Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Your digital costs and will you cut down?
  • montgomery
    Free Member

don’t think you can include broadband as ‘digital services’ as without that you can’t have any of the other services!

Sure you can. I pay £22/month phone SIM only deal, unlimited data (on a three year old Moto G7 Power). No landline or broadband. If I want to fire up a month’s subscription on a service I just use the phone. In the rare instance I use my old laptop I use the phone to generate a hotspot. I’m sure I could get a cheaper SIM deal if I looked around.

No TV, but I pay the license (£13/month) because I like R4 and 6Music and think the world is a better place with them in it.

OS yearly subscription.

That’s it.

mattyfez

Mobile £13
    Broadband £22
    Prime, about a tenner I think?

So £45 per month.

footflaps

OS yearly subscription.

Forgot that one!

And also Audible at £7.99 / month

ji
    Free Member

I can’t believe how much some here are spending!

We have 2 mobile phones at £6.55 each, Prime at £79 for a year, so £6.58 per month, although this is about to go up, GooglePlay music at £14.99 for the whole family, and Broadband at £23.95.

So around £35 per month for the lot.

No TV license, Disney etc.

CountZero

I have Sky+, Apple1 and my broadband with BT, which is the most basic one now available, about £58/month – I don’t stream stuff, I’m not interested in sport and movie channels don’t bother me that much, I either read or listen to music. I’ve just upgraded my phone to an iPhone 14 Pro Max with 1Tb of storage and a 30Gb/month airtime package, plus the ability to upgrade any time in the future, and I’ll be still paying the same amount each month that I’ve been paying for the last three years. My current package has 90Gb/month, and I use about 5Gb.

Difficult to see anything else I can cut.

Drac

We have 2 mobile phones at £6.55 each, Prime at £79 for a year, so £6.58 per month, although this is about to go up, GooglePlay music at £14.99 for the whole family, and Broadband at £23.95.

Does your phone have a calculator?

jp-t853

ji
    Free Member

I can’t believe how much some here are spending!

No TV license, Disney etc.

Is that not £59 before Prime goes up?

EDIT Jinx

somafunk

£8 mobile

£17.99 Broadband

£19.99 Tidal music

£9.99 Apple music

$119.88 Roon (yearly)

£10.99 Netflix

Amazon prime £95 (yearly)

£10 YouTube premium

Free Apple TV

Adds up to quite a lot but I’m stuck on my arse in the house so I don’t mind

bob_summers

Not thinking of cutting these, but perhaps the most left field of my subs, given that I visit the UK once a year if that:

OS Mapping premium: 30GBP/year
    Online Welsh course: 99/yr
    Plus VPNs to watch NRL & Superleague matches

They’re safe for now as we don’t have heating in our flat, but if we did it’d be a different story…

ctk
    Free Member

My mobile contract just ended but including that

Landline and internet £30
    Mobiles X3 £45 (2 are on 1p mobile I soon will be)
    STW £2
    TV license £10?
    Disney and Netflix £0
    Crunchyroll £5

£92

I know it’s not much compared to some but it’s more than I thought tbh

irc

Broadband and house phone. £30.
    Amazon Prime £7
    TV Licence. £13
    Here £2
    Two mobiles £20
    Make the odd one off donation to worthy places.

Was previously £70 a month with Virgin TV/Broadband due to inertia/laziness. Haven’t missed it since going to Vodaphone Fibre and Freeview. I eventually had to leave Virgin when new users were getting my package for less than half what I was paying. Virgin wouldn’t do any deal presumably as they could see I had been with them since NTL days and I wouldn’t leave.

Ditched Netflix as well. Wasn’t watching it enough.

Probably watch as much stuff on free youtube channels as paid TV.

iwluap

Just binned Sky at around £120pm for TV (sports, cinema, HD), BB & phone, which was £35 for 17Mb and doesn’t cope very well with Disney+ And any other internet use or 2 Zoom calls at the same time. Just waiting for an engineer to plug in the fibre that’s been installed for 100Mb at £30pm (BT deal). No phone line any more (when Sky goes) as we pay for 2 mobile (£10pm each with 50Gb). Still got Prime, Netflix, Disney+ and Spotify. Probably get the least use from Prime, we all use Spotify and the kids almost exclusively watch Netflix or Disney+. Extra storage on iCloud and Strava are being kept too. And here!

dogbone

All tv packages cancelled. Will do the odd one month as and when there is something new to watch.

Mobiles all (4) swopped to Lebara.

Internet Virgin dumped to BT (and now on land line needed). That saved £35/month alone.

£10/month for spotify, which may have its days numbered.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just binned Sky at around £120pm

Holy shitballs – you did the right thing!

I either read or listen to music

I think reading can get quite expensive if you do it a lot, depending on what you read. If I read fiction as much as I watch TV, I’d be spending more than a Netflix sub I reckon. Non-fiction is much better value for money!

stumpyjon

Dumped Sky last month, was £85 a month going to £100 for phone, broadband and basic TV package. Been thinking about it a while. The price increase was the trigger, now on Plusnet for £30 a month. Might subscribe to Now tv, would still be £45 to £60 saving.

