some not so doable
    unless you work for a couple of rice grains a day .

CHB

Trout, as above, there are lots of lights that are OK for off road.
    The one gap in the market is a light system that is road legal, but f=ing bright, with a brief high lumens mode that also give offroad prowess!

The challenges are different, side spill, need for reflector on rear, ease of removing from bike. USB charging would be good (would enable a VERY small battery).

Go on, you know you want to!

Also my mate in steeton, wants a high power light to mount onto the front of his blue HASE recumbent trike!

Gary_M
    Free Member

– different light levels (urban use to pitch black)
    – side visibility so I can use it commuting too (glow ring?)
    – flashing and constant option in one unit again for commuting (like the cateye rear light TL-LD1100) – more a blink than a strobe on flashing though.
    – long run time
    – light weight
    – good sealing
    – easy use buttons even with thick gloves on
    – highly reliable
    – quick charging
    – different light spread option for road and off road
    – charge level indicator
    – tidy (as in nice mount and battery pack attached easily)
    – easy/cheap to upgrade either by the buyer or seller
    – ability to project text such as 'pull out in front of me again **** and I will kill you, your family and your families family' or something along those lines 😉
    – ability to plug in ultra bright rear light too

I use my lights mainly for commuting (20 miles each way, 10 of which is across a pitch black moor road) so that's the angle I'm coming from. I need the perfect light for this and I've yet to find it. In winter I need to run lights for the urban part of my commute – which means a cateye el530 for side/front visibility and a wee flashing light, then a set of niterider dual minewts for the proper dark bits. It's far from ideal. If I had one light that would do the urban and proper dark bits it would be ideal.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Oh and being able to replace the faceplate on my thomson stem with a black anodized light would be fantastic.

crazy-legs

Not strictly related to the OP but USE/Exposure Lights have a job offer going:
    http://www.exposurelights.com/interactive/job_opportunities/index.php

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

Not sure why people are requesting a flash mode.

I didn't think it was legal to ride on the road using only a flashing light. I see it loads, but I didn't think it was legal.

As both a car driver and an urban cyclist, I find flashing bike lights silly and potentially dangerous. If I were to design a light for bike use, I would not include a flash feature. I think those Manufs that do, only do so to be able to claim longer run times.

As for having a flood and a spot light pattern option. Wouldn't that require different set of optics ?.

If so, then you'd be switching between the LEDs sitting behind your flood optics and LEDs sitting behind your spot optics.
    So then you're just switching between the two sets of LEDs. That could result in quite a few LEDs to include in a single light.

Don't get the mini USB request either, why mini USB ?, I wouldn't have thought that you'd be able to use your phone charger to charge a bike light, due the differing battery requirements.
    For this reason I'm guessing that there will not be a unviversal connector agreed by the manufs, as their batteries have different requirements. Unless I suppose, you had an intellegent charger which could sense whether it was charging two cells or four, what their voltages and capacities were, etc…

CC.

CHB

Flashing mode is a must have for comuting, much more visable than just a static light (I tend to use both together for combined visability AND legality…hence my request for a road legal, bright Troutlight for front and rear).

Mini USB is 5v, this is plenty for lighting (potentially, I have LED lignting that runs on 1.2V through to 7V). Mini USB is on many items these days, from Phones to Garmins etc etc. Even if the plug may differ, 5v seems to be the defacto voltage for charging mobile devices.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘your perfect bike light’ is closed to new replies.