Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Yay. eBay (but more of a legality type) question!
  • bearnecessities

Hands up that this is an ebay sin, buying something and then asking to cancel the next day , so I expect a flaming from some but would appreciate a bit of informed advice (if there’s any on offer) because I can’t find it! In no disagreement that I’ve screwed up, but never done this before in 16 years of using eBay.

Full disclosure ahead:

Sofa – local collection only – asked seller a few questions, quick responses (a few holes in the story but 100% feedback so dusted asie) and seller said could deliver for £20. Ace.

Place minimum bid, won. Yay. Paid immediately by paypal. Sent details of my new acquisition to the missus.

Not happy. She thinks it’s a knackered, needs fumigating and upon closer inspection it is a bit tired but not horrific. It’s a £2k+ sofa for £100, but anyhow. She’s not happy so, harmony and all that (we don’t live together btw)

Next morning, apologetic message to seller. Very sorry/stupid thing/can I cancel/I’m a ****. Considered ‘keep £20 for the hassle’, but decided against at that point as might seem a bit scammy.

No response until later that day asking for a reason with a jolly “maybe we can find a solution!”.

All good. Wrote back, thank you etc, but missus and I have different views on condition – totally my fault again, but there’s no way around.

And that was three days ago. Nothing since. Message yesterday just to prompt and nothing back, so won’t be bothering again as it gets a bit degrading for £100 and unless there’s been some life event, they would have got back to me by now.

So, am I actually ****ed and they can just keep my money? Ebay isn’t clear apart from I can’t cancel – morally I’m not a fan and can’t imagine doing this to someone, even if they had been a bit of a ****, but legally can they just keep my money now?

Well done if you read to the end of that and thanks for anything other than “I hate buyers like you” 🙂

maccruiskeen

So, am I actually ****ed and they can just keep my money?

Ebay’s resolution to disputes tends to revolve around tracking numbers and therefore easily verifiable proof of dispatch and receipt. It shouldn’t be difficult for you to convince eBay / PayPal to refund if the seller themselves isn’t forthcoming as the seller can’t prove that you have the sofa – and in fact there’s correspondence to refer to confirming just that

oceanskipper

My guess is that if the seller doesn’t agree to cancel then you will need to honour the transaction…

How buyers can cancel an order | eBay

desperatebicycle

If it’s as described by the seller, it’s yours.
    If it’s not as described, then you have grounds for a dispute.
    Simple.
    If the first option, then you have no choice but to either ditch it and lose the dosh or sell it on.
    It’s ebay so not the seller’s responsibility if you’ve just made a mistake. Well, unless they have “Returns accepted” on the auction – then you just have to thrash it out with the seller.

bearnecessities

Well, unless they have “Returns accepted” on the auction

Well that’s an interesting point, it does.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just wait for the invoice for them having to store your sofa.

And to be fair on the seller, this is exactly why I still let buyers use PayPal rather than cash on collection unless they’re turning up within hours.

bearnecessities

Just wait for the invoice for them having to store your sofa.

And to be fair on the seller, this is exactly why I still let buyers use PayPal rather than cash on collection unless they’re turning up within hours.

Nicely done. You’ve actually suggested the seller now starts to charge me more, rather than just keeping my money.

Fair play, never expected that.

woody2000

Take delivery of it then dump it in the derelict pink house next door 🙃

bearnecessities

😀

It shouldn’t be difficult for you to convince eBay / PayPal to refund if the seller themselves isn’t forthcoming as the seller can’t prove that you have the sofa – and in fact there’s correspondence to refer to confirming just that

Just to bring a conclusion, Maccruiskeen nailed it – thanks. Managed to get through to eBay eventually (not as easy as it used to be btw – you have to use the automated chat first and go through the motions before getting a number) – Messages read, only important fact apparently was that I didn’t have it so refund sorted. Still feel guilty, but not enough to forgo £100.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Yay. eBay (but more of a legality type) question!’ is closed to new replies.