• This topic has 171 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by zokes.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 172 total)
  • World gone mad?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

at anyone who thinks it’s anything other than sexist and sleezy. It’s totally unacceptable behaviour in the workplace.

Kryton57

mikewsmith – I don’t think anyone here is arguing against you tbh, or condoning the behaviour. I think he said the wrong thing in the wrong place at the wrong time.

we are saying the world has not gone mad, its just an irresponsible bit of behavior, and we don’t need to be firing Chris Gayle or nuking Jamaica over it. He has apologised and has as requested made a charitable donation as a penalty.

It’s totally unacceptable behaviour in the workplace

This.

Thats the end of it really.

nealglover
    Free Member

I can’t help thinking that his skin colour and general physique are a part of what’s causing the outrage, which is racist.

oh cool, are we just making stuff up now.

I reckon the outrage was caused because she is actually his twin sister but they were separated at birth.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

sorry your comment read a little the other way as I first saw it, having seen the coverage here in Oz it’s making people talk about the issues which is the only good thing to come from it.

scotroutes

Only if her name is Rey

binners

Are we having another get together of the Singletrack Casual Misogynists League so soon after the last one?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I am looking forward to the latest quote filled clash between the Singletrack Casual Misogynists and the Singletrack White Knights.

Gonna be a cracker!

binners

Working in the media is a tough job, you don’t get in front of camera unless you are easy on the eye

Very true

😀

zokes
    Free Member

I wish we could fine people for being dicks.

You can’t do that, poor pigface would be bankrupt

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Very true

Not going to lie. I’d hit that.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

What if a girl did something similar?

What would the repercussions be?

hels
    Free Member

If a “girl” did something similar I imagine a telling off from her mum and dad, who probably shouldn’t have let her go on TV anyway, as she is you know, not even 12 years old.

Sigh.

scotroutes

Don’t tell me we’re not allowed to use the term “girl” for an adult female – or is it like that only people with dark skin can call each other “****”?

djglover
    Free Member

Its only OK to hit on people in a work environment if they are young and at a lower social or professional status than you see here

chip
    Free Member

If you don’t believe front of camera is mainly inhabited by the easy on the eye you are being very naive.
    Especially the female representatives.
    That’s why Jeremy Kyles show stands out a mile as we are not used to seeing ugly people on the box.

I think he was wrong to ask her out on camera, it was unprofessional and disrespectful and if he really wanted to ask her out he could have politely asked her out after they had finished the interview.

I don’t know what he did could be described as sexism as in he wouldn’t have asked her out if she was a man :D.
    But I believe from what I know about him he probably has a low opinion of woman. Is this cultural on his part, maybe.
    And if so maybe even compacted by his sports celebrity and fame.
    I grew up with someone who went on to be a professional footballer and amongst some of his contemparies there was a culture of treating woman poorly as which was due to them being young men and in general pretty woman were easy come easy go. As there were many woman happy to throw them selfs at them.

His club have every right to expect there players to conduct them selfs in a professional manner and to fine there players if they feel they have not done so.

nealglover
    Free Member

If a “girl” did something similar I imagine a telling off from her mum and dad, who probably shouldn’t have let her go on TV anyway, as she is you know, not even 12 years old.
    Sigh.

So when my wife says she is going out with the girls for some drinks on Saturday, she’s actually taking a load of kids out and plying them with cocktails !!

I should have words really, that’s not on.

*sigh*

binners

Well hellloooooooo

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I give the thread an hour.

Less, if Cougar is on his lunch break.

chip
    Free Member

Forget your wife. My dad at 70 often goes on a boys night out.
    Should I inform yew tree .

hels
    Free Member

In this context, use of the term “girl” continues the belittling and patronising tone of what the cricket player said in the first place. And to add a sexual overtone to that ramps the creepy up to 11…

Referring to women as a group of underage females, especially in this context is grim and tasteless.

(in a Nabokov and Polanski type way).

Although I would have issue with what Binners said – I am not sure a person can be a “casual” misogynist, fear and hatred of women does by definition require some intent.

scotroutes

So, it turns out that Girl Power wasn’t, as I had long thought, a phrase used as a term of empowerment, independence, and self-sureness, expressing a cultural phenomenon of the 1990s and early 2000s. It was, in fact, a dastardly plan to breed an army of female clones and harness them to giant underground hamster wheels in order to provide an alternative source of energy.

