Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Would you believe it, clothes pegs worked! Tubeless content
  • weeksy

Tried for an hour to get a 29er rim and maxxis Crossmark 2 done tubeless. Tried with valve core out, tried a tube around, the outside etc, no good.

Got 11 pegs around the edge, ping! Straight up! Ha ha.

teethgrinder

So you’re advocating pegging to anyone with an already slack rim?

weeksy

Errrrrm I dunno. I’m not down with the cool kids on these words. Maybe?

vincienup
    Free Member

Pushing down hard with your thumb into the rim over the valve can often make the difference for this sort of job too…

Onzadog
    Free Member

I thought I was the only person to have used pegs. Glad it worked for someone else as well though.

They don’t half ping off when the bead seals though.

cokie

I’m struggling to picture this.. where do you fit the pegs? Is it around the rim either side , with the tyre sandwich is the well of the rim? Interested!

That said, since running Hope and Maxxis I’ve had zero issues. They go up in 5 mins each, if that.

bsims
    Free Member

Pushing down hard with your thumb into the rim

😆

weeksy

Pegs at the start of tread and halfway down sidewall, it’s like you’re pulling the sidewall closer to the bead. I was sceptical before hand but had run out of ideas with his rim and tyre combo

vincienup
    Free Member

@bsims Ta!  This does actually work btw… 😳

The pegs, though. I’m struggling with this still. So, the pegs are down the side of the tyre?  Guessing this is one of the super lightweight tyres that really just wants to sit flat and not be tyre shaped, then?

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you have a tyre where the bead is sitting in the well of the rum rather than the bead socket and all the air escapes before pushing the tyre bead outwards, you can try this.

Pegs go on the bottom of the tread/top of the sidewall and effectively flatten the top of the tread and pull the bead closer to the bead socket allowing air to get behind the bead and push it into the rim shoulder.

weeksy

Crossmark 2. So xc biased but not super lightweight etc. I should have taken a pic really.

It’s stayed up solidly overnight so all good.

rOcKeTdOg

It’s stayed up solidly overnight so all good.

Oh to be a teenager again

nixie

Zip ties joined together to go around the whole wheel does similar.

bsims
    Free Member

Pushing down hard with your thumb into the rim

Thanks vincienup. I will remember that advice…….when I have difficulty with a tyre. It would not have even registered in the teenage lobe of my brain if teethgrinder had not said

So you’re advocating pegging to anyone with an already slack rim?

Looks like it stimulated the teenage lobe in rOKeTdOg as well!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Would you believe it, clothes pegs worked! Tubeless content’ is closed to new replies.