Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • PSA: 2010 El Gallo Freeride / AM MTB Bike Rear Hub £8 posted on ebay!
  • mbydmt
    Free Member

Hi guys,

I’m trying to build up a Cove Stiffee at the moment and after a rear wheel, I found this hub on ebay, brand new from ‘wheelies’ for £8 posted.
    Sealed bearings, seems too good to be true!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300448969763&var=600002836304&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Hope this doesn’t breach forum rules.
    I have no connection to the above seller, just bought one and thought I’d pass on the link as it’s great value!

Vortexracing

just bought one

cheers for that. At that price it’s not worth not buying.

mbydmt
    Free Member

I had a think about it and bought another, going to build up a light rear wheel and heavy duty one now, it’ll still end up the same price as I was going to spend on just one wheel, considering one of their ‘el gallo’ rims.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

456g how do they manage to make it so heavy

mbydmt
    Free Member

By making it so cheap?? I think it’s a rebranded halo spin doctor (within 10g weight wise)

julianwilson
    Free Member

these ‘ere pedals look rather a lot like ssc nanos / nukeproof/answer/wah wahs but for £23 too. Bargain!

mbydmt
    Free Member

So tempting. Must resist after buying nukeproof protons for more 🙁

nick1962
    Free Member

+1 for the pedals.Had a pair for a year now and going strong without any fettling.

mbydmt
    Free Member

Gave in and bought the pedals. A mate said he’ll have them off me if I regret the choice so it’s all good!

slugwash
    Free Member

So I got one of these hubs. Nice smooth bearings, very audible freewheel, a bit of a bargain for £7.99.
    A spot of light googling seems to confirm mbydmt’s above ^^^ assertion that it is (or the internals are identical to) a rebranded Halo Spindoctor.

I’ve done the hub dimension measurements for the wheel build and just wanted to see, before I buy the spokes, if they tallied with anyone elses results. Anyone else got the calipers/ruler out yet?

mbydmt
    Free Member

Hi Slugwash,
    Likewise done some calculations. I used EDD Spoke Calculator Came up with right flange diameter; 52 (centre top hole to bottom centre hole), left flange diameter 58mm.
    Centre 2 right 15mm, Centre 2 left 40mm, spoke hole diameter 2.6mm.
    With a Mavid 721 Rim that gave me a left hand spoke length of 259.3 and a right hand spoke length of 257.6.
    I ordered 32 halo PG spokes from Winstaleys for £8, will be building the wheel up on Tuesday.

This was for the 32h, Chrome finish hub. And yes very similar to a spindr but different in that the freehub has no allen key slot amongst a few other things, but essentially a very very similar hub.
    Sure it’ll build up nicely into a cheap wheel (will come in at £33 for a new hub, new spokes, used Mavic 721 Rim!)

slugwash
    Free Member

Likewise done some calculations…… right flange diameter; 52 centre top hole to bottom centre hole

Doh! I’m glad I posted my (inaccurate) measurements up before buying the spokes. I’ve only gone and measured the flange diameter from the edges of the flanges and not the centres of the spoke holes. What a complete fookin’ moron 😉

Right, where’s that bloomin’ hub and my steel ruler?

slugwash
    Free Member

Right mbydmt, I’ve remeasured the hub and run the amended dimensions through three different spoke calculators for an average and ordered the spokes from Winstanleys. I made my new diameters 58/L & 54/R but I cross referenced your Mavic rim ERD (532) with my measurements and got similar spoke lengths to you.

I presume that your C2R & C2L measurements are typos ??

I’m a using WTB Laser Trail rim (ERD 535) if anybody is remotely interested 😉

RustyMac

Putting that into the spoke calculator i used last time i get 257.2 for LHS on a 3x pattern and 259.7 RHS for a 3x pattern 258 and 260 are common sizes and should work ok I THINK 😉

mbydmt
    Free Member

Slugwash, C2r/C2l were what I measured using measurements shown here . But yes Same as Rusty Mac, 3x patten I’ve got 16 x 260 for the LH side, 16 x 258 for the RH side.
    Glad we’re all working it through, hopefully getting there ;).
    And don’t worry I also measured the whole flage diameter initially and got similar measurements so thought you’d done that!

cheez0
    Free Member

I got a couple but had been watching them for ages.. couldnt believe my luck when he dropped them to £8!

Thanks for the info for hub measurements, I’m thinking of building mine up with a EN521 rim

mbydmt
    Free Member

Please don’t use my centre to R/L measurements, i’m a muppit, ordered spokes – they’re too short.
    DOH!

slugwash
    Free Member

mbydmt shortly after the post arrived….. 😉

I got my spokes today. I’ll lace up the wheel tomorrow lunchtime. Hopefully all will be well. I’ve already had a front wheel disaster ‘cos I took the manufacturer’s website ERD info as gospel.(WTB said LaserDisc Trail rim ERD was 542. It was actualy 535)

mbydmt
    Free Member

Just used the same website as you used slugwash, with your hub measurements, just different flange diameters. Can use half the spokes I ordered, time to get onto winstanleys again for the other 16.
    Oh and I wish I could make wheels as round as the above 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘PSA: 2010 El Gallo Freeride / AM MTB Bike Rear Hub £8 posted on ebay!’ is closed to new replies.