• This topic has 20 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by akira.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • XC racing how much stuff do people carry.
  • akira

Always feel like I take too much, got Gorrick three hour race tomorrow and probably do camelbak with multiple, pump, tube, tyre lever and some food. Camelbak means I drink more bit overall it feels like a bit much stuff to heave about. I could just use a bottle and stuff some food into a pocket but I’d need to grab extra bottle after a lap or so. What do most people take?

DrP

On the bike/me I’ll have:
    One water bottle
    SPare tube and levers (strapped under seat)
    CO2 inflator
    Inhaler (don’t mix the two….)
    A gel

I’ll take a folding table for the feed zone. I’ll put on it several other bottles (energy drink or water) and some more gels. And a banana. And little Allen key set thing.

You’re taking too much on you. Take less….
    You’ll be coming back to base every 30-50 minutes!

I’ll take a camel back for an all dayer

DrP

simondbarnes

A waterbottle and a gel for me.

mccraque

I bought a little evoc 3l pack for racing. Holds 2l bladder and a tube, small pump, air canister and my car keys!

I find it easier drinking from a tube than fiddling around for my bottle.

They’re Perfect for the brass monkeys. Good luck!

njee20
    Free Member

DrP +1, but without the inhaler.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Depends how long the lap is, but for a 3hr event on a relatively short lap it’d be a bottle and a gel only.  And grab a replacement once an hour.

For a longer lap add a set of tyre levers, spare tube and CO2 inflater in jersey pocket to avoid a long walk back to the pits.

Would certainly never even consider a camelback on a lapped event.

DrP

Njee20….

TUE in the post… 😉

DrP

akira

The slight issue is the fact that it’s on a fatbike so tubes are massive and co2 doesn’t fill up a tyre. Tubeless so I would be unlikely to get a puncture though. Might try less stuff and a table.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Co2, spare tube, multi tool, levers, gels, bottle for 2hr race.

Add small camelbak & bars for a marathon, maybe some warm kit if the weather & location requires.

Kryton57

Also Drp +1 but only a pre race inhaler form me.

I have a tube strapped to my seat post so I use a pick up and go bundle of road tube, levers, gas, and quick link all in a rubber band. I can grab it and it goes in centre pocket for any ride.

I also have a lightweight multi tool and gels.

Where’s the pits tomorrow – need to stick my name on a bottle…?

padkinson
    Free Member

I’m going to see if I can get hold of a fold up table tomorrow morning before the race, at the first Brass Monkey I spent ages muddling around with the bottles I’d dumped on the floor. Cheers DrP!

I always take a multi tool, had too many easily fixable mechanicals in races not to, a quick link and chain tool, and a Co2 cartridge. Never a tube, by the time you’ve replaced a tube in a short XC race you’ll be in last.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Ive not raced for a couple of years but for 45-60 min laps used to use one bottle one gel taped to top tube and a Hutchinson foam/co2 canister taped to the seat post.

akira

Got box of random spares, might put bottles on top of that. No idea where pits are, had nearly 40 degrees temp on Fri night so if I manage to turn up and ride round I’ll be happy.

ferrals
    Free Member

Fold up table is a great idea! The only time I had a spare bottle it got knocked over an rolled away from where I’d put it

In terms of repairs, tube wrapped around a little lenzyne tool that has chain breaker, couple of tyre levers and a co2 inflator, all strapped to seat using a backcountry research race strap (v useful little strap).

food wise, 1 750ml bottle (high 5 zero) and 3 gels for a standard 1.5 hr race. Never raced three hrs, the one bottle would prob do as I usually never finish a bottle racing, would be tempted to have some kind of more solid food like an energy bar for half way round…l

DrP

Come find me this morning (shitty octavia with superb Ti single speed on the roof!) And you can use my fold up table if you want??

Really does make a difference!!
    I used to cramp up bending down to pick up bottles!!

DrP

chilled76
    Free Member

Similar but I have 14 salbutamol inhalers with me. 1 per lap. Have to be careful not to go over the UCI limit though.

DrP

🙂

Another TUE in the post..
    PP gift to dodgydoctor@f-uGMC.com

Ta

DrP

akira

Seeing how body feels this morning, any idea when registration closes? Racing at 1020 in theory.

weeksy

Good luck to all. I’m quite envious today!

njee20
    Free Member

Another TUE in the post..

PP gift to dodgydoctor@f-uGMC.com

😆 knew that knowing a real doctor would come in handy!

akira

Well skipping the race as still not back to normal after bug on Friday, hope everyone had fun.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘XC racing how much stuff do people carry.’ is closed to new replies.