Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • your advice please.what food to buy with £4.40 to last me till next thursday?
  • racefaceec90

as above really. i am used to having to survive on a small amount,but really don’t fancy beans on toast for the next 4 days or so.i do have some food already that i reckon will last for the next 3-4 days.just interested in what you can buy cheap,but not dull to eat.thanks 🙂

wwaswas

Good time of year to be doing a bit scrumping etc.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Spend a bit less on video games 🙂

chugg08

Buy a Kazoo, a pen and piece of paper. Sit outside a train station looking sad and Kazooing “Always look on the bright side of life” In 10 mins you’ll have a fiver, 20mins a tenner.

I recommend a curry with a couple of Cobra’s

emsz
    Free Member

Find a Tesco that opens until late, go in about an hour before it shuts, buy reduced stock.

racefaceec90

deadlydarcy 😳

binners

Develop a smack habit. Fueled by theft and burglary like everyone else s. You won’t feel the need to eat then

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Beans on toast. 😆

RealMan
    Free Member

Buy a Kazoo, a pen and piece of paper. Sit outside a train station looking sad and Kazooing “Always look on the bright side of life” In 10 mins you’ll have a fiver, 20mins a tenner.

😆 What about a swanee whistle?

Restaurants, then do a runner.

crikey
    Free Member

Four hundred and four penny chews. That gives you 100 a day for 4 days, plus 4 left over to offer to guests when they pop round.

Jamie
    Free Member

yunki
    Free Member

Macdonalds

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

dhal and rice. v cheap. nutritious. tasty.

rkk01
    Free Member

Boiled rice – serve with TommyK (or sauce of your choice)

Other student memories come flooding back

Smash with tinned sardines
    White cabbage sandwiches

Sardines are good actually – loads of protein and cheap. I’ll still sometimes get lunch for <£1 from Sainsbury’s – small bagguette and tin of smelly fish

speaker2animals

If you honestly had only that much for so long I reckon you are going to do little better than a bag of rice and something to use as flavouring. Limited on protein I’d have thought, maybe a bag of frozen veggie mince, chilli powder and chinese 5 spice powder to alternate meal taste. I bet it would be hard too do though. I shall investigate.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/freegans-the-bin-scavengers-467108.html

Something like this.

Also a good time to get out in the countryside and find some blackberry bushes etc. Remember to only pick the ones that are above dog height though.

khani
    Free Member

Got a farm shop nearby? One near us has BIG bags of spuds for a quid, tins of beans for 10p, big bags of bacon misshapes for a quid and loads more, four and a bit quid could go a long way
    And metaphorically’ Stay away from the Bolivian spinach chocolate……..

donsimon
    Free Member

A big bag of lentils, stock cubes and a couple of onions…

speaker2animals

Crikey – since when has next Thursday been 4 days away? 62 penny chews a day with 6 left over for guests surely?

ericemel
    Free Member

Bean chilli is amazing and so cheap

Spagbog meat free

Chicken wings!

lunge

A big bag of rice is a good place to start, that will bulk up most things.

Next you need something to add some taste so cheap sardines are a good idea as are chillis.

Finally you need to make some kind of sauce. Over ripe tomato’s from the cheap aisle are a good, as is passatta (49p for 500ml in Aldi).

Then use whatever you have left to buy other flavours, again most likely picking off the reduced veg and meat.

Can you tell i’ve done this before?!?!

wwaswas

If you get yourself some amoebic disentry you’ll be able to survive on sugared & salted water.

sofatester
    Free Member

Develop a smack habit. Fueled by theft and burglary

You might even get a free house if you cry in court when your eventually caught 😉

crikey
    Free Member

Crikey – since when has next Thursday been 4 days away? 62 penny chews a day with 6 left over for guests surely?

Yes, you’re right, tired from riding, brain not engaged.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Five loaves of bread and a couple of fishes, perhaps?

joolsburger
    Free Member

4.40 you say.

Get some cheap mince couple of cans of tomatoes and one of beans make a base, have spag bol twice and chilli twice.

Jamie
    Free Member

Five loaves of bread and a couple of fishes, perhaps?

Have you seen the price of cod lately?

Dolcered

big bag of pasta, make your own sauce (onion, 2 cans of tomatoes, chillis optional)
    buy some tins of tuna
    and alternate.

boring but will see you through.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Tesco (other supermarkets exist) Value noodles.

About 8-10p a packet, carbs, protein and fat, available in plenty of flavours too.

Downside they take about 3 minutes to cook, so you eat a lot of them and get fat.

nonk
    Free Member

big bag of rice.
    big can of sweetcorn.
    some tins of sardines in tomato sauce.

a bag of porridge for breaky.

chugg08

4.40 you say.

Get some cheap mince couple of cans of tomatoes and one of beans make a base, have spag bol twice and chilli twice.

And fast for the other 2 days…

Salad cream sandwiches or rice and brown sauce, always a student favourite!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have you seen the price of cod lately?

That would be an ecumenical matter, surely?

Cougar

Right you are there, father.

uplink
    Free Member

10p bargains at your local Asda etc. 30mins before they close

Failing that, I may have a tip for the GGs for tomorrow

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Food bank?

No, not looking at food in the supermarket then going home think about it later, alone, in the dark,………..

enveetee
    Free Member

1 tin tomatoes 33p
    1 tin tuna in brine – 75P?
    1 large onion – 10P
    Chop and fry up in a little oil

150 grams spaghetti (wholemeal is nice) – boil for 5 mins

Scoff – Sh*t

Repeat for 4 days

Or go to McDonnalds 5mins before closing and beg

EyeThangEwe

wwaswas

why is everyone only suggesting the OP eats every other day for the next week?

Bunnyhop

I’d buy loads of fresh veg from the greengrocer. Make several pans of soup, each soup having a potato base and different veggies to make different flavours. Freeze and that should keep you filled up for a few days.

Cougar

why is everyone only suggesting the OP eats every other day for the next week?

Because he said Thursday was four days away.

A big bag of oats would sort you out a week’s filling slow-release carb breakfasts.

woody2000

Does he mean next Tuesday or Thursday? Not clear in the OP really.

If it was me it’d be beans on toast, value noodles and porridge.

4 cans of tesco value lager if I had owt left 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘your advice please.what food to buy with £4.40 to last me till next thursday?’ is closed to new replies.