Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • your perfect bike light
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

flashing and constant option in one unit

I wouldn't want to have just a flashing mode on. Why do you find flashing lights 'silly and potentially dangerous'? On their own possibly but it's not something I would do.

DaveGr
    Free Member

From my off road angle.
    1) upgradeable LED's if I want to in the future
    2) doesn't use a proprietary battery so I can replace it easily/cheaply when it fails without having to buy off the manufacturer
    3) don't mind if the battery is integral or not so long as point 2 is followed and any external battery can sit under the stem
    4) run time = 4 hours on high, meaning on two batteries I can get 8 hours minimum but more if switching between high / low
    5) high and lower power levels. Not bothered with flashing. Max power has to fit in with points 3, 4 and 6
    6) lightweight
    7) battery uses standard charger
    8 ) flood for bars, spot for helmet
    9) good customer service / support
    10) battery "power left gauge" though not sure how useful this really is

So for me that was a Lumicycle LED3 with 2* 2.6ah hour batteries. Allows me to run through the night at 24 hour races using the two batteries. I'm now looking for a cheaper head unit which will run off one of the batteries so I can use two light systems all running off the same type of battery/charger.

Commuting – cheap, small, compact, integral so easy to take off and store.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Still like my bright enough, light, simple (on off) head and bar setup.
    EDIT-ahhh, perfect setup, way of mounting headlight below my eyeline so I can get more depth perception from shadows and maybe a slightly different tone for both lights to help with picking out details.

smudge
    Free Member

I'd like a 1,000 lumen+ helmet light with high/low light power.
    A built in battery for an approx 2-3 hr bike ride on max.
    The back of the light would have a connector that would allow charging through and more importingly an additional battery could be plugged into it that would just have a long lead from you're camelback.

Oh, also maybe a couple of small or one red led on the back of the light.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

What i really want from a light is a system like Exposures, one on the bar and one on the helmet, and a rear, but just the head units, with flying leads, with one big bottlecage/frame mounted battery unit they can all plug into.
    Plus the Exposures dont have enough of a beam spread, and have quite a hotspot.
    Also i only really need a light to have two settings High and Low, but it needs to manage 3-6hrs in high.

What did surprise me last night though is that i managed just as well with just a joystick as i did with three times the power, maybe just had to concentrate a little more.

Cant wait for my new light though.

Wiksey
    Free Member

Flexibility is the key to make any of these light suggestions a good commercial prospect.
    The Fenix lights are good because they run on AA batteries but could do with being brighter and the TwoFish bar mounts aren’t as sturdy as a dedicated bike mount.
    What would be perfection for me then?
    Something that takes a number of AA batteries so the batteries can be used in other things and a dedicated charger isn’t required
    Low, medium & high settings with low being bight enough to use on lit roads, medium being bright enough for low speed off road (fire road climbs) and high being bright enough for higher speed off road.
    Needs to give a good spread of light close to the bike with a narrower beam penetrating further down the trail in high mode.
    All this in a compact container with batteries side by side rather than in a line.
    A good solid bar mount that actually clamps to the bar and could take a variety of torch style lights could be sold separately to people who are unhappy with TwoFish.

Ideally I’d want something like the HOPE Vision One but brighter and about half the price

radoggair
    Free Member

i'm thinking way outside the box here and prob not doable but here's how my brain is thinking. Instead of a light system that you clip onto your bars or your helmet can something be designed where it is actually your handlebars. So………. incorporated into your handlebars ( and a bit like how they have pieces of carbon showing into your cranks etc ) you have different lumens LED's(changeable as lights gets better) sat behind a reflector glass which runs flush with the rest of your handlebars( so the lights are within in your handlebars). Since you can run 3 or 4 either side of your stem you can have them at different angles/ beam lengths. The rechargeable batteries simply fit and connect into the end of each side of your handlebars and are held in by fashionable bar end plugs ( or similiar). A button either incorporated into the bar rider side or even a system similiar to how gripshift works so you dont have to leave your grips to change setting during road/offroad can toggle between flash/solid and low/medium/high beam ( left and right grip for gripshift system). The only downside would be weight of your bar but you would have that anyway with a light system on it. Plus sides are you can lights on your bike 365 days a year in case of being caught out, security would be high because no one would really expect a handlebar to be lights incorporated and everything would be like riding a normal bike so chances of breaking things in a crash are alot lower.

Is this possible??

Gary_M
    Free Member

The rechargeable batteries simply fit and connect into the end of each side of your handlebars and are held in by fashionable bar end plugs

Nice idea, but would seem a bit of a faff to get the batteries out to charge them. Also how would you get them into for example a set of drop bars?

radoggair
    Free Member

Dont think it would be much of a faff. The battery connector inside the bar would be spring loaded so the battery would sit a few mm outside the bars when not screwed in by the bar end plugs so would be easy to take out and put bcak in to charge. For drop bars, this could prove harder. Maybe run a 2 'AA' battery either side giving 4 batteries worth of power and carry spare batteries with you. Maybe a neat design where a stem/bar combo could be in place and the stem being hollowish between the steerer tube and bar clamp and the battery could fit in and connect in the middle of the stem. The stem would still be plenty strong enough anyway but the battery pack in the middle would give extra strength

kinda666
    Free Member

smudge – Member

I'd like a 1,000 lumen+ helmet light with high/low light power.
    A built in battery for an approx 2-3 hr bike ride on max.
    The back of the light would have a connector that would allow charging through and more importingly an additional battery could be plugged into it that would just have a long lead from you're camelback.

Oh, also maybe a couple of small or one red led on the back of the light.

Very much like the one trout was going to build before the bastid light came out?? 😀

800-1000 floody lumens on the bars, 5-600 spotty lumens on the lid, but nice and light if the battery pack is mounted on to the helmet!
    Be nice to have 1 charger for all, and atleast 3 hour runtime for both lights, with high/medium/low settings!

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘your perfect bike light’ is closed to new replies.