Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Xbox questions
  • scuttler

Re early setup, SOOOOOO sorry this mentions the C-word and the C in the video is wearing a C jumper but hey-ho (-ho-ho-ho)

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/xbox-live-for-the-kids-what-do-i-need-to-know/#post-10395690

DrP

Get Rocket League..it’s great!

You can control the xbox console via the app on your phone… I frequently use it to turn the xbox off once ‘his’ time is up.
    Now i’ve Stuck a smart plug on the tv and xbox, so i can tell Alexa to turn off the TV, then the Xbox….
    Basically, online games can’t be paused, and the “I’ll just play this next level/match” BS wears thin!!!

THey are fun though… I liked the latest Wolfenstein..got a bit bored of Forza Horizon….

DrP

scuttler

Basically, online games can’t be paused, and the “I’ll just play this next level/match” BS wears thin!!!

Amen brother. Amen to the Screentime function (USE IT PEOPLE!). And amen to Rocket League.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

So screentime then …. how much are yours getting a day? An hour ? 2 ? More?

Do you use it as a bargaining tool? Giving more for good behaviour or reducing when they have been a royal pain ??

perchypanther
    Free Member

11 year old gets 6pm to 9:30 during the week.

14 year old now unrestricted as he is able to regulate his own usage.

Do you use it as a bargaining tool? Giving more for good behaviour or reducing when they have been a royal pain ??

Usually the threat is enough.

I’ll cut them off for unacceptable behavior  or if they need to be doing something else i.e until they’ve finished homework or dinner is ready and they’re “halfway through a game”

scuttler

Screentime varies based on attitude but is definitely used as a bargaining chip.

10 year old – Usually an hour Mon-Thu (not always used) and couple of hours Fri-Sun, more if we’re having a lounge around day or his mates are around and sharing the gaming.

Cougar

i can tell Alexa to turn off the TV, then the Xbox….

I can’t imagine that regularly ripping the power out of something with a hard drive inside is going to do it a great deal of good over time.

boomerlives
    Free Member

If they renewed something automatically you must have selected it as an option.

*Sigh*

I’ll leave it to the smug self righteous Microsoft licking shut-in’s who can’t be arsed to understand my comments but have a supercilious put down ready to launch anyway experts then

Ro5ey
    Free Member

OK …. So the updates didn’t take too long, but me faffing with usernames, new email account names, passwords, more passwords and then pin numbers seemed overly complicated… But then I am rubbish at that increasingly important life skill, I really must try harder and not rush.

Think I’m about halfway there … Mine and his users profiles set up and have sorted his age rating but have yet to set screen time or in game/app purchases, at least I dont think I have.

Half way there on the phone app, as well, need to link up his account to it.

Updated Lego Avengers but Rocket League was taking ages and I had to leave, so cancelled it and packed away. Will have another go tomorrow evening.

scruff
    Free Member

Depending on the child settings you may need to go into (child account) custom settings on the Xbox so he can use a mic to talk, get messages from friends etc.

bodgy
    Free Member

Have you considered the Nintendo Switch? There’s not very many split screen games for the 6/7 age range on XBoX 1 (and I have both the 7yr old and the Xbox.).

Rocket League is a must have, btw.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Just set purchasing limit via the microsoft web site, while here in work, and also did screen time.

Got a question about that please.

Say he’s used his 2 hours up, what’s to stop him then changing users and playing as me ? I realise his progress in a certain game will be different under my user profile and that may stop him, but can I set up a pin/password that has to be entered before anyone can use my profile ?

bensales
    Free Member

Yes, set pins (passkey Xbox call them) on all profiles, and also disable the Guest profile so nobody can use the Xbox without logging in on a given profile.

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/my-account/security/create-xbox-one-passkey

Cougar

can I set up a pin/password that has to be entered before anyone can use my profile ?

Yes. There’s various sign-in options.

what’s to stop him then changing users and playing as me ?

Moreover, what’s to stop him then changing users and emptying your bank account on FIFA players and shirts? Get your account protected, man!

squirrelking
    Free Member

I think a lot of it stems from a belief that modern gaming is antisocial. It’s the opposite. For me as an adult it’s sometimes the only chance I get to catch up with mates who no longer live round the corner.

Sad but true.

Have you considered the Nintendo Switch? There’s not very many split screen games for the 6/7 age range on XBoX 1

Really? Human Fall Flat, Overcooked, Lovers In A Dangerous Spacetime, Death Squared and probably loads more I don’t have. Not sure if you would approve of Portal 2 for that age bracket but that’s another one that could be a contender. Oh and all the old retro game packs like Rare Replay (Banjo Kazooie etc). Don’t get me wrong, the Switch is awesome but it’s really a whole category on its own.

*Sigh*

I’ll leave it to the smug self righteous Microsoft licking shut-in’s who can’t be arsed to understand my comments but have a supercilious put down ready to launch anyway experts then

Wow, where’s the need?

You said not to give credit card details because of continuous payment authority. There is no good reason not to for the reason that I gave. I understood your comment completely, I just disagreed with your reasoning. If you have nothing nice to say then how about you go relax with a nice hot cup of STFU.

GeForceJunky
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Xbox questions’ is closed to new replies.