Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Your digital costs and will you cut down?
  • Daffy

We’re all talking about energy, but how much do you spend a month on digital services and will they take a hit with the current cost of living crisis?

We’re currently paying around £125/month (which is a LOT!) for everything – that’s BB. Sky, Netflix, Prime, Disney, Apple, Strava, Spotify, 2* mobile phones and Ring. Netflix may get the cut next and possibly Spotify in the future as I don’t use it that much. That would save £22. Strava premium probably won’t be renewed in the new year.

theotherjonv

few TV packages got culled at the weekend. About £35 a month, £400 a year. Or 2 month’s heating bill.

ferrals
    Free Member

Yes, as per the bike cost thread, GCN subscription and Trainerraod subscription gone. Also Babbel language learning thing, which to be honest I’d have sacked off anyway as not going abroad for a while.

toby1

Or 1 month’s heating bill

Surely?

I have netflix, spotify, amazon prime, Zen broadband but use them all and can’t see I’ll be cutting any that soon. I did go from print to digital only for STW, but the physical mags from the last year are all still sat in the magazine rack unread sadly.

tonyd

£125 per month doesn’t seem like much! (I know it should) we spend that much on Sky and broadband. Not cutting back yet, but very aware of cost vs value of everything we consume so we’re ready to.

stcolin
    Free Member

Zwift got the elbow a few months ago, so I’m left with Spotify and Adobe for myself. I have Strava but pay for that outright at renewal. Girlfriend and I share Netflix and Amazon Prime so thankfully not much.

jimw
    Free Member

£33 per month for broadband and landline including all calls, £14 month between us for mobiles and £14 month for tv licence, so £61 per month. No subscription services, never had any apart from a couple of magazines which went four or five years ago. Have no intention at present of dropping any of them.

johnners
    Free Member

I’ll be cutting down. I’ve subs running on Now, Prime, Disney and Tidal that really aren’t offering value given the amount I actually use them. I’ll maybe switch to starting and stopping the video services intermittently to catch new stuff as and when. I should be able to easily save £20 a month which isn’t a fortune but will buy a couple of decent bottles of wine!

franksinatra

Sky, Netflix, Prime, Disney, Apple

That is a lot of TV. We just pay for one at a time and swap them on a regular basis. Certainly Netflix, Disney and Apple let you chop and change on a regular basis

kelvin

£14 month between us for mobiles

Impressive.

Drac

£125 per month doesn’t seem like much! (I know it should)

It is a lot.

Currently I have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+ then of course my broadband total monthly cost of about £50.

They’re busy with full fibre in my street so I’ll upgrade my broadband which will be about £15pm more.

the-muffin-man

We have Spotify Family, Netflix and Prime.

Won’t be cancelling any of those but have just cancelled Now Sports as it was very poor value after initial offer expired.

I don’t think you can include broadband as ‘digital services’ as without that you can’t have any of the other services! 🙂

jimw
    Free Member

Impressive

I’m on GiffGaff £6 a month, she’s with EE on £8 per month. I suppose you could argue that we should include a running cost for the phone purchase?? Neither of us get near the low data allowance so no need to pay more

molgrips
    Free Member

Strava is pretty important for me, for the heatmap based routing on trails. I’m going to bin Adobe Creative Cloud, but the things that are staying are Amazon (music/video/postage), Disney+ for now and Netflix which gets watched the most by far in our house. We pay about £50/mo for mobiles for four, with 280Gb data a month to share. However the Mrs and I have phones on interest-free credit (which will be paid off by the summer) and the kids have the cast-offs.

We cancelled Sky many years ago. It’s crap value for money compared to Netflix.

Oh and broadband is £55/mo for mega fibre, which is awesome for work so it stays.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Netflix – Stepson allows us to use his.

We pay for:

Prime
    Spotify
    Zwift (just renewed ahead of winter)

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh yeah forgot about Zwift.

5lab

tv license (£10ish?), prime (£8ish?), borrowed netflix/lent disney+ (£4), stw (£1.50), broadband (£20), phone (£30 but paid by work so £0), dual spotify (£12?) so £50ish per month. Won’t be cutting any of them soon, I think I get vfm out of all of them except maybe the tv license.

multi21
    Free Member

I’m getting a bit worried as we’ve already trimmed most of our extraneous spending. Down to just Prime and Spotify now.

