Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 225 total)
  • Your most memorable nightclubs
  • bokonon
    Free Member

Q club in Birmingham – atomic jam specifically, but flashback or many others.
    Earko @ custard factory, B’ham
    The end in London
    Sankeys soap in Manchester
    The original warehouse project venue @ strangeways
    The bunker -Alderney, not actually a nightclub, just an actual bunker which the police turn a blind eye to, because there are no clubs on the island – top notch, all nighters and longer.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

A bridge under the m25. 8)

piemonster

A bridge under the m25.

Hmmm, we may have met once in a field Buckinghamshire way

enduroforever
    Free Member

Empire in boro late 90’s
    Tall trees pre-2002
    Stax in Catterick up until the day it was pulled down

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

As a Leeds lad I have to say Basics but I’m glad a few people have mentioned Turnmills; spent the mid 90’s in London and rolled into Trade many a Sunday morning to do the 6am til 12 shift before moving onto Villa Stefano in Holborn, happy days, god knows how my brain’s intact 😳

russ295
    Free Member

Shindig @ the riverside Newcastle

Epic

enduroforever
    Free Member

Also the stinky boat at Newcastle. A floating holding pen for horror movie extras

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Davesmate, this is for you, unless you went to the Quad no one will understand
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui-TaOq2gEU[/video]

richpips
    Free Member

I use to be a regular at the Hayfield in Leeds, not your classic nightclub, but always dancing Red Stripe and trouble, sadly which in the end, got way out of hand.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Remix, Bournemouth

and Flying at Cellophane 92 I was there lol

p7rich
    Free Member

Oscillate @ various Brum venues
    Atomic Jam @ Que Club & The Hummingbird – Brum again
    The Social – Nottingham

john_drummer
    Free Member

I’ll start with Rooftop Gardens in Wakefield

I did a gig there once. not to mention a few at Heppy’s under its pseudonym “the Hellfire club” in the early 80s
    And one or two at Raffles (on Cheapside IIRC), top floor.

I DJ’d at Tumblers in Bradford on its “alternative” nights for a short while in the mid 80s.

but most of my “clubbing” (if you can call it that) was at Pickwicks, Bradford. 1982-90, then I moved across town to Laisterdyke. boy was that a mistake 😯

Saw the Sex Gang Children at The Warehouse, and possibly Skeletal Family too, but I wasn’t a regular

Raouligan
    Free Member

Vibealite
    Tomorrows World
    Dielectric
    Kinetic

Banging hardcore nights

theotherjonv

went to the Riverside a few times but only for bands, never a club night.

Ah, the days.

One a few up in the Pyrenees reminds me of a ski trip one in Les deux Alpes. For reasons best left unexplained, we’d just been refused entry to a bar due to a/ general pissedness; and b/ me being dressed in one of those paper suits they give nonces while they’re swabbing their clothes. I have to expand that I’m not a nonce, it was from the clean room at a mate’s work, and it had also been ‘decorated’ with drawn on NASA style insignia to make it look like a space suit. Although the rocket motif was decidedly coack-and-ballsy.

Anyway – while mulling over how to continue our journey from being proper pissed to mortal, a bloke comes tearing up in an open top US army style jeep, beckons us over and invites us to go to his ‘shitty little’ club. After some brief negotiation (‘does it have beer?’ ‘Yes’ ‘OK’) he took us there. It was little, and quite shitty, but our first beers were free. We were mulling over whether to stay or go when the most extraordinary thing happened. The music stopped, the dance floor cleared, and 2 lasses (Lolita and Anita, apparently) came onto the floor and simulated some quite filthy acts. Then they came round with a bucket for tips and that was that.

We became regulars for the rest of the week, and by Thursday had been promoted from queueing punters to fully fledged jump the queue VIP room types (OK, a bit of a roped off area but where your beers were brought to you)

I can’t for the life of me tell you what it was called, because I was was very, very drunk.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Got to be The Rat Trap on Glasgow, followed by Bedlam after the formers demise.

Nice mention of Clatty Pats I see by some obviously sick individual… thpugj it used to be good for the student nurses…..

IanW
    Free Member

Now then lets have a think.. these are not recommendations btw

Dollars and Dimes-Bradford
    Cinderella Rockerfellas-Leeds
    Batley Varieties-Guess
    Phoenix Bar- Thornley? Thornton? somewhere between leeds and Bradford.
    Mecca/Ritz/Confettis-Leeds
    Top Cats-Leeds
    Big Lils- Leeds

Theres probably others, never had much success with the ladies in them and cant dance so Im not sure why I bothered.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Richpips, didn’t the Hayfield get knocked down after a murder??? I used to go the Blues Bar in Chapeltown, that was scary as well

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

1992 Hacienda in Manchester, Was a Ibiza night and K Klass was playing. Probably the best ever night out I’ve had.

Oh and just remembered a few nights in the Paradise Factory in Manchester, the old home of Factory Records. Now that place was an eye opener!