It makes you think….

binners

I meant casually delivered Misogynistic views Hels. Rather than casually held.

The usual suspects have already hauled themselves from 1973 onto this thread. If the Maxis calendar thread showed anything, its that trying to drag their attitudes towards women any further forward than the early 70’s is a pretty futile exercise. They’re happily stuck there.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They’re happily stuck there.

Yep waiting for the missus/mother to cook them tea and finish cleaning

Pigface
    Free Member

My mates in Wales all women who are in their 40’s always refer to themselves as girls, ie Girls on Tour when they go away two times a year for long weekends, saw the girls last night it was lush.

Maybe just valley speak.

nealglover
    Free Member

Referring to women as a group of underage females, especially in this context is grim and tasteless.
    (in a Nabokov and Polanski type way).

Lol.

jiveybunneyjive, the one man army fighting against high profile child abusers, being accused of acting in a “Polanski type way”

You really couldn’t make it up. (Except of course you did)

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

If Freddie Flintoff did it do people think it’d have created the same reaction? (Picking up on Edukators comment – not sure what I think about it so just asking)

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

You know those Girl’s nights out where they frolick with male strippers and stuff?

Lock the strippers up I say, bloody perverts.

Kryton57

So can I sue Take That under the Trades description act for referring to themselves as a “Boy” Band?

But I believe from what I know about him he probably has a low opinion of woman.

So, conjecture on your part.

Is this cultural on his part, maybe.

I’d like to point out that my earlier reference to culture was not to suggest a general “low opinion of women” in the Caribbean population, but that openly flirting with women in the manner/vocabulalry Chris Gayle did in that interview is quite normal in the right circumstances on some islands if not all. It should also be pointed out that the educational and behavioral standards – again of most islands – are way higher than the UK in general – that behaviour would not be tolerated in the school/professional environment.

grum
    Free Member

Don’t tell me we’re not allowed to use the term “girl” for an adult female – or is it like that only people with dark skin can call each other “****”?

No, that’s only people from that place in Scotland remember.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t know what he did could be described as sexism

It’s not sexual discrimination, no. But sexism is a wider term, regardless of how you wish to define it.

He’s there to talk about cricket. By using the limited time available to talk about her eyes instead of engage with her about cricket, he’s implying that she’s a just a pretty thing instead of a serious reporter.

That counts as sexism, doesn’t it?

tomhoward

Shit. JHJ made me laugh.

I feel weird

Kryton57

As an aside – can we lose the repeat posting of the “N” word please. Regardless of the context of this thread its highly offensive to some, a fact which isn’t up for debate or challenge with regard to the OP.

Thanks.

chip
    Free Member

Conjecture based on the little I know of him, yes.
    That is why I said probably, maybe unfairly and I should have used maybe instead.

He probably forgot himself and forgot he was at work and maybe he thought he was talking to one of his personal strippers.

DaRC_L

we’re not allowed to use the term “girl” for an adult female

let’s flip that around – how do you like being referred to as “boy” particularly when being spoken down to?

Anyway skimmed the thread and in response to the OP the answer is NO.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

OK, to avoid unneccessary controversy, let’s rephrase the question:

What if a girl young woman did something similar?

What would the repercussions be?

MoreCashThanDash

What he did was clearly inappropriate in a work environment.

But at least now I understand why all the attractive ladies in the office haven’t been hitting on me…..

Kryton57

I understand why all the attractive ladies in the office haven’t been hitting on me…..

How sexist!!

I understand why people in the office haven’t been hitting on me…..

Better.

chip
    Free Member

MCD, I heard Gary in accounts thinks you’re a fox.

Edukator
    Free Member

A challenge for you all. Find me a famous female who has married a journalist.

It’s easy to find female journalists who have seduced/been seduced and married the guy they interviewed. A few French ones:

Tony Parker NBA
    DSK ex world bank chief and minister
    Jamel Debouze actor
    Romain Grosjean F1
    Thierry Ardison actor
    Laurent Voulzy singer (admits to being seduced during the interview)
    Arnaud Montebourg minister
    Michel Sapin minister
    Vincent Peillon minister

chip
    Free Member

A challenge for you all. Find me a famous female who has married a journalist.
    Judy finnigan
    😀

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 172 total)

The topic ‘World gone mad?’ is closed to new replies.