Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Year round garden office ….. insulation and heating
  • letmetalktomark

Spitballing some ideas regarding moving our home office outside to make better use of the current space.

Not looking for it to be huge and it would be self built but would need to be year round habitable. Probably looking at 8×8’.

Soooooooo I guess moar insulation is moar betterer but where to start. Off the peg options don’t seem to offer a huge amount of insulation ….. so where to start?

As much as I would like to entertain having another stove something electric seems to tick a lot of boxes as could be set to come on and be warm before heading in.

Soooooo any recommendations/suggestions?

Also any suggestions for help drawing up plans to help work out material needs?

simon_g

Look up Ali Dymock on youtube (or http://www.alidymock.com/ ), he did an excellent series on doing his, and goes into a lot of details on insulation, U values, electrics and the like. He’s good at explaining all the decisions and his thought process on doing it the way he did.

I’ve got me one of these in mine

WiFi heater

It heats the room (10×10) up really quickly on cool days, but not tried it in winter yet. Likewise, I don’t know how well the room will hold heat in winter. It’s double glazed, 46mm thick wooden walls with an insulated floor and roof. Hoping to keep the damp out, as I’ve got a computer and printer in there.

As for the heater – it was a little bit of a faff to get on the network, but got there in the end. I can turn it on with my phone, or telling Alexa and I have scheduled tasks (on the phone app) for it to come on for an hour every three hours. These are easily turned on and off if you think it’s too warm to justify it.

Looks better in the flesh than in the pics, probably much better ones for much more £££

gray

Until recently I had a log cabin as a home office. That had celotex in the floor and ceiling, 44 mm timber walls and double glazing. I used a standard wheelie electric oil filled radiator either on a timer or later on a WiFi plug. It was toasty warm even with snow on the roof. Took a couple of hours to warm through, but was fine. Adding more insulation would have saved on heating costs but not made it any more comfy. I only used it one day per week, so it wouldn’t have been worth it to go crazy on insulation to save on electricity. Mine was 4m x 3m so a smaller one will be fine – just a matter of weighing up financial and environmental cost of celotex against electricity to heat it I guess!

Sui
    Free Member

I had a delonghi bambino heat a 32m2 cabin year through on tick over, was plenty. Important bit is about heat retention and drafts. Loads of us on here ha e now built stuff. Mine was a timber cabin, OSB external wall,infill the timber with 90mm celotex (or other) then on the Inside I also used insulated backed plasterboard, about 40mm total if I remember right, then skimmed over.. However I think one of the big differences was tightly wrapping the whole cabin and stapling it down everywhere, before adding some feather wadge. Roof had 100mm celotex with OSB on top then felted..

sargey

Construct the building out of sips panels,floor walls and roof,then clad it with rain screen of your choice.
    Warm in the winter cool in the summer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Year round garden office ….. insulation and heating’ is closed to new replies.