Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Write a letter to someone
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Some years ago, at school, I had a lovely girlfriend. She was at another school, many miles away. This was before email, faceache, skype etc. We wrote to each other. I remember the joy I felt when I spotted her hand on an envelope in my pigeon hole. I would devour it, hanging on every word. It was usually a stream of consciousness about her life in the weeks we hadn’t seen each other. Nothing weighty, but it meant the world to me.

Years passed.

The lovely girlfriend is an ex. She is also one of my closest, dearest friends. I love her dearly, to this day. We speak, via text, email, phone and skype often.

Today, I came home and on the door mat was an envelope, written in her hand. Even before I opened it, I smiled. After reading, I laughed, I cried. I remembered why she is such a wonderful friend.

My letter to her is in the post.

Writing a letter is marvelous, receiving one may be even better. It is so much more real, more personal and more emotional than ‘modern’ communication.

I urge you to write a letter to someone you love. By hand, not typed, not with txt spk, but with your heart, it’s a wonderful thing.

Stoner
    Free Member

Be honest CFH. You’re just not getting enough nookie are you.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Der Flashy,

I ? u,

Luv ‘n’ ugs,

DdlyDrcy

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Haven’t been at home enough for quite a while, Stoner! 🙂 But, my point remains – a letter says so much more than any other form of communication.

Northwind

I only write letters when I’m incredibly furious about something and know that if I try and say it out loud my brain will melt.

Stoner
    Free Member

a letter says so much more than any other form of communication.

I dont agree.

Tell her to stop poncing around with the Smythson & Mont Blanc crap and get on chatroulette

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Der Flashy,

I nvr tld u I was not reely a vurgin.

Soz,

????????????
    ??????????

CaptJon
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Some years ago, at school, I had a lovely girlfriend. She was at another school, many miles away. This was before email, faceache, skype etc. We wrote to each other. I remember the joy I felt when I spotted her hand on an envelope in my pigeon hole. I would devour it, hanging on every word. It was usually a stream of consciousness about her life in the weeks we hadn’t seen each other. Nothing weighty, but it meant the world to me.

Years passed.

The lovely girlfriend is an ex. She is also one of my closest, dearest friends. I love her dearly, to this day. We speak, via text, email, phone and skype often.

Today, I came home and on the door mat was an envelope, written in her hand. Even before I opened it, I smiled. After reading, I laughed, I cried. I remembered why she is such a wonderful friend.

My letter to her is in the post.

Writing a letter is marvelous, receiving one may be a reaction better. It is so much more real, more personal and more emotional than ‘modern’ communication.

I urge you to write a letter to someone you love. By hand, not typed, not with txt spk, but with your heart, it’s a wonderful thing.

Alright…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Der Flashy,

Pls find attchd a pic of yr son.

Soz,

ourmaninthenorth

Stop blubbing Flashy, or Stoner will confiscate your tuck.

(Am also a letter writer – Smythson, of course, but never ever a Mont Blanc. Dunhill all the way, baby).

Nick

It’s the effort that goes into hand writing a letter that makes them so important, and funnily enough the very fact that communication is getting easier all the time, means that a hand written letter becomes ever more powerful and significant.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Der hommedunord,

I prfr Cross.

Ugs ‘n’ ?

Ddly.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I used a Cross Townsend. 🙂

🙂 @ Darcy, as ever!

Nick, spot on, sir!

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Agreed. Used to write a lot. But not since married. And I think all my letters received have been thrown away….

E mails can be good.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Soppy git

nonk
    Free Member

nice post that flashy..

but who the **** is posh enough to have a pigeon hole at school 😆

you take this online persona to far yknow .

ourmaninthenorth

Dear Darky,

In response to the lovely news that you are Cross, I thought I would let you know that I too am Cross. Often each day, and regularly more than once a day.

I find it wonderful.

Yours sicnerely

encs.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nonk, I was at a boarding school. Pigeon holes were the norm.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i always use to look forward to getting a letter when i was on tour.

nothing worse than all your pals getting letters and you sitting there with jack all!! (happened to me quite so often my room mate would get his wife and kids to write to me)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Dear hommedunord,

I politely remind you that my name is spelled with a c. Many STWers would follow that with a n, t and u.

Respectfully yours, as ever,

Mr Darcy.

cc O’Flashearty

Pook

Dear Flashy,

It’s been a while, what can I say….I’ve been busy, there simply aren’t enough hours in the day.
    Since our time together, I’ve done things…. I’ve made the news….be it for my brooches or clothes, or my sexy new shoes…..
    But recently it’s all gone, well, somewhat awry….not fun like our time together in days gone by….
    For while controlling those pesky immigrant folk….I’ve lost grasp of what’s actually happening and now I’m something of a joke…..
    So please dear flashy help me, we used to have a lark, and get your mate Cameron to bump off Brodie Clark…

Luv and hugz,

TessyBell

(seriously though…nice post. And I agree.)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Loving Pook’s work. 😆

Sue_W
    Free Member

… prepares to face potential pisstaking 🙂 …

CFH – you’re right, but damn you for causing a bad case of dust in my eye. I’ve kept letters from a few people who I have cared deeply about, one of whom is sadly no longer alive. Letters evoke so much more than txt (urgh!), and always have a special resonance.

So, back home, chilled bottle of wine, and time to write …

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Great post CaptainFlashheart. For what it’s worth, I’m in complete agreement with your sentiments.

ourmaninthenorth

Dear Ms Bussel

I must say how saddened I was when your career as a prima ballerina came to an end. I shall never forget the sight of you in a tutu.

Your most humble servant

The Lord of the North

Junkyard
    Free Member

Fine words fine words. Just a lovely post…. goes of to write a letter…ah sod that with my spelling thats madness

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Blueys, oneoneone?

Sue, apologies for the dust. Write what’s on your mind, though.

nonk
    Free Member

i thought that flashy it just made me smile.

tis a lovely post though got me thinking of all sorts of stuff i had long forgotten.

slugwash
    Free Member

I’ve got a nice little collection of touching letters from girlfriends past & present. However, they’re mainly telling me off for misdameaours and more serious crimes against humanity alledgedly commited by me, in various social situations, generally whilst under the influence of alcohol.

I occasionally re-read them while flicking through the old books in which I used them as bookmarks.

Fond memories 🙂

user-removed
    Free Member

I had a long and rose-tinted-glasses type correspondence with an ex girlfriend whose student visa ran out, forcing her to return to the states.

I must have gone a little over the top – she sent me a card in which she asked me to marry her 😯

Wasn’t ready for that and her next move was a visit to the UK….

Still though, I treasured the letters and was a bit peeved when my folks threw them all out when they moved house 🙁

Letters from old mates are great – I keep them all.

emanuel
    Free Member

I remember a girl..we used to write..once or twice a week,for about 8months..then she disappeared,so after trying to get back in touch,and her having none of it.I sent the letters back.occasionaly we talk,and everytime she tells me she’s still hurt by that.Everytime I’m glad.
    write a postcard to my aunt every fortnight more or less.not going anywhere.but you can just say hello,and there’s some nice postcard books for cheap.only takes 5minutes.
    seems a shame to have all this postal infrastructure and just use it for bills and adverts.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well I have appalling virtually illegible handwriting and awful spelling ( maybe dyspraxic / dylexic) and arthritis in my hands that makes holding a pen hurt so for me computers are an absolute godsend.

i do miss postcards tho

emanuel
    Free Member

Tj,the last letter I sent,about 10days ago,to a girl I’ve met,merited the following comment-ps.your handwriting is very difficult to read but I managed and now feel very proud of myself-I understand how she feels,often have trouble reading it myself..

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Blueys, oneoneone?

yep, there the ones.

also there free to send. my family must hate me.

wrecker
    Free Member

Most of the letters I ever got were on blue paper which also doubled as the envelope. And yep they were great. Except when you didn’t get one.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Tell her to stop poncing around with the Smythson & Mont Blanc crap and get on chatroulette

😆

Actually come to think of it I can’t remember the last letter I ‘wrote’. With a pen and paper. 😯

portlyone

I’ve lost the ability to write with a pen and have the message remain legible.

Bit too used to the backspace button also when composing.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    Most of the letters I ever got were on blue paper which also doubled as the envelope. And yep they were great. Except when you didn’t get one.

thats the bluey we all love to get but hate it when other get one and you dont!

wrightyson
    Free Member

“she spotted my hand on her envelope” and gave me a smack round the face!! 😆

coffeeking
    Free Member

CF works for royal mail, clear marketing 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Write a letter to someone’ is closed to new replies.