• This topic has 171 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by zokes.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 172 total)
  • World gone mad?
  • votchy
    Free Member

Cricketer fined for asking reporter out

So a cricketer compliments a reporter on her eyes then asks if they can have a drink afterwards and this becomes unacceptable behaviour, how on earth are you supposed to try and start a relationship with someone if asking them out is unacceptable?

onandon
    Free Member

I think the problem is that you don’t do it live on air in front of millions of viewers.
    The guy comes across as a total bellend.

ads678

He probably bought the maxxis calendar as well!!

wwaswas

how on earth are you supposed to try and start a relationship with someone

He wasn’t;

It was a simple joke.

I guess if you work in a bar you might expect drunk blokes to say something like that and it would cause less fuss but two people working in a professional environment with a large audience?

Why are you surprised people think it was inappropriate?

bikebouy
    Free Member

He did it live on air, in a work environment. Now he faces a huge backlash, quite right too.

The world hasn’t gone mad at all.

Kryton57

Rightly or wrongly, cultural that’s how it is in the Caribbean – they are a lot more forward and open with compliments, It’s not malicious.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Unpurses lips and changes mind on whistling the bird over the road from site due to above..

wwaswas

Rightly or wrongly, cultural that’s how it is in the Caribbean

and if he’d been from a strict Muslim or Jewish community and had told her off for not wearing a headscarf that would have been ok because it’s his ‘cultural background’?

He’s a grown up and a professional and used to captain his country’s cricket team, he knows what’s acceptable and what isn’t.

Pigface
    Free Member

I thought Chris Gale made a bit of a dick of himself, but the reporter complaining about it is a bit much. Working in the media is a tough job, you don’t get in front of camera unless you are easy on the eye. Look at it as a compliment. Laugh it off.

She should of shut him down by saying No thanks you are not my type, lets get on with the cricket talk. Or something similar.

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

What a ridiculous world we live in.

Kryton57

He’s a grown up and a professional and used to captain his country’s cricket team, he knows what’s acceptable and what isn’t.

I don’t disagree with that, he just let himself run away with himself.

and if he’d been from a strict Muslim or Jewish community and had told her off for not wearing a headscarf that would have been ok because it’s his ‘cultural background’?

If she’s was in an environment that demands it yes. The problem of watering down cultures to one global “standard” is surely one you’re familiar with, and I trust you understand therefore that its sometimes quite difficult?

wwaswas

I accept that there are different social norms in different countries, places and times of the day even (and also gave an example of one) but for this specific example it’s not ‘world gone mad’ it’s ‘bloke falls short of standards expected of him in his job’.

nealglover
    Free Member

Rightly or wrongly, cultural that’s how it is in the Caribbean

It was in Australia.

If she’s was in an environment that demands it yes.

She was in a situation that demanded some professional courtesy. She was doing her job trying to do an interview, he made her feel uncomfortable with his comments.

nickc

but the reporter complaining about it is a bit much.

It’s her work place, is it so much to ask?

Working in the media is a tough job, you don’t get in front of camera unless you are easy on the eye.

casual sexism, well done

Look at it as a compliment.

And if she didn’t see it that way?

behaviour like this by men needs to be challenged.

read this, remember it’s 2016

Klunk
    Free Member

No thanks you are not my type

that would have gone down well. 🙄

bails

It’s not really the right thing to do is it? Would anyone do that at a board or shareholder meeting at work? Doing it in private would have been okay (as long as he dropped it if she said no), but doing it in public, at work, in front of millions of people….not on.

Pigface
    Free Member

casual sexism, well done

Yes it is you hunk of man love, I bet you have buns of steel from all that cycling 😉

The STW moral crusader handicap is off and running, taking an early lead is nickc

nickc

Pigface
    Free Member

Now leading by 4 lengths 😆

Kryton57

casual sexism, well done

Not wanting to gang up on you nickc, but its a bit niaive to assume some of these news anchors/interviewers male or female are not chosen due to their physical or personable ability to attract an audience, as well as their god-given talent for the role.

it’s not ‘world gone mad’ it’s ‘bloke falls short of standards expected of him in his job’.

I’m in agreement – he comes from a place with different standards, and should have exacted himself to the standards of the time and place the comments were made.

hels
    Free Member

It was the on-air equivalent of patting her on the bum and calling her Doll. Professional journalist and his response is to remark on her looks and sleaze up to her in front of millions of viewers. Creep.