The only other thing is my mobile which i’m committed to another 9 months then can switch to Smarty or whatever.

w00dster

I have Netflix, YouTube and Amazon Prime. YouTube I really do use a lot, but at £22 a month its quite expensive.
    Sky is £60 a month, that includes Sky Glass (so TV). I have most channels bar the sport. I’ll be keeping that.
    Mobile is also expensive, £80 a month. Three with unlimited data and calls. This was important as I travel a lot so used the data for listening to music on YouTube app. I’m stuck on this contract for another year. Killer! My phone is a 13 Max Pro so should last me a good few years after the contract is up.
    I’ll probably cancel YouTube and Netflix and just use Amazon for TV and music. Will be painful to give up YouTube and go back to the Ad laden version.
    I also have Wahoo SYSTM, will also be keeping this for when I decide to try and get fit again! £15 a month. Hmmm, might have to give that the axe for now. Really do rate it, but £15 is a bit spendy for something used twice a week.

cinnamon_girl

No streaming services here although currently waiting for Viaplay (Scandi dramas) to reach the UK. No TV license either and have received a number of threatening letters from the Capita thugs. Only have broadband and landline, mobile pretty much ditched and can’t remember when it was last topped up (PAYG). Considered Youtube sub cos I enjoy the music on there but really it’s too expensive.

Daffy

£125 per month doesn’t seem like much! (I know it should)

It is a lot.

Currently I have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+ then of course my broadband total monthly cost of about £50.

They’re busy with full fibre in my street so I’ll upgrade my broadband which will be about £15pm more.

No phone(s)? no TV License? No music? No mags?

My £125 is everything for a family of 4 with an 11y old and a 6y old. Without NF, Spotify and Strava, we’d be at £95 which is pretty close to your £75 (inc BB)

fossy

Zwift has gone and not renewed GCN – I’m commuting to work again. Will Keep Prime/Disney and Netflix – finding terrestrial TV completely depressing with the news ! I had a ‘word’ with The AA and got them to knock 25% off renewal, and let me pay monthly.

IHN

We biffed off any TV packages a while ago, and, to be honest, I bet we get 95% of our viewing from iPlayer and don’t miss them.

Other than that it’s £25 broadband, about £25 for both phones, £10 Spotify (which is a bit of a waste, I don’t know how much it actually gets used cos I hardly ever do, and I doubt she does much either), that’s it I think. I’ll be starting Zwift soon, but I only have that through the winter.

Drac

No phone(s)? no TV License? No music? No mags?

Yeah I do but I took it we meant streaming more than others.

No house phone as it’s totally pointless, mobile is £15 a month, what about £12 tv licence a month no idea, I think I have apple family music now you mention it what’s that £15, mags no other than here and they gift me that for moderating. So, about £90 to £95 a month with everything then.

Oh and I was replying to TonyD more than yourself but can see why you got confused.

Daffy

I’ve just managed to get another £5 off Spotify every month, so down to £120.

tjagain

£18 pcm on my mobile. £25 pcm broadband. £ 10 pcm spotify. Stw whatever that is. Thats the lot

I need a better broadband deal and will revisit the mobile

Onzadog
    Free Member

Mobiles cost us about £6 each. BB is £22 Inc phone line (no phone connected)
    Binned off the TV licence and move around various streaming packages depending on what we want to watch and who has offers. Last 6 months, Now has been £1 a month. Disney I think we’ve been paying for with some sort of supermarket reward points thing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Broadband is up for renewal and will be changing suppliers as it’s been a while.

Mobiles are both sim only, although one S9 becomes unsupported next March so will need to look at an upgrade for that one.

Sky sports + BT sport has gone from an add on of that to add-hock jumping between whatever’s on offer, usually there’s some offer whereby if you pay £15 for PPV of a match on Now TV, you get a month’s access on the app as well.

Zwift I’m undecided at the moment, if I can fill my diary with enough clubs/group to fill the week up then it’s fairly pointless. Otherwise it’ll probably come back. I do have a fairly premium PureGym membership which I need to reduce down to the normal level too.

Prime, Netflix, NowTV Entertainment, Spotify. Will have a cull of those at some point, just need to reach the end of a few series first!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Currently got:
    5 mobile phones
    Spotify
    Netflix
    Prime
    Disney
    FTTP

Can’t do anything about the phones – and it’s £55/month in total so not too bad.
    Spotify will stay
    Netflix might be under threat
    Prime has just renewed at the old rate so that’s staying for 12 months
    Disney is a 3 month trial and I won’t renew it.
    FFTP (£37/month) – staying…. obvs.

No Sky as I ditched it long ago – IPTV will be renewed in April for £60.

simon_g

Not paid for TV except the times we were on Virgin and it was barely more expensive than just having broadband.

Freesat via the previous owners’ dish, £50/month on decent fibre broadband (mostly for work), Amazon Prime is free via wife’s health insurance, then Netflix (£10.99/month), Disney+ (£7.99/month), and I have youtube premium (£11.99/month) that we also use for music streaming. If anything I think we’d cut Netflix although the kids watch quite a bit, I think they’d be fine with Amazon, Disney+ and BBC though. Far too many fragmented services now, think we’ll keep to a couple and just rotate them.

Les Mills streaming at £7.94pm (some discount via work) although that will go now that wife is back in the office a few times a week so can go to the gym.

