Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Wotuser.co scam site?
  • oldnick

I was trying to download a pdf to do with servicing a Lefty, the hosting site says “1 week free trial, cancel anytime”.
    In my sleep deprived state I cheerfully stuck my bank card details in, and was then forwarded to ‘Movie-tonight’ whoever the hell they are. E49.99 a month subscription after the one week free!
    So I cancelled immediately, rang the bank who told me that 88p has already gone, ref wotuser.co.
    They seem to hail from Walton Technology Ltd. Dept 1784, 196 High Road Wood Green, N22 2HH London United Kingdom, and they don’t answer the phone.
    Have any of you had experience of this lot, am I being paranoid or are they a bunch of scammers?
    I’m not even sure if they have a lawn to hammer frozen sausages into.

NewRetroTom

Companies House says the only director URBANEK, Damian is Polish and lives in Poland.
    There are two resigned directors who were based in Cyprus.

There are 15,484 matches found for the postcode where the company is registered (196 High Road, Wood Green, London, England, N22 8HH), so lots of companies based there!

Doesn’t seem at all dodgy to me.

NewRetroTom

The 15,484 companies all seem to be based above a dry cleaning shop. No sign of any lawn from looking at google maps.

andrewh
    Free Member

There are 15,484 matches found for the postcode where the company is registered (196 High Road, Wood Green, London, England, N22 8HH), so lots of companies based there!

Not unusual to use your accountant or solicitor as registered office. My previous employer had around 800 registered in a small converted flat in Edinburgh.
    But otherwise, yep, sound pretty iffy. Call the card company and get them blocked just in case?

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m not saying that they took a small payment first to check the validity of your details before selling those details on for nefarious purposes, because I don’t have enough accurate information to make such a statement, but, in your shoes, I’d probably be contacting my banks fraud department to give them a heads up and asking them to flag your account for potential suspicious activity.
    If you have an alternative account that you can transfer funds to , I’d be doing that and leaving the potentially compromised one as empty as possible.

zilog6128

Is it a user manual or some kind of trade-only service manual? Either way, might not be a scam, plenty of websites charge for manuals, you have probably been mugged off though for something you could find elsewhere for free!
    (altho the subscription thing sounds like a kind of “legal scam” where they rely on you not noticing for a month or 2 and then not bothering trying to claim it back…)

oldnick

Thanks all, the bank (First Direct) have blocked the account that took the initial 88p, but did warn that that isn’t always fool-proof.
    I’ve never checked my balance so often!
    I’ll start another thread for the info I’m after 🙂

Greybeard
    Free Member

Just to give you confidence that wotuser.co is reputable, the .co top level domain means it’s registered in Columbia.

maccruiskeen

If you have an alternative account that you can transfer funds to ,

I’ve got a spare account you could use 🙂

maccruiskeen

Thanks all, the bank (First Direct) have blocked the account that took the initial 88p, but did warn that that isn’t always fool-proof.

That seems fairly lax – if there’s a worry your card details have fallen into the wrong hands they should really just cancel the card and issue a new one. Seems odd to be taking a ‘wait and see’ approach.

Cougar

Domain name registered for just one year, which is typical behaviour for scammers (they aren’t around long enough to merit longer registrations).

walton-tech.net – assuming they’re actually related – looks legit though.

I think I’d be asking your bank to reissue the card you used.

lucky7500

Not sure if it includes what you are after, but here is a link to what seems to be a lot of lefty manuals on the Cannondale site.

oldnick

It did seem odd that cancelling the card wouldn’t kill the problem, the wait and see approach doesn’t appeal at all.
    Columbia? Oh well that’s all right then…
    I’ll call the bank again tonight when I’m not on a school-run deadline/ head about to fall off situation.

dafydd17
    Free Member

Columbia (District of)? Could be a Trump affiliate – definitely dodgy.
    On the other hand, could be a Colombian drug dealer, probably far safer…

Poopscoop

oldnick
    It did seem odd that cancelling the card wouldn’t kill the problem, the wait and see approach doesn’t appeal at all.
    Columbia? Oh well that’s all right then…
    I’ll call the bank again tonight when I’m not on a school-run deadline/ head about to fall off situation.

Memory is vague on this but I had to lol into this for my son a few years back.

From memory even cancelling the card and using a new one does not stop a debit from your account being made.

I can’t remember how we resolved it on the end!

treyster1
    Free Member

Hi, Following up, I was nearly scammed on Instagram by an account that linked back to Walton Tech. The company cloned another users account and then re-directed me to sign up to Weekly-Otter which is a, get this, subscription video service free for 7 days and then £49.99 thereafter. Immediately contacted the bank and reported the page to Instragram. Google searches show a legitimate web development business. Which I can safely say they are not.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Wotuser.co scam site?’ is closed to new replies.