Have Netflix, Disney, Prime, Prime Music and OS maps. Prime is for free next day delivery as much as anything.

Can’t see Sky doing very well over the next couple of years, despite the incessant ads it’s not value for money, tired and contrary to what they say the only thing you get for being a long standing customer is price hikes.

tonyd

I think reading can get quite expensive if you do it a lot, depending on what you read. If I read fiction as much as I watch TV, I’d be spending more than a Netflix sub I reckon. Non-fiction is much better value for money!

Got a library card? I read a lot, mostly from Apple Books on iPad because I’m lazy but I much prefer a real book. I just finished a book so might dig out my library card and take a stroll.

jp-t853

tonyd – you can read magazines but also many books for free on the iPad using the Libby app and your library card

fossy

Our Broadband isn’t cheap – it’s BT, but we’ve had good service and have their Mesh discs (3). We could lose the phone line rental TBH.

Phone is contract so £45 but I think I’ll drop it down next year – very happy with current phone (Samsung S20), but what usually happened is my phone would end up as a hand me down as my ‘adult’ son is prone to smashing them !

Recommendations for high data use SIM ? We’ve a caravan, so use mobile data down there to stream TV.

kilo

BT broadband, think it about £70pcm , keep meaning to get a cheaper one but we had to use this as previous supplier caused issues with Mrs Kilo’s work dial in and her IT said get BT
    BT sport – comes with broadband, never watched it.
    Stw – probably keep that but every time the forum messes about I consider binning it.
    About £14pcm for mobile
    Eurosport is about a £8 pcm will keep that though not used it much.
    Apple TV is cheap but pretty crap.
    Mrs kilo pays for Netflix so that can stay and she has her phone provided by her work.

franksinatra

Our Broadband isn’t cheap – it’s BT, but we’ve had good service and have their Mesh discs (3). We could lose the phone line rental TBH.

I just renewed with BT and they wanted a lot of money to keep the Complete wi-fi disks (I think £20 extra per month). So I just downgraded contract and kept the disks, they charged me £60 for not returning kit but I’ll save that back after three months.

footflaps

I think reading can get quite expensive if you do it a lot, depending on what you read.

Try buying books in France! Makes the UK look very good value!

franksinatra

BT broadband, think it about £70pcm

I pay £70 per month for BT, that covers broadband (at average speed) and x5 mobile phone contracts on family plan (with 20gb of data each)

Poopscoop

Cut Virgin down to the bone. Just the BB now, no land line or TV services. Use freeview and streaming services which I switch around monthly. Plus some usenet.😉

Going back on Zwift though, soon I hope.

Giffgaff for my mobile and TV licence obvs.

escrs
    Free Member

£20 a month for TV and broadband (its actually £40 a month but we split all household bills in half)

£10 a month for Spotify

£10 a month for my phone (Giff Gaff sim only deal)

Thats it

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

NowTV BB with unlimited <60min calls £23
    Zwift (free monthly 25Km typically Apr-Oct, paid Nov-Mar) £13
    TV License £13
    Prime £7
    Strava (buy a year around Black Friday with 2 free extra months) £3.50
    Mobile BB (prepaid 25GB Three sim that’s valid for 24 months) £1.25
    Mobile PAYG (Three, gone up a lot from 3-2-1 to 10-10-5 this year) £1

So ~£65pcm.

Might try a turbo alternative (but races to help motivation sometimes rather than erg wrkouts), might look for a cheaper light use PAYG mobile package.

montgomery
    Free Member

Nudged by one of the earlier posts, I just went and joined the library where I am now. Crikey, talk about making energy savings – the place was heated to about 30c, I was drenched in sweat by the time I’d completed the registration procedure and got the hell out!

johnjn2000

Unfortunately we don’t have a huge amount to cut back on. The big drop we did a few years agho when I convinced the family we didn’t need a TV service (It was Virgin at the time) so we moved to Firesticks. I can’t take Spotify, Netflix and Amazon away from them, I will be a pariah.

@Daffy
    , how do you get a reduction on Spotify?

Anyone tried flitting between Netflix and Amazon Prime based on what you are watching month by month? That could give a saving of around £60 per year if you alternate?

chakaping
    Free Member

Sky TV & BB £39/m
    Prime (shared) £10/m?
    Trailforks £12/year?
    Strava – £56/year?
    Mobile sim only – £10/m

Nothing I particularly want to cut there, could live without Prime but it’s my part of a sharing deal.

andy5390

Anyone tried flitting between Netflix and Amazon Prime based on what you are watching month by month? That could give a saving of around £60 per year if you alternate?

That’s what I do. 1) It gives the other a chance to get new stuff, and 2) You sometimes get a discount offer to rejoin.

After ditching Sky last year (went up to £75 for basic + BB, they wouldn’t budge on price and didn’t ring back either), we’ve got Plusnet line + BB for £18.99 and Netflix or Prime for £8-ish.

Freesat connected to the old Sky dish after I swapped the LNB

Edit: 2X ID Mobile SIMs for £14 p/m 8+10 GB with unlimited minutes and texts

cynic-al
    Free Member

£13 TV licence, £20 BB, £10 mobile.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.