Mobiles under £10pm each for payg-type rolling contracts with 10+GB data and unlimited minutes and texts.

Strava at £48pa, I’ll see how I feel next time that comes around. I’ve canned Zwift as I’m giving up the box room for my son to move into and if I do get some turbo time this winter I’ll use some free trials of the rival ones.

Will drop STW to a digital sub (too many paper copies just get flicked through then recycled) and been trying out Readly which will be £8 a month, my wife and I can share a sub as it does separate profiles.

So just under £135pm if we pay for all those and include the £13.25pm TV licence. Cut Netflix, Strava, Les Mills and it’s about £111.

footflaps

I can never remember the full set of subscriptions!

Internet £24.99 / month
    Mobile £22.34 / month
    Spotify Duo £13.99 / month
    Netlfix £10.99 / month
    Prime £8.99 / month + £4.99 / month for some channel so we can watch French TV
    O365 £45 / year
    Apple £2.75 / month for photo backup
    Strava £7 ish / month
    Email £30 ? / year
    Flickr £60 / year
    NYT $4 / month
    Guardian £5 / month
    FT £155 / year
    Economist £90 / year

Sure there are loads more….

I dropped Le Monde as they upped it from £1.99 /month to £8.99 / month….
    Also culled Patreon subscriptions…

Kuco

Already made the decision earlier in the year I wouldn’t renew my Amazon prime subscription when it comes up for renewal in January. Just joined back to Netflix to catch up with some series but will cancel once I’ve done and got bored of it. I get Sky free through a mate but hardly watch it. I keep saying to myself if the tv goes bang it won’t be replaced anytime soon.

I have Zwift, was going to cancel but coming up to winter I’d probably be using it again. I get Apple Music cheap as part of my sim-only contract with EE so I’ll keep that. Though thinking of it I think I do pay for Apple fitness that I don’t use so need to cancel it.

I also have Readly but will keep that as I like it and it’s not much more than the price of 1 mag a month. And I think it would piss my sister right off if I canceled it as she has one of the logins.

birky
    Free Member

nothing to cut really …
    broadband 21.50 (landline but no included calls)
    tv lic 13.37
    mobile 8.74 sim only (3yo moto g7)
    no steaming services or subscriptions

jp-t853

It is good to write it down I think we have:

£39 – Broadband including unlimited calls
    £13 – TV licence
    £20 – wife & daughters mobiles mine is with work
    £8 – Disney+
    £9 – Tidal. I did question if anyone uses this at the weekend so it may be for the chop
    £2 – STW

So £91, if the wife and daughter could get wifi calling we could chop the landline cost down, they are on Tesco. A mobile mast was erected nearby at the start of the year but apparantly it is for emergency calls only?

ads678

Might get rid of the BT sport app, don’t think kids would let me get rid of netflix or spotify family. I’ve just renewed Disney+ but will cancel that agian once I’ve watched a few things I want to. Wife pays for amazon prime but I might suggest we drop that as I don’t think we get enough out of it.

Mobiles, we have are between £6 & £9 per month, one each for four of us. Get 32gb of data on the £9 ones though with plus net which I think is pretty good.

No idea how much we pay for braodband as it’s in the wifes name.

andrewh
    Free Member

Broadband £19 (actually £15 when you net off some cashback and tesco vouchers I got for signing up, but £19 comes out each month)
    Mobile telephone £10 per month.
    And that’s it.
    No telly, no subscriptions, no streaming, never felt the need for any🤷‍♂️
    There’s some big numbers up there, I had no idea telly was so expensive!

matt_outandabout

1p/month currently on Lebara 12GB/unlimited for all our mobiles (x3, plus elder two have their own 1p/month).
    £23 broad band and phone.
    £7.99 this month for Disney – we have a ‘rule’ of only one digital subscription at a time.
    £14.99 for Spotify family for the 5 of us.
    £13 tv liscence
    0.99p Apple back up.
    That is it.

funkmasterp

Got rid of Disney, Netflix and Spotify. Kept Prime for now. Will swap back to Disney or Netflix (maybe not) once Rings of Power as finished. Only other sub is to this place. Broadband is relatively cheap at about £30

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Youtube Premium, Adobe Creative Suite, Broadband + mobile (£43) and STW digital.
    Need Abobe and the broadband, if anything goes it will be Singletrack.
    EDIT: Forgot Prime. Must cancel that.

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

£16,99 spotify family (shared cost between 6 accounts)
    £25.16 bb
    £47 sky and Netflix
    £12 for 2 sims from sky
    £8.25 premier sports
    £2 nordvpn

Was considering removing Netflix but will keep it for now.
    Have security cameras which don’t need a subscription.

VW want £55 per year for the car net app on the egolf and another £42 for the infotainment system. I’ll not be paying it as the app doesn’t work a lot of the time anyway.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.