Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • X9 rear mech with 10 speed?
  • johnellison
    Free Member

I’m toying with the idea of going 1×10 – I currently have a 2 x 9 setup with an X9 rear mech.

My plan is to get an 11-36 cassette, 10 speed chain and rear shifter, and strip off all the unneccesary bits and bobs.

Question is – will my 9 speed X9 rear mech have enough adjustment for 10 gears, or am I going to need a new rear mech as well??

Rich
    Free Member

Apparently a Sram 9 speed rear mech will work with a Shimano 10 speed shifter.

Haven’t tried it myself yet, but I will when I need to replace drivetrain.

njee20
    Free Member

Really? I’m not convinced by that.

9/10 speed SRAM isn’t interchangeable, so new mech required.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes they are not daft the bastards make sure you need to change everything or else why bring out a new “standard” ?
    Its to maximise their profits whilst marketing tells you how much better it will be

Rich
    Free Member

I have read a couple of people say it works, due to having the same cable pull, but can’t vouch for it personally.

Can’t hurt to try before buying a mech anyway.

steveh

9/10 sram are interchangable in some ways certainly. My mate has a 10 speed sram clutch mech on his dh bike and it’s working perfectly with his 9 speed shifter. I suspect your mech will be fine with the 10 speed sram shifter and nothing to lose by trying it.

johnellison
    Free Member

Rich, I doubt very much that the Shimano shifter will work with the SRAM mech – they have different cable pull ratios, SRAM is 1:1 where Shimano is 1:2. But that’s not what I’m asking, I’m asking if the X9 mech will have enough adjustment to work with a 10-speed cassette and SRAM 10-speed shifter.

Junkyard
    Free Member

IT will have enough adjustment as a 10 speed cassette is as wide as a 9 speed cassette [ or you would need a new hub] – tbh i have used a 7 speed mech on 9 speed.

the issue is what the pull ratio is- ie linkage may mean that 1 cm of ull moves the 10 speed less than the 9 speed

I cannot answer your question – but it does have enough movement to cope

njee20
    Free Member

Shimano have changed their pull ratios with Dynasis so it’s closer to SRAM. Still be surprised if its truly interchangeable without bodging though!

Rich
    Free Member

It will have enough range, but that was never going to be an issue.

That’s the thing though, Shimano 10 speed isn’t a 2:1 pull ratio.

Edit: Check out first comment here.

proflexforever
    Free Member

i would go for a 10 speed X7 short cage mech….theres not a lot of difference between X7 and X9 as far as im aware other than 20grams and about £30….

although im sure everyone will jump down my throat and prove me wrong with that statement….lol

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘X9 rear mech with 10 speed?’ is closed to new replies.