Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Wrong tool for the job?
  • tabletop2
    Free Member

Prior to Covid ‘mountain biking’ was the only form of cycling I ever did for enjoyment and have a big squishy bike which is the perfect tool for the job and was out about 3 times a week.

However, I also have one of those steel singlespeed ‘track’ bikes that were real trendy in about 2010 with hipsters which I commute on. However, I’ve started pulling it out for some quick road rides as I’m not able to do my other social activities and turns out there is too much mtb if its the only sport your doing. It’s good fun on short full effort blasts but would really want some proper gears for full day road activities.

I enjoy the excercise but not the biggest fan of roads and theres loads of gravel/dirt/easy-mtb-trail-but-too-much-road-in-between-to-bother-doing/back roads where the mtb would be way overkill which I’d love to explore. However, It has 23cc tires…. Will fit up to 32cc – is it as simple as smashing some on there or will be geomotry be awful for it and it would be a waste of money? Some times the wrong tool for the job can be fun but maybe this would be a step too far

honourablegeorge

I have a steel singkespeed with 48:16 gearing and 32c tyres and I did some of what you describe, its fun on the fkat but anything remotely technical or steep and it was a struggle. If its just until lockdown is over and terrain is flat, go for it. I ended up with a gravel bike.

oldnpastit

I would think a track bike won’t have clearance for 32c tyres. Even 25mm might be a bit much.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I would think a track bike won’t have clearance for 32c tyres. Even 25mm might be a bit much.

Most “track bikes” bought in 2010 werent track bikes.

@kerley
    is your man for this.

It’ll be ace i kerp thinking about rebuilding by old fixed gear with some thicker tyres.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Wouldn’t you be tempted to fit some aero Tri bars complete with extra brake levers, put a 23/25mm GP5000 on the front and if you want about more comfort, a 28/32mm GP5000 on the rear?

You can get a Carnac TT helmet, TT gloves and TT overshoes from PX for ~£53 at the mo.

tabletop2
    Free Member

Haha, yeh it’s not a track bike just remember that’s what people called them. Looked them up and seems the company still sells them, it’s one of these but who knows how old as I bought it second hand around 2012

https://mangobikes.com/shop/bikes/original-single-speed/black-series-single-speed-matte-black/

tabletop2
    Free Member

Wouldn’t you be tempted to fit some aero Tri bars complete with extra brake levers, put a 23/25mm GP5000 on the front and if you want about more comfort, a 28/32mm GP5000 on the rear?

You can get a Carnac TT helmet, TT gloves and TT overshoes from PX for ~£53 at the mo.

That is allways an option!

sockpuppet

A few mm extra tyre (so long as it passes through the fork and stays) won’t affect the geometry enough to make much difference.

Bigger tyres will affect the comfort, but it’ll still be largely the same as it is now. Whether that’s make a difference is up to how you feel really.

It’s not a pricey thing to try – probikekit have 28mm GP5000s for £68 for a pair.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Definitely worth it – think you’d be surprised how capable any bike is off-road.
    I don’t think big tyres on that (if it’s that mango) will be a problem at all.
    My road bike/tourer has 40mm tyres on it now and I’ve ridden it on all the trails that I ride my MTB on (ok, so it’s the Chilterns and not exactly rough round here).
    Anytime I want to do some road, cycle tracks, farm tracks etc it’s great.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

My SS hybrid BMC 55:22 with 25c tyres got my PBs on the Ridgeway when it was dry.
    Shook me apart mind you.

Bank Holiday Monday-3

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Wrong tool for the job?’ is closed to new replies.