Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 260 total)
  • Worst, most hated, most vile UK city?
  • surfer
    Free Member

There is a threat Binners and I will be visiting Liverpool sometime in the not too distant future….

Any dates in mind Fred ?

Nice pics Mr O

sefton
    Free Member

Liverpool – capital of culture 😆 😆 😆

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Oh man, yeah, forgot about Swansea and Liverpool, that’s the two worst places right there. Had a few nights out in Swansea, each time there seemed to be some kind of charity fight-athon, with hordes of bleach-blond, spiked-hair yoots laying into each other.
    Still nicer than Liverpool, mind.

traildog
    Free Member

I find it strange some of the suggestions people are coming up with. I enjoy visiting Liverpool, the architecture is interesting, the galleries are really good, there is a great concert hall, some nice cafes and restaurants. The new shopping centre is ok if you like that sort of thing. I couldn’t live there and there are areas which are beyond horrible but that’s true of most cities, Liverpool more than some perhaps.
    Preston is another one mentioned and I find this very strange. The river ribble is lovely as is the whole ribble valley. The forest of Bowland is one of the most beautiful places in the country. I guess it all depends on what you want, as I wouldn’t go for a night out drinking there.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The worst thing about London is, and people are forgetting this, is that it is full of cockney w***ers.

Just saying like.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

..and the best thing about London is that most of them can’t see beyond the M25 so they stay there

Diane
    Free Member

Liverpool has some fantastic buildings and architecture – could just do with a bit of restoration money

hilldodger
    Free Member

GlitterGary – Member
    The worst thing about London is, and people are forgetting this, is that it is full of cockney w***ers.

Just saying like.

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member
    ..and the best thing about London is that most of them can’t see beyond the M25 so they stay there

Nice too see our country cousins ‘sharing the love’ 😀

sefton
    Free Member

Liverpool 😆 full of wag lookalikes!

I saw a rat with an overall on once! 😆

timc
    Free Member

Cities in England
    Bath Birmingham Bradford
    Brighton and Hove Bristol Cambridge
    Canterbury Carlisle Chester
    Chichester Coventry Derby
    Durham Ely Exeter
    Gloucester Hereford Kingston upon Hull
    Lancaster Leeds Leicester
    Lichfield Lincoln Liverpool
    City of London Manchester Newcastle upon Tyne
    Norwich Nottingham Oxford
    Peterborough Plymouth Portsmouth
    Preston Ripon Salford
    Salisbury Sheffield Southampton
    St Albans Stoke-on-Trent Sunderland
    Truro Wakefield Wells
    Westminster Winchester Wolverhampton
    Worcester York

Cities in Wales
    Bangor Cardiff Newport
    St Davids Swansea

Cities in Scotland *
    Aberdeen Dundee Edinburgh
    Glasgow Inverness Stirling

Cities in Northern Ireland
    Armagh Belfast Londonderry
    Lisburn Newry

timc
    Free Member

I’ve been to about 70% of the cities above…

Bradford & Newport are the most grim for me, Both in desperate need of massive investment, The Like of Liverpool& Manchester have benefited from!

Saying London, Edinburgh, Liverpool are the worst, you guys need to do some travelling, clowns!

konabunny
    Free Member

And so, the worst, most hated, most vile city in the UK is: NEWPORT.

To my mind, this is a bit of a shame as

a) Newport is not Stirling, which I nominated;

b) there’s some interesting architecture going up, esp at Old Town Dock and,

c) it’s the subject of possibly the only genuinely funny Youtube parody in recorded history:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyoDUoH7BZc[/video]

As the more attentive of you might remember, there were only three rules in the contest: “the place you’re slagging off has to be in the UK (UK of GB and NI); it has to be a city as defined here; and, err, it has to be shit”.

A surprising number of STWers were too stupid to follow even these simple rules. Consequently some attempted to vote for places which were not cities. (This was particularly true of people who nominated “London” and didn’t mean the City of London, who showed they neither know what the City of London is – and therefore what they were criticising – nor what “shit” means). Their votes were not counted and they were deemed to be honorary Newportonians.

Others couldn’t keep it succinct and rambled on about a whole lot of places without ever expressing a view as to which city they thought was worst, thus showing they don’t know the difference between singular and plural. Their votes were not counted.

Valid votes are as below.

Birmingham
    Birmingham
    Bradford
    Bradford
    Bradford
    Coventry
    Derry/Londonderry
    Hull
    Liverpool
    Manchester
    Newport
    Newport
    Newport
    Newport
    Newport
    Newport
    Newport
    Newport
    Peterborough
    Peterborough
    Peterborough
    Peterborough
    Peterborough
    Peterborough
    Preston
    Portsmouth
    Portsmouth
    Portsmouth
    Preston
    Salford
    Salford
    Salford
    Southampton
    Stirling
    Stirling
    Sunderland
    Sunderland
    St Albans
    Stoke
    Stoke

Not cities:

Bedford
    Blackpool
    Bromley
    Chippenham
    Crewe
    Holyhead
    London
    Luton
    Middlesbrough
    Milton Keynes
    Reading
    Swindon
    Torquay

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ah, right, so London isn’t a ‘city’, then. Ok.

Metropolis then?

ahwiles
    Free Member

conurbation perhaps?

just a suggestion…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Nah, London has expanded and swallowed up small towns and villages, rather than two or more towns joining up, like Greater Manchester, Leeds/Bradford, Birmingham/Wolverhampton etc.

Funny that London has a City Hall, yet apparently isn’t a ‘city’. 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

Yeees, get in there! Peterborough second. So not just a sh1thole but a second class sh1thole at that 🙂

andyl46
    Free Member

There is only one reason that Lisburn didn’t top your poll:

Its so crap that no one believes its actually a city.

It does this by not having a hotel, for example, therefore making it difficult for visitors to spend any time there. It does however have the estates of Twinbrook and Poleglass. It makes Belfast look good, which takes some doing.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

There is only one reason that Lisburn didn’t top your poll:

Because it’s actually in Portugal? 😐

(It is, isn’t it? Tell me it is. Well it bloody ought to be, name like that. Come over here, take our jobs, get all the best housing next minute you’ll have all their foreign muck on the shelves in shops well I don’t know country’s gone to the dogs if you ask me.)

andyl46
    Free Member

Elfin, if it was, then it would have a decent climate as a redeeming feature. As it is, its in good ‘ol drizzly Norn Irn. However, a quick google has revealed a Premier Inn has recently been built just inside the “city” limits, so my first point is null and void. Still wouldn’t want to go there though!

Philby

Can I put in another vote for Bradford – went to school there and now its even worse as the city centre seems to have developed a big hole where some major investment development failed to materialise.

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 260 total)

The topic ‘Worst, most hated, most vile UK city?’ is closed to new replies.