Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 260 total)
  • Worst, most hated, most vile UK city?
  • konabunny
    Free Member

Predictably, schnullelieber’s thread on Birmingham has led to a whole bunch of people saying how awful Birmingham is and how no-one should ever move or visit there. (Some of the critics have even been to Birmingham!). Birmingham has a bad rep and it’s never going to be glamorous.

But is it the worst city in the UK? You decide on this thread. The rules: the place you’re slagging off has to be in the UK (UK of GB and NI); it has to be a city as defined here; and, err, it has to be shit.

My nomination: Stirling. Dismal weather, infested by neds (“Big Mags”), convenient for Edinburgh and Glasgow and better than neither, rough schemes and not much of architectural interest in town. Plus points: castle, not far to get out of town, weird uni campus.

(PS: someone else can do the thread for the best city. I’m too much of a misanthrope and cynic to start it!)

donsimon
    Free Member

For me, I think I have to nominate Peterborough. I visited this illustriuos city many years ago for a regatta weekend. A few of us had the opportunity to go to the city centre on the Saturday afternoon only to find it was CLOSED! NOT OPEN, DESERTED STREETS, SHOPS CLOSED, EVERYTHING CLOSED!!! FFS!!! 🙄

rob2
    Free Member

Peterborough is an old roman town is it not? (as are lots of places, but always wonder if they knew what it would be like 2000years later!)

I think you’ll find the answer is Sunderland though 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bullheart
    Free Member

Stirling? You haven’t got out much,eh? 😉

One word. Preston.

rob2
    Free Member

Scores so far

Stirling 1
    Peterborough 1
    Sunderland 1
    Preston 1

Fight!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

London.

yamyamblade
    Free Member

Lived just outside Portsmouth for a few months back in the early 90’s found it truly horrible place to go out for a drink etc, horrible atmosphere and not so friendly people, mind I was in a group of about 10 construction workers so not surprising

spasmicgherkin
    Free Member

Pompey’s not a bad vote. Went to watch Preston North End play them with some (co-incidentally) Prestonian friends a few years ago. Was spat on before i got a hundred meters from the train station.

Well look at that, i managed to get two of the candidates into one post. (on my only visit to Preston I was refused entry to bloody Tokyo Joe’s on the basis of being too scruffy – despite borrowing presentable-people clothes especially. I doubt i missed anything good, but i’ll bear a grudge against the town for it anyhoo.)

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Manchester. Purely on the basis of the football teams that are based there.

rkk01
    Free Member

Indecision, indecision…

Based on personal experience:
    Bristol
    Newport, or
    Portsmouth

Twin
    Free Member

Newport. Like Peterborough with the accolade of being Britain’s most violent town before it was ‘upgraded’ to a city.
    If Dylan Thomas had been alive I’m pretty sure he would have given Swansea a break changed his statement to “Newport is the graveyard of all ambition.”

househusband
    Free Member

Bedford.

BadlyWiredDog

Peterboghorror. Quite awful.

higgo
    Free Member

Gloucester, Portsmouth and Stoke in no particular order.

krag
    Free Member

St Albans

allthepies
    Free Member

Manchester, Liverpool or Glasgow.

allthepies
    Free Member

Bedford.

Not a city.

BenjiM

Well look at that, i managed to get two of the candidates into one post. (on my only visit to Preston I was refused entry to bloody Tokyo Joe’s on the basis of being too scruffy – despite borrowing presentable-people clothes especially. I doubt i missed anything good, but i’ll bear a grudge against the town for it anyhoo.)

The only thing you missed was your feet sticking to the carpet. You were probably refused entry on the grounds that you were over the age of 16. It did used to have a pretty strict “dress code” though. I think that’s changed since it became Lava Ignite.

mrmo
    Free Member

newport, gwent. One of the few places i have been that i could think of nothing positive.

fadda

What twin and mrmo said.

Newport is a complete hole. Even people who were born and live there will tell you.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLFHDNksCh4[/video]

richmars

Peterborough.
    I have been there a few times and I’m always left wondering ‘What’s it for?’
    Other places have sometime famous, eg Cambridge has the university, Ely has its eels, but what does Peterborough have? It’s just a name just off the A1.

jumping_flea
    Free Member

My vote goes for two midlands cities –

Birmingham – Worked all over the place and its the only place I’ve been shot at. Some scumbag in a block of flats with an air rifle 😯

Wolverhampton – Rubbish traffic, Rubbish shops, and again found myself under threat from locals, one chucked a TV out of his house at us due to the power being off.

geoffj

I have to visit peterborough for work and tbh it’s not that bad.
    I’m with the op re Stirling though and I reckon Milton Keynes should get an honourable mention – oh and Sheffield.

billyboy
    Free Member

St Albans??????…………………. quite liked it.

LBB…………..Load of Bloody Bromley

j_me
    Free Member

Bit harsh on Stirling IMO, there’s some excellent biking around there. I would rather live in Stirling than Hull.
    PS – Mags has been moved out of town now.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

London. No question.

The air is horrible, the water is horrible, it sprawls for miles meaning it takes ages to get out of. The people are unfriendly and everything is too crowded. Put too many rats in a cage and they fight

jimc101
    Free Member

I reckon Milton Keynes should get an honourable mention

Like Bedford, it’s just a town, MK keeps getting rejected for City Status

geoffj

Sheffield

Seriously?

Parts of it are a bit shit, but on the whole it’s a great city.

Of the places I can recall actually being to, Middlesbrough and it’s surrounding areas has to rate pretty highly.

I’ve never been, but I believe Scunthorpe is supposed to be a bit crap too..

Oh, not a city, but anyone ever been to Merthyr Tydfil – jeez?

konabunny
    Free Member

Middlesbrough

Town.

Scunthorpe

Town.

😀

trailmonkey

The air is horrible, the water is horrible, it sprawls for miles meaning it takes ages to get out of. The people are unfriendly and everything is too crowded. Put too many rats in a cage and they fight

Sounds like a generic description for any city, not a specific one.

*possible exclusions may apply, but i’d take some convincing*

deep_river
    Free Member

Being a field Engineer in my profession for the last 12 years there are not many cities I havent been too regularly, here are the 5 cities/towns I would like to live in the least –

London
    Widnes
    Coventry
    Luton
    Stevenage

mmmm scunthorpe and cambridge could easily get into this list.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Trailmonkey – I can cycle from one side to the other of Edinburgh in under an hour – try that in London. /Water is good in Edinburgh as well

khani
    Free Member

London, awful awful place!

mudshark
    Free Member

Really don’t get why people say London, the cultural aspects are enough to make up for all the less appealing things.

Coventry and Hull have the least to off of the cities I’ve lived in.

Newport – supposed to be trying to win a project there on Monday! Thought there might be some nice cycling to be had nearby?

tankslapper
    Free Member

Another vote for Newport here

Any place with the name ‘New’ in it is usually **** as a rule 😆

deep_river
    Free Member

Newport is vile, but sooooo close to quality outdoors stuff, and Cardiff is good.

fadda

Mudshark – Cwmcarn is just up the road from Newport, and Afan is less than an hour away.

deep_river
    Free Member

What does Luton have to offer??????

No reason for anyone to live there through choice!

mudshark
    Free Member

Unfortunately will probably only have time for some road loops after work.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 260 total)

The topic ‘Worst, most hated, most vile UK city?’ is closed to new replies.