Haze

Many Q club nights
    Nuclear Free Zone, 414
    Zero Gravity, various

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Ayr Pavillion Streetrave nights ( pre hanger 13)
    Prestwick Airport Streetrave new year parties. (Yes they took over a whole airport terminal and we were dancing on the Avis car hire desk lol!)
    Also the Pleasuredome in Irvine circa 1986ish was awesome. My first bar job and had some amazing times.
    Also sub club and Tin Pan Alley in Glasgow 🙂

compositepro
    Free Member

Music factory in sheffield
    leadmill in sheffield
    gatecrasher when it first started down the wicker in sheffield

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

The Mayfair – newcastle.

zbonty

Various outdoor events 91-92 for an intro
    Orb allnighters at Brixton
    Ministry in ’91 for the hot Israeli chic
    Club Uk for Laurent Garnier
    Rotters Golf Club. Weatherall/Hawtin
    Checkpoint Charlie @ After Dark so many fun nights.
    Fabric for hearing mates play a big room
    🙂

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I had a bar job at the Gardening Club in Covent Garden and on the gay night, Queer Nation, they used play ‘Its raining men’ and it was like scene from Fame, jock strapped men leaping onto the bar and giving it everything; quite a vivid memory

slowmart
    Free Member

Eves Wolverhampton
    The Dome Brum

The Boot- Whistler. late 80″s More of a bar but the best in Whistler

juanking

Davesmate beat me to it, The Quad Liverpool, kin awesome in the day. Bowlers Trafford Park and of course Wigan Pier. Then to the other end of the spectrum Downtown in Rhyl earlyyy 90’s, bad but good!

tomaso
    Free Member

Sterns near Worthing for all nighter madness

Atomic Jam at the Que Club for techno adventures

richpips
    Free Member

BenHouldsworth

Richpips, didn’t the Hayfield get knocked down after a murder??? I used to go the Blues Bar in Chapeltown, that was scary as well

Aye, it is now a football field.

Blues Bar, yes we used to go there too. Generally more friendly I found, well at least I never got threatened by a gang with knives in there.

ackie
    Free Member

Pawlett Manor near Bridgwater, Somerset.
    90s Rave daze

chipsngravy
    Free Member

+1 Sterns – All about the Underground
    Kev’s House
    Madisons

sputnik
    Free Member

Deviate – Cape Town

MrsToast
    Free Member

XLs in Birmingham, happy memories of headbanging to Dead Skin Mask. Also saw Lacuna Coil live there. Went downhill towards the end when they turned the downstairs into a lap dancing club and divided the upstairs into multiple rooms.

Edwards No 8 (Eddies) in Brum. Ace…. Until it burnt down 🙁

nano
    Free Member

In London:

The Cross
    AWOL
    The Rocket
    Coalesce
    Bagleys
    Georgie
    Clockwork Orange @ Camden Palace
    Turnmills
    Chunnel Club

Ibiza

Pacha
    Ku
    Space
    Amnesia
    Es Paradis
    Blue Marlin

Elsewhere

Tunnel NYC
    Sankeys Soap Manchester
    Back 2 Basics Up Your Ronson & Hardtimes Leeds
    Deja Vu Bournemouth (remember Kevin’s House & Madison’s too)

nickmsm
    Free Member

Sterns inter-dance nights, legendary club.

djglover
    Free Member

Soak / up yer ronson and back to basics at Leeds pleasure rooms
    Hard times
    Cream
    Rennaisance
    Clockwork Orange – Camden palace
    To the manor born sedgefield
    Club uk
    Haccienda
    rise, Sheffield
    One under some arches in Sheffield – cant remember name saw sasha in 1995/6 any ideas?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Q-dance in Zandaam just outside Amsterdam. Never been to a club where the people were SO friendly.

Q-Club in Brum. Been to so many “last ones” before it closes.

Canal Club, Wolves. First Base / Screamers, Wolves. UK Midland, Wolves.

djglover…. iirc the club under the arches in shef is called, the arches, bizarrely enough.

bokonon
    Free Member

Q-Club in Brum. Been to so many “last ones” before it closes.

I see it’s back open again…

_tom_
    Free Member

Ewer Street Car Park if that counts.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yeah, the q-club has been closing down since about 93. I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve gone to the last ever ever ever one, only to see 3 months later the actual, genuine last ever party before it becomes flats, shops, boxing venue.

Still. Had some immense nights there I vaguely remember.

The Fridge in Brixton was pretty good too.

wrightyson
    Free Member

One under some arches in Sheffield – cant remember name saw sasha in 1995/6 any ideas?

Was that the lead mill? Gatecrasher was there I think, saw sasha/digweed around that time on the northern exposure tour.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 225 total)

The topic ‘Your most memorable nightclubs’ is closed to new replies.