Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Would you grass them in? Who to?
  • db

Is it me or has this drifted off topic…

footflaps

Would you not intervene or report a mugging? would you call the police if you saw a drunk driver?

Have done on many occasions as well as stoned drivers. With a neighbour we detained one drunk idiot in our street until the Police arrived, he wasn’t driving anywhere as he was down to three wheels on his car having lost one crashing into a neighbours car at some speed (but could have run off).

Society would collapse if everyone just ignored law breaking and let criminals carry on.

bob_summers

It’s like a plot from Hollyoaks but a local lass tested positive the other week but went for a surf anyway. Lifeguard knew her and phoned the police who dragged her off the beach in hazmat suits. Lifeguard has had to leave town due to death threats from Covid deniers.

https://www.eitb.eus/es/noticias/sociedad/videos/detalle/7476169/video-la-surfista-positivo-covid19-amenaza-quien-grabo-imagenes/

Drac

Have done on many occasions as well as stoned drivers.

I take the culprits took out some sort vigilante attacks on you as it happens in the U.K.

Edukator
    Free Member

Posting just to make Drac smile (if that’s possible) and this is a bike forum 😉

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/birmingham-vigilante-cycle-gang-attack-6197136

It includes the classic line ‘‘These people on two wheels, who don’t even pay road tax, were acting like vigilantes.’’

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I would in an instant – both to his boss and the police. if he is walking round covid positive he is breaking the law is he not and could infect others and probably will do. One person knowilng covid positive but not isolating caused an outbreak in Scotland requiring hundreds of people to isolate and infecting a dozen or more

if he is covid positive he should not be out of the house even to go to the chemist

As a nation we need to decide if we are going to have progress in beating down the numbers or just adjust to a very long time with really heavy restrictions on those who comply, significant business damage etc. To achieve the former we need to create a culture of observance and reporting with the police supported. To achieve the latter we keep doing what we are doing.

If we continue with the language of sneaks, grass, dobbing in we’ll be in lockdown for Christmas 21 nevermind this year. The message needs to get through that compliance is what we do, those who choose not to will be fined until they do

Edukator
    Free Member

Getting heavy won’t work. The idea of Covid Marshals lasted how long? A few days. There aren’t enough police for getting heavy to have any impact. And it would just annoy people thus further reducing compliance. Governments worry about being unpopular. The tide has turned, people are more pissed off by the Covid measures than they are worried by the virus, rightly or wrongly.

I’ll be very surprised if we see another national confinement in France even if the stress on hospitals goes back to March levels. It failed the first time, that’s the problem, despite all the measures being taken people watch the news and see the numbers rising. They feel their efforts are futile and are fed up with being told what (not) to do.

It’s going to be increasingly difficult for governments to enforce anything and getting heavy won’t help.

What will help is being more consistent. Being allowed to cram onto buses and commuter trains but not being able to go to a gym with 2m spacing and mask wearing isn’t consistent so the government loses credibility and people start to ignore the rules that they rightly see as stupid and unfair. If you then add Covid marshals knocking on the door people will take revenge at the next elections.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

If you then add Covid marshals knocking on the door people will take revenge at the next elections.

Or throws them out for not being hard enough

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/09/26/two-thirds-britons-think-coronavirus-restrictions-do-not-go/

That escape to Durham and comedy trips to Barnard Castle are going to be very costly

footflaps

I take the culprits took out some sort vigilante attacks on you as it happens in the U.K.

Of course not! Given evidence in court against vandals and even bumped into them in a pub a few weeks later, which was a bit awkward – but no trouble from them.

Edukator
    Free Member

Only two thirds in favour is the problem. Support is slipping away and it’ll slip further as the economic consequences of restrictions get worse. On this side of the channel the first confinement had widespread support and very high compliance. People who were quite happy to not even go out because it was in the public interest 6 months ago are now protesting about bar opening hours.

frankconway

Returning to the OP; he still hasn’t said if his wife has verified proof that her work colleague tested +ve.
    I posted up there ^^^ that ‘apparently’ is the key word in his post.
    If he has verifiably tested +ve that should be reported to police without doubt.
    If he’s taking a 10 day skive based on a claim he’s +ve his employer would be interested.
    Either way, if the OP’s wife talks to either police or employer – or both – she could make herself unpopular at the very least with her colleague if it became known she reported her concerns.
    If it was me I would talk to police and employer as that would cover all possibilities.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Does it really matter if the OP knows if the guy is positive? That’s why the rozzers exist, to act on information received and investigate. So call them and tell them you have reason to suspect a positive guy is breaking quarantine and putting the public at risk. Don’t mention work skivving etc. If they ask why you suspect tell them you understand he is off work having told his employer he was. Let them figure it out. There may be no comeback from work that way but that’s small beer against the greater risk. If you saw a driver swerving all over the road would you only call the police I’d you knew they were impaired, or would you call to report the suspect behaviour?

