Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Young people and American accents
  • peajay

Back when we had Sky tv my daughters started to pic up an American twang so I blocked the Disney Channel and things got better, now we don’t have Sky, and my kids have normal highland accents now, just as it should be,
    PJ.

69er
    Free Member

My son’s girlfriend says ‘like’ in every sentence. Makes me want to punch her in the face. Grumpy old man? Me? 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

My daughters don’t have American accents despite having an American mother. I was slightly surprised by that.

neilthewheel

Am I the only one who’s noticed a bizarre shift in the way some people pounce their vowels? Instead of saying “oh no,” they say “ay nay!” Dr Alice Roberts on the telly does it. She goes on about “Heeman evoleetion”.

portlyone

I get disproportionately annoyed at people using ass instead of arse.

portlyone

The ‘ay nay’ thing might be a result of watching South Park

thomthumb
    Free Member

my niece (is 3) and say och no in a thick scottish accent, whilst definitely coming from surrey.

I think it came from the gruffalo. makes me laugh every time.

grum
    Free Member

Bloody Scottish cultural imperialism. 👿

julianwilson
    Free Member

I am brought to thinking of the Editor of Sugar Ape magazine in Nathan Barley, who had a question mark added to his name by deed poll, thus becoming “Jonatton Yeah?”.

underthethumb
    Free Member

Eldest daughter has her American accent when at [her American] school or with American friends. When at home with us she reverts back to her native Northern Irish accent

And to top it off all her friends/teachers etc want her to speak in her own accent as they say it sounds cool

Kids and fitting in??

grum
    Free Member

And another grumpy old man thing – why do lots of young lads think it’s cool to constantly have their hands down the front of their pants? How did that become fashionable?

chewkw
    Free Member

grum – Member

And another grumpy old man thing – why do lots of young lads think it’s cool to constantly have their hands down the front of their pants? How did that become fashionable?

I think MJ copied that from some feral “cool” rap culture then mass reproduced it on the stage by inflicting permanent damage on the younger unimaginative generations with crab like walk. 🙄

matt_outandabout

Dr Alice Roberts

*has a moment*

Kunstler

ken, I literally walked in an’ he wiz like, ken wit, nah, dinnae bother, like.

I think I saw you dancing the conga on Leith Walk last night.

It’s not uncommon for people with autism to adopt an American accent. Not just pick up a bit of influence but to become completely convincing with it despite never had any direct contact with an American. Sometimes it’s other accents but predominately American.

Young people make the language fresh and ever-changing.

Some old people object. Everything will change.

stufive
    Free Member

My daughter and her cousins always seem to put on an american accent when theire playing, comes from whatching tv

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Young people and American accents’ is closed to new replies.