And I would modify what Pigface is saying, in general women don’t get on the air unless they are easy on the eye. I won’t comment on the looks (and age – that’s another issue) of men in broadcasting, as that would be massively hypocritical.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I’ll just leave this here

Gayle’s “strip club” in his house

nickc

but its a bit niaive to assume…

just because we all know it goes on, doesn’t make it less sexist.

scotroutes

Strawman
    Ad hominem
    Knuckle daggers
    Dinosaurs
    Professionally offended

Just getting in early.

v8ninety

On the one hand, it was rude, inappropriate and sexist. On the other, it was a manners and etiquette failure rather than an actual crime, so it doesn’t sit well with me that it was dealt with by means of a ‘fine’. Better for him to have been roundly criticised and sincerely apologise and then everyone just move on. However as the fine was actually a au$10,000 donation to charity, I suppose that’s kind of what happened anyway, really

Kryton57

just because we all know it goes on, doesn’t make it less sexist.

No, but don’t persecute Chris Gale, look at the wider issue.

It was the on-air equivalent of patting her on the bum and calling her Doll.

No it isn’t. The equivalent of doing that on air is, doing exactly that. You’ve just attempted to sensationalise it.

wwaswas

don’t persecute Chris Gale, look at the wider issue

Sometimes the way to address the wider issue and actually effect change is to take specific examples and say ‘this was wrong’?

Otherwise you just end up with people making noise and nothing changes, like what happens on here 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

He was a dick.

“To see your eyes for the first time is nice. Hopefully we can have a drink afterwards. Don’t blush baby,” he said.

I challenge anyone who thinks it’s OK to go and say that to a female colleague.

Speaking to Grandstand during a washed out day three of the third Australia v West Indies Test, Fox Sports reporter Neroli Meadows – a former colleague of McLaughlin’s – said what happened to McLaughlin was not an isolated incident in sports media.

“It happens, situations likes that, 10 times a day when you’re a female in this sports industry and that’s just a fact,” she said.

“Whether it’s the fact that the women’s toilets aren’t open and the men’s toilets are, whether it’s somebody saying something slightly inappropriate to you as you walk down the hallway, 10 times a day, without fail.

“We do not need that to happen to us in our workplace because that is what it is, our workplace and Mel has been doing her job for 10 to 15 years and she has done it with respect. Her career now gets defined by this.

hels
    Free Member

I wish we could fine people for being dicks. I will volunteer to serve as Judge Hels. I promise to be fair.

BoardinBob

Some people will think what he did was ok
    Some people will think what he did was wrong
    Arguing about it will not change either sides opinion

Can we just lock the thread now?

Edukator
    Free Member

Whilst what he said wasn’t very clever, he isn’t being paid to be clever and I can’t help thinking that his skin colour and general physique are a part of what’s causing the outrage, which is racist. If Paul Hogan had made a similar quip I’m suspect people would have laughed.

dogmatix

She was there doing her job, he was there doing his job, if it happened in a boardroom with other people present it could be seen as offensive. She is trying to be professional and come across as such. Her work environment could be littered with casual sexism (many work environments are), so for it to appear in some form in public could be seen as unwanted and offensive. It could undermine her role as a professional journalist. Would it be ok for a male repoter to do the same in public to a female sports star? No, because she deserves respect. The power role is easier to see if reversed. It’s not about asking someone on a date, if he had really wanted to he could have done that quietly after the questioning.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MtWvYwkfTA[/video]

MrWoppit
    Free Member

… and while I’m on the subject, just replace “female reporter” with “male reporter”. How d’you feel about the story now?

Kryton57

skin colour and general physique are a part of what’s causing the outrage, which is racist. I

I think you’ve now stretched this to “wtf” territory. How bizarre.

… and while I’m on the subject, just replace “female reporter” with “male reporter”. How d’you feel about the story now

The same, with the added surprise that Chris gayle might be gay.

v8ninety

Kryton +1, +1. As in WT actual F are you on about? It’s a manners issue. And as he’s making a lot of money being a ‘role model’, if his manners fall below what is expected of him, he gets a commensurate arse kicking. To not criticise him publicly would be to condone.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Honestly if you think it’s OK or just a manners thing go say that to the next woman you see at work and see what happens. Read the comments from the other female sports reporter who says she gets 10-15 sexist things happening every day she works. She is not there to get a date, she isn’t there to be hit on she is there to report and interview. He is there to play cricket and talk about the game he is playing, if he fancied her talk to her after.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Anyone else listen to the interview on TMS during the lunch break?

If not, a summary;

It’s not OK, Chris. Part of a wider pattern of behaviour. Female journalists hate it. Ex team mates think he’s a dick.

Edukator
    Free Member

OK. I accept that in this case it’s what he said rather than what he is.
    Mainly because a bit of digging shows he’s done it before and apparently learned nothing.

Gayle refering to a lady’s pitch

v8ninety

@Mike; is that aimed at me? Because I don’t think it’s ‘OK’. It is a manners thing though, as in exceptionally BAD manners, indicative of a deeprootedly mysogynistic mindset. (Which I doubt anything will change in that individual, but we can improve his manners).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 172 total)

The topic ‘World gone mad?’ is closed to new replies.