’ve never called the police about a drunken driver of which there is no shortage in these parts, o

I genuinely hope you never find yourself in the situation where a neighbour is injured or worse by a drink driver and you have to look at yourself and ask why you didn’t. I find it difficult to believe anyone in this day and age would not denounce them, much less admit it in public.

Edukator
    Free Member

🙂

Fascinating comparing this thread with the first French google result for an equivalent forum discussion with slightly different circumstances in that the driver concerned is known to be regualarly drunk not just a random car being driven erratically enough to be pretty certain the driver is drunk:

https://forum.doctissimo.fr/sante/alcool-tabac-drogues/denoncer-conduite-dangereusesujet_179892_1.htm

What would you have me do Vichy Olly, ram them to stop them (pretty ineffective on my bike early in on a Sunday morning)? Call the local feds who’ll pretend to take note and do nothing because they have their own strategy to deal with drink driving.

Feel guilty about minding my own business? Not a bit. 🙂 I’m not about to solve all the ills of the world and cause myself loads of hassle in the process. Denouncing bragging about speeding and fast driving on petrohead threads on this very forum is about as far as I’m prepared to go. Interesting to compare contributions to petrolhead threads from people on this thread with their calls to denounce the possible Covid nautiness.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

What would you have me do

I’d have thought that was pretty obvious. Admittedly I didn’t write it en francaise but I’d have thought you’d understood it was call the police.

Call the local feds who’ll pretend to take note and do nothing because they have their own strategy to deal with drink driving.

Oh, you did get it. You can only control what you do. If they do nothing that’s on them. Who knows, something does happen and there is a report on record, perhaps they’ll have to change the strategy.

You mind your on business with drunk drivers but you rush in to save a damsel in distress, why is that?

As I said I hope you never find out what that guilt does to people, families, relationships.

People usually only resort to personal insults when it’s obvious they are losing the argument. You lead with it. Why is that, I wonder?

Edukator
    Free Member

Some people are unlikely to agree about anything ever, chromolyolly. Do you agree that we are two such people? 😉

Nobody phones the police about every speeding/drunk/dangerous/red light jumping motorist they see, not even you, yet you sleep at night judging from your posting history. Being critical of someone for not doing so (me in this case) is provocative (and insulting if you prase it right) and you don’t do it yourself, it’s imposible if you drive a car or ride a bike, you are witness to more illegal driving that it’s ever possible to report on typical journey. Even the police let most things go and just concentrate on particualr aspects at particular times, and particalar ethnic groups.

As for Covid if you’ve been following the other tracing thread it appears that most “contacts” and “cases” don’t isolate.

loum
    Free Member

Feels to me like they’ve chucked the app on the table like another dead cat this week. People arguing over downloading and using it is more distraction from the actual problem. But more divide and conquer.

News yesterday ( ft and i are good sources) had study with only 11% quarantining after confirmed contact with positive case, and only 18% self isolating with symptoms. This is the actual problem.

The app is not going to change this. People are saying they would isolate if they had to, then not following through when it happens. Any message from the app is non enforceable, and it isn’t perfect so it will make mistakes. People already ignoring the rules aren’t going to be changed by an unproven phone app, assume a “mistake” and add to the culture of non compliance.
    Posted 12 hours ago
    Reply | Report

People’s attitudes to Covid are very similar to motoring offences, they complain about other drivers whilst speeding themselves

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Talk of “narks and grasses” is just reinforcing the culture of bullies being able to do what they like with no recriminations.

See, we could all be richer and more successful, if there was no respect for law, and “snitches wear stiches” was the rule of the street. I could break into a bike shop tomorrow and steal 20k of bikes and sell them on this forum, if the likes of “edukator” had their way. I’d be £10k+ up, lots of you would have a lovely mountain bike cheap. As long as no one “tells” on me, then apart from one sad loser, the bike shop owner (who was probably insured) everyone’s doing ok. That’s the society that cheats, bullies and thieves try to reinforce because they thrive under it, at a cost to the rest of us in society.

Society is better if we are free to let an honest, transparent judicial process, agreed by the people through votes/and laws investigate our concerns, than if we all cower in fear of the bullies who rely on our meek compliance to their threats.

If this guy is sick, he may pass it on to several people, who on turn pass on to several more. It only requires one vulnerable person, to have utterly tragic consequences that tear a family apart for ever.

Alternatively, the persons taking the piss, and silent compliance means your wife and her team are doing 10d of his work for nothing, for no reward, no return, and I’m pretty sure he wont be amenable to doing 10d of your wife’s work when she fancies buggering off for 10d with a fraudulent positive text later on. Because bullies requiring a “narks and grasses” culture are rarely fair minded when it comes to other people giving it a go.

Talk of Stazi and Nazi’s is inappropriate. We have a law which even if clear is clearly for a good reason, and its not discriminatory in any way. It has a positive goal in mind.

Coyote
    Free Member

Juju seems to talk sense.

poly
    Free Member

Is it me or has this drifted off topic…

Returning to the OP; he still hasn’t said if his wife has verified proof that her work colleague tested +ve.
    I posted up there ^^^ that ‘apparently’ is the key word in his post.
    If he has verifiably tested +ve that should be reported to police without doubt.

I think I covered off what is known and how it is known. Presumably the only way anyone could know “for certain” would be with access to his medical records or perhaps HR file. But her knowledge came from him – its not some heresay or supposition.

Either way, if the OP’s wife talks to either police or employer – or both – she could make herself unpopular at the very least with her colleague if it became known she reported her concerns.

Since he knows she saw him, that is precisely the concern. She still doesn’t think its likely that he’d be out on the streets if he had actually tested positive (gosh I love her innocence sometimes!)

Still not supposed to be out.

However, something doesn’t add up. Unless they paid for a test, lied about their symptoms to get a test you can’t get tested without symptoms even if you’ve been in contact with a positive case.

I’m not sure if this is different north of the wall, but there’s definitely testing of asymptomatic people going on up here.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Eurgh. Yet another thread where you-know-who has wrestled the agenda around to why France is better than the UK. It’s really tiresome. Look, you don’t need to justify your life choices on a flipping bike forum!

For what it’s worth, I can’t see how the Covid fella isn’t doing something wrong somewhere so I’d inform the police. If he denies being positive, then hopefully, he’ll at least think twice about throwing a sickie like that again. It’s a dickish move if so.

slowoldman

So clarification for us from the Care Minister.

On @SkyNews this morning, Care Minister Helen Whately said the trigger for her reporting a breach of COVID restrictions would be if she saw a marquee in a neighbour’s garden.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Part of the reason we’re in this situation is self righteous bell ends like the person in the original post.

My kids school has had 2 year groups sent home as 2 of the kids (siblings in years 2 and 5) as well as one of their parents have tested positive. Rumour* has it the kids are at home playing out in the street with other kids.

* mums whatsapp gossip group

You can report breaches online to the local police. Do that if you’re not bothered about them knowing it was you/your wife. I’ve used it a few times since this kicked off. Rode past a house a fortnight ago where they were having a BBQ. Counted at least 10 people there (this after the rule of 6 thing). Rode on a bit, reported to cops, carried on my ride. Reported the neighbours as well. I care more about the health of my family and friends than I do about what the neighbours think of me.

hugo
    Free Member

I would call the po po in in this circumstance because without immediate proof the first thing I’d hope they do would be to phone him up or knock on the door, masked up, and give fair warning.

No idea whether this is would actually happen, but hope springs eternal.

I wouldn’t worry about making him a criminal. I don’t think they’re going to stake him out or go after him with just your word.

IdleJon

I wouldn’t worry about making him a criminal. I don’t think they’re going to stake him out or go after him with just your word.

But you would potentially criminalise a person because they just wanted to skive off work for a few days and weren’t bright enough to realise what they’d done? Happy to ruin someone’s life?

mutepoint
    Free Member

If she has any morals then yes, if any commin sense then no.

Simples…

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Some people are unlikely to agree about anything ever, chromolyolly. Do you agree that we are two such people?

To be honest I don’t give what you say the attention it deserves because of the way you say it. The little personal digs means I focus on that not the content.

I don’t call the police over every driving offence but when I suspect impaired driving I do, everytime because behind using a mobile it’s the single biggest cause of death and injury, usually to innocent people. Givent that you are a dad I’m surprised you don’t.
    Which is why I said the OP should report it. Covid is a big danger to some people.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Would you grass them in? Who to?’ is closed to new replies.