Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • XC+ full-sus new bike time
  • olddog

I’m thinking I need a new bike. Currently I ride pretty exclusively a carbon XC hardtail which is fantastically efficient (ie stiff) but is ruining my already knackered back. Anything over 3 hours and I’m ****. Was thinking going short travel full sus to give me a bit relief on the spine but not lose too much in the mile eating and uphill departments. I’ve got a 150 travel full Susser but it’s too much for most of my riding

Been thinking Whyte S120, Orange Stage 4 or SC Tallboy What are my other options up to £3.5kish and any real world experiences. My riding is mainly natural stuff, West/North Yorks.

mccraque

Scott Spark
    Specialized Epic Evo
    Trek Top Fuel
    Orbea Oiz

I keep having the same conversations and wondering whether to get one for marathon events… so will be watching this thread with interest!

footflaps

Scott Spark, awesome bike.

Here is mine…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dfkvck]My Steed, Scott Spark RC[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

devash
    Free Member

The new (2019/2020) non-RC model Scott Spark is fantastic as an all-rounder – definitely an XC bike but with more than a nod to trail riding. Similar to a SC Blur but slightly slacker. That’d be where I’d put my money. Loads of options from basic alloy models right up to spendy carbon models. If you want pure XC race and steeper angles get one of the RC models.

Within your budget you could have a carbon frame, Fox suspension and dropper, plus 1×12 gearing e.g. https://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/490/products/scott-spark-920–2019-mountain-bike.aspx

steve_b77
    Free Member

Maybe a KTM Scarp MT could tickle your fancy? 120mm up front, 115mm rear, carbon frame, 1×12 shimano gearing, DT swiss wheels

mrlebowski
    Free Member

In true STW style I’m recommending what I ride: Intense Sniper.

MrPottatoHead

I keep eyeing up the 2019 Scott Sparks at Pedalon which still have 30% discount. I can’t justify a new bike, but I really really want one! Watching XCO this year has made me want to get back into mtb again after a few years in a gravel bike wilderness.

Kryton57

I keep eyeing up the 2019 Scott Sparks at Pedalon

I bought my Spark from them with that deal 18 months ago, and prior 2 other bikes.  They are a pleasure to deal with.

Even the RC is very excellent, just choose whether your priority is Race/Trail or Trail/Race and get the RC or Non RC accordingly.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

The intense sniper is definitely worth a look. I spent alot of time looking at options, and decided that this ticked all the boxes, light, good price, and most importantly good geometry.

I’ve had mine for a couple of months, and it is a brilliant bike. The new ns synonym looks very good too, but costs a bit more.

martinhutch

In true STW style:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gpM9Mu]IMG_20190702_210951[/url] by hutchinson2017, on Flickr

Orbea Oiz Tr (120mm travel)

Can handle all my local (Dales) trails, and most of what I ride in the Lakes.

moshimonster
    Free Member

A Canyon Lux would be at the XC racy end of what you are looking at. I’ve just picked up a Canyon Neuron CF which is more trail biased. Very impressed so far and great value builds. Like you I’ve got a longer travel full suss trail bike, which is definitely sluggish compared to the Neuron.

stormy
    Free Member

I went from Giant xtc 29r & Lynskey Pro to Turner Czar and I love it. Only regret it not to fit 120mm rather than 100mm forks as it would make even more capable with no weight penalty

olddog

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m going to have to do some googling and see which dealers have got what as I like to at least chuck a leg overbefoee I buy

I’m 6 3 so pretty much always an XL, but I do like to have a go on a L too just in case.

olddog

Dickie – cheers – those are some serious bikes for the money. I’ll defo have a pop up and see if I can squeeze onto a large.

DT78
    Free Member

I have a spark pro from Westbrook. I’m 5 11 on a large

lucien

Managed to bag one of the RC 900’s from Westbrook Cycles.  It’s got set Ardent Race tyres which are fine for local trails.  Been looking at something a bit chunkier for general trail centre type riding – any one got experience of tyre clearance on the rear and what tyres are you running? The Ardent race is a 2.35 and not much clearance….

Kryton57

Barzo/Mezcal or Barzo/Barzo all 2.25 in the current conditions.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Barzo all year round for me.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘XC+ full-sus new bike time’ is closed to new replies.