Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Yeti SB120: First Ride Review
  • Ben_Haworth

Yeti might not say the D word in its description of the new Yeti SB120 but this is clearly a Down Country bike.

By ben_haworth

Get the full story on our front page at:

Yeti SB120: First Ride Review

We need your support – Find out how you can help by clicking the link below.

ayjaydoubleyou

The top tube slopes too much (and the seat mast means it isn’t done to acheive more seat post drop) meaning its not 90 degrees to the fork; giving the impression that it has run into a wall.
    That said, its right on trend, has the cables in the right place and threads in the BB, so if I was given the money, it would be on the short list.

butterbean
    Free Member

What even is it? It’s not an XC bike as it weighs nearly was much as some 140/150mm trail bikes, and its clearly not one of them, as they appear to have made it with geometry from 3 years ago.

I can’t think of any reason why anyone would buy it over 5 or 6 other better options in that segment. Unless people love spending money on bikes guaranteed to fall apart & leave you with f*ck all support 😆

ayjaydoubleyou

I can’t think of any reason why anyone would buy it over 5 or 6 other better options in that segment.

pricing aside, what are its competitors?

butterbean
    Free Member

Just thinking out loud:

Rocky Element, Transition Spur, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Norco Optic, Trek Top Fuel, Spec Stumpjumper, Nukeproof Reactor, Scott Spark, Evil Following, YT Izzo – thats just what I can think of, off the top of my head.

Kryton57

Eight, thousand, pounds!!!!

Rubber_Buccaneer

What even is it? It’s not an XC bike as it weighs nearly was much as some 140/150mm trail bikes, and its clearly not one of them, as they appear to have made it with geometry from 3 years ago.

Sums up my initial thoughts. If downcountry is XC weight with contemporary geometry Yeti appear to have it arse about face. Is this the worlds first countrydown bike?

continuity
    Free Member

@rubber_buccaneer

I think you’ll find the term is crosshill. Which, in some ways, accurately describes this bike.

dyna-ti

Yet another bestest ever bike. Just how many configurations are there out there.

slackboy

The pricing has gone a bit wild. US RRP for the frame is $4,300 USD, so likely by the same in £. The sb115 was £3400 so that’s a hefty increase.

Thanks inflation and trussonomics.

stevedoc
    Free Member

At that price I can see the cost of Fillings going up….

I really cant see the point in the over the Sb130 and even more so with the sb115

charliemort

If it was an SB 123 I’d be in

Speeder

Nice looking bike but it’s a Yeti with all the daft suspension platform, image and warranty issues associated. I’m out before I even consider whether I could afford one.

Daffy

It does seem disappointingly heavy – even in the $12000 T4, it’s 28lbs. A Scott Spark RC Team is almost half the price and almost 3lbs lighter…An RC WC Evo is £1000 cheaper and 5lbs lighter.

Maybe it rides sublimely…?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

A Scott Spark RC Team is almost half the price and almost 3lbs lighter…

and also a completely different type of bike?

desperatebicycle

Stop going on about weight! Weight doesn’t matter anymore. Bikes are more capable, people ride more XTREME.
    That’s what I keep getting told anyway. Dunno why manufacturers even bother mentioning it.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

interested to see the new 29er 140mm more likely a great all round trail bike – theyve finally actually got me interested – the geo looks great and all the neat little updates are spot on – downside is now they are absolutely astronomically priced – frame only doesnt represent any value at all at around £4300?! – guess its time to stop swapping out frames every year and perhaps just buy one and hold on to it for a good number of years/till it cracks 😉

honourablegeorge

Yeti generally have that last part covered

chakaping
    Free Member

I was gonna take issue with the “it’s not a trail bike” in the review, then I saw it had a 66.5deg head angle. So if it is a trail bike, it’s one from 2017.

So this is one bike that actually does seem to fit the “downcountry” template.

Rocky Element, Transition Spur, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Norco Optic, Trek Top Fuel, Spec Stumpjumper, Nukeproof Reactor, Scott Spark, Evil Following, YT Izzo – thats just what I can think of, off the top of my head.

I’d rather have any of those. Apart from the Evil.

Daffy

and also a completely different type of bike?

Not really – their geometry is remarkably similar and their suspension travel is identical. Only the seat tube angle and the wheelbase really separate them. Oh and you can run a longer dropper on the Spark.

joebristol

Over £8k and it’s got a downgraded crank (to x1), downgraded cassette (GX), downgraded chain (GX) downgraded shifter (GX) and mid range alloy rimmed wheels.

Also got meh geometry and is quite heavy for the price / it’s intention. Plus that stupid switch infinity thing down by the bb where all the mud and grit is doesn’t make sense in the uk.

I’m guessing the sb140 is likely to be a better bike. Will still be extortionately expensive – but then it’s not aimed at me – I’m more in the alloy frame with decent geometry camp, mid range drivetrain, strong brakes and top notch suspension. And half the price of a yeti.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.