• This topic has 36 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by pk13.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • World Cup of Mince Pies
  • Harry_the_Spider

Mr Kippling’s

Pros : Moist, star motif on the top.

Cons : Little evidence of “dusting”, filling was not as generous as the advertised “deep filling” would have suggested and the lid was disproportionally thick.

Score 5/10

Overall. There was a tinge of disappointment from this premium brand. Belgium.

weeksy

Not eaten one yet… Once i start on the mince pies it’s a very slippery slope which never ends well.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Booths

More pastry and less filling than your kiplings type imposter would make you think is desirable – however the proportions are in fact harmonious. Sugared rather than icing sugar dusted.

8/10

Spain

Houns

Sainsbury’s puff pastry ftw!

frankconway

Waitrose No1 brown butter mince pies with cognac.

Pros – pack of 6 so strength in depth; good balance between filling and case; lightly sugared; holds up well to forceful bite; no excess packaging; delivers as expected.

Cons – none noted but more taste tests await from other brands.

8/10; Brazil.

MoreCashThanDash

I started a thread last week….

beamers

Greggs.

End of thread.

Harry_the_Spider

You can’t say “End of Thread” without detailed post pie analysis!

beamers

Greggs.

End of thread.

Apologies

Pros: Size of the pie – These are pretty hefty units. Filling is nice and moist, pastry has a biscuity texture.

Cons: Leakage of filling in the pack can make eating them a sticky affair. Packaging is flimsy once opened. Not an issue if you eat all 6 in one hit though. Also, the remove lid / insert brandy butter / heat / consume manoeuvre is currently untested. Lid removal might not be easy.

9/10: The North (Although available almost everywhere now)

tthew

Pros – pack of 6

You could have ended your critique right there.

TiRed

My friend reviews all of them on Facebook Waitrose N2 won this year.

willard

I need to find a source here in Sweden. Join in on this.

ElShalimo

These are lovely but a bit fiddly to make

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mincemeat_and_orange_21941

dashed
    Free Member

Sainsbury’s in store bakery or Tesco crumble top both getting good reviews in our house. Only problem with both is the lids are tricky to remove in one please to insert the mandatory teaspoonful of brandy cream (impossible with crumble top).

giant_scum
    Free Member

Both of Lidl’s special mince pies

Speculoos and Almond
    Lovely thick pastry with what initially looks to be a paltry amount of filling.
    Perfect ratio though for me.
    8/10 Germany

Amaretto mince tarts
    Same as above but the filling doesn’t inspire.
    7/10 Italy

singletrackmind

Does no one else road test with Stilton? The overpowering whiff of ripe feet and robustness contradicts the sweetness of the mincemeat.
    1 is never enough

frankconway

singletrack – you could be a likely candidate for Heston’s fig and pear mince pie in cheese pastry; available from your local Waitrose.
    You’re welcome – to them.

igm

Mincemeat pies.

Mince pies have mince in them you philistines.  And sometimes onions.  And they’re lovely if you get a good one. But savoury.

Mincemeat pies are excellent too and a fantastic accompaniment to a good malt – Speyside sherry cask, or Bunnahabhain maybe.

I’m liking the posh CoOp ones at the moment.  Sold out today.
    <h3 id=”bottlingNoteH3″ class=”bottlingNoteH3″></h3>

mogrim

I need to find a source here in Sweden. Join in on this.

Same problem here in central Spain 🙁

MoreCashThanDash

Tried a Greggs one in the office today, and was mighty impressed

reeksy

The only mince pies i’m likely to go near this year will be repackaged as Wicked Elf.

My mate is the head brewer that came up with:

10 dozen fruit mince pies soaked in 5 bottles of brandy went in to make this boozy Christmas beer, rich and fruity dark.

Limited release only available for Christmas. We will let you know when it’s on tap 🍺

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClkqnltBpkv/

multi21
    Free Member

Mince pies are dead to me since I accidentally bought some Taste the Difference Ecclefechan Tarts. Far superior!

tjagain

I assumed this thread was about the soccer world cup using the scots vernacular for rubbish

“Aye that world cup is pure mince”

boomerlives
    Free Member

Mr Kippling’s

Yak

Score 5/10

Overall. There was a tinge of disappointment from this premium brand. Belgium.

Made through the year and frozen. Defrosted in November so likely soggy. Ug.

Glenfiddich Mince Pies FTW. Made by Walkers Shortbread and available online as a carton of 12 boxes. Yes please

Scapegoat

Currently sitting in a world of soggy disappointment. Sainsbury 6 mince pies. Pastry is a bit flabby and the filling lacks depth of flavour. Edible, but there are far better out there. 4/10 and that may be being generous.

scaredypants

<div class=”bbp-reply-content p-0″>

Mincemeat pies.

Mince pies have mince in them you philistines.  And sometimes onions.  And they’re lovely if you get a good one. But savoury.

Yeah – mince pies have meat in them and mincemeat pies don’t (🤪)  joint