• This topic has 58 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Would you watch clips of genuine violence?
  • geex
    Free Member

My actions don’t need to make any sense to you Essel

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I wonder how many who didn’t or won’t watched the live news stream of the wtc towers falling.

aweeshoe
    Free Member

@mikewsmith I’ve not watched it. That was the day I got knocked off my bike, I was strapped to a spinal board waiting for a scan and the nurse put the telly on. I couldn’t see it but I could hear the fear and confusion and people gasping as the victims jumped.
    Gandhi said something like “there’s no ideas worth killing for, but there are ideas worth dying for”

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Why would you, seeing as you find it abhorrent?
    Doesn’t make sense

Cutting someone’s head off or shooting a load of innocent people doesn’t make sense either!!

I’ve watched these sorts of videos and in my case it’s because I can’t believe somebody would actually do that to another person so it’s like I need to see it to believe it if that makes sense. I don’t go looking for it but if I stumble across something I’ll watch it. Gory stuff has never really affected me whether it’s in a film or real.

It reminds you that there are some pretty horrible people in the world and that most things people get worked up about are actually pretty minor. For example the woman who wore that small top on the plane, I really don’t understand why people waste their lives getting worked up by those sort of things when there’s stuff like this going on in the world. If that’s the worse thing she’s done in her life shes a pretty decent human being.

geex
    Free Member

That ^^

mooman
    Free Member

I was once sent the vid clip of ISIS beheading a hostage – and curiousity made me click on to view. I couldn’t watch it, even though it was quite grainy and not as gory & graphic as you see on a typical movie or even a tv series nowadays; it was the sound of genuine fear in the victims screams which made me turn it off.

I find it unbelievable that anyone here hasn’t seen the twin towers collapse. Film and photos of it is used so often I imagine it has desensitised people to the thousands who died in them.

I read on a news forum yesterday morning before work about the NZ massacres – and clicked on the link to view. The actual shootings were without gore, and apart from the female victim shot outside, there were no screams as you’d imagine – it was almost surreal in its calmness as the psycho massacred the innocents.

fotorat
    Free Member

Also don’t search for the muslims beheading infidels – that will give you nightmares

I will remember Private Lee Rigby forever

darthpunk
    Free Member

I really don’t understand why people waste their lives getting worked up by those sort of things when there’s stuff like this going on in the world.

It’s easy, instant win to whip up a frenzy over something absolutely pointless and will be forgotten in a day or two, you might even be on the side of the right and get to publicly shame on Twatter. Gun violence, terrorism, hopefully that’s happening somewhere else

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Having been involved with, and seen a lot of it first hand, I’ve no desire to see anymore online.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

really don’t understand why people waste their lives getting worked up by those sort of things when there’s stuff like this going on in the world.

+1 If I’m not mistaken the clothing story caused much more of a kerfuffle hereabouts than did the biggest terrorist attack in NZ/first live-streamed mass-murder of civilians, replete with soundtrack and ‘memes’?

It really isn’t that big of a deal these days is it? Even the POTUS seemed entirely unconcerned. Does anyone feel sometimes like the world is asleep at the wheel while the bus is clearly halfway off the cliff in that direction, yet we passengers are mostly busy looking for tat, tits and tattle on our phones?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I will remember

there are some very long lists to make where human beings died, and yet still people want to make it about sides and one upmanship.

Sometimes it’s the after effects that can be just as haunting, seeing bullet ridden walls in Athens and Barcelona, walking across the landing beaches of Northern France, crossing between trenches in the Somme and reading the names on the in-comprehensively long lists on the war memorials.

Every generation has come up with a new way to kill people and a new way to shout about it.

Terror is belongs to terrorist, some of them happen to have a religion.

DezB
    Free Member

If I’m not mistaken the clothing story caused much more of a kerfuffle hereabouts than did the biggest terrorist attack in NZ

Yeah, duh. There was a fair bit more humour to be found in the former eh?
    Nobody got worked up or in a kerfuffle – they just typed some words about it, exactly like you just did.

rmacattack
    Free Member

I assume it’s something in our dna back to the primal days. We have since become somewhat more intelligent and sensitive to it.
    If everything was to go tits up in the near future , hypothetically of course. How many would stand back and let the last crate of beans be lifted, or go in and have a chance of getting the spoils?
    Back on to the subject though, I watched and will watch various videos. If it’s too gory I can’t, I don’t know why I do, It gives me no pleasure, more so the back story is what interests me more as to why or how the incident happened, then the aftermath and what are the repercussions.

CountZero

I’ve watched enough news reports and documentaries like World At War to have a pretty good grasp of just how depraved the activities of the human race can get. I’ve also read a couple of books about the Japanese occupations of Singapore and China which were pretty educational in that regard; my dad was a POW in Changi, and I think his leaving those books around avoided his needing to talk about his experiences, so I have little desire to watch any footage of Daesh beheadings, or the NZ slaughter.
    I did sit and watch the news on 9/11, I’d heard the first reports on the car radio earlier, it was Radcliffe and Mackonie’s afternoon show, and what I was hearing was difficult enough to believe, watching the tv news that evening was so utterly surreal that even now it’s almost hard to believe it happened, there’s a sort of intellectual disconnect, I guess because because the footage was too much like a movie special effect.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Really quite sobering in the wider context of organized violence, though I guess for one reason or another, this particular approach is more socially acceptable:

https://twitter.com/EmmaMAshford/status/1106883075290603521

5lab

Is it any different to watching footage of the twin towers? Both terrorist attacks that took out a load of innocent victims. Only difference is the level of detail and the volume of victims

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Damn, that reminds me, I’ve gotta update this thread:

Hope the proposed crackdown and censorship of social media won’t effect too many of us…

DezB
    Free Member

Interesting figures from FB ref the NZ shooting –

” the video was viewed less than 200 times during the live broadcast, during which no users reported the video. Including views during the live broadcast, the video was viewed about 4,000 times before it was removed from Facebook. It was first reported 29 minutes after it started streaming, or 12 minutes after it had ended. A link to a copy was posted onto 8chan, the message board that played a major role in the the video’s propogation online, before Facebook was alerted to it.
    Facebook’s new numbers come one day after the company said it had removed about 1.5 million videos of the shooting in the first 24 hours after the attack, including 1.2 million that were blocked at upload, and therefore not available for viewing. But that means it failed to block 20 percent of those videos, or 300,000, which were uploaded to the platform and therefore could be watched.”

The number of people that tried to share it… I wonder if FB has removed their accounts too.

MSP

Maybe we should, not for enjoyment, but to educate ourselves about the barbarity of hatred and the consequences of some prevailing ideologies.

One of the worst “real” things I have seen was the Apache gunship attack on civilians and then the ambulance that came to help them. Did I enjoy it? of course I **** didn’t, but by viewing it I saw the hypocrisy of our leaders and their propaganda exposed.

War footage has become carefully controlled propaganda. embedded journalists seeing only what they are shown, brutality and death has become a glorious video game and we are failing to see the reality any more.

I don’t really believe that watching such horrific acts would encourage further violence, I suspect it would probably put more off the path to terrorism than it would encourage, it would make it more real and less video game like.

IMO we need to see more of the reality of the world, of the suffering the hatred and the death. We are molly coddled by imagary, that glorifies violence performed in our names.

I know that is kind of rambling, I am kind of conflicted on this, I haven’t seen the NZ footage, I won’t be seeking it out, but maybe it should be shown on the news, by not showing it, it gives it more power, promotes it as something people can’t watch without then going out and repeating those actions.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Would you watch clips of genuine violence?’ is closed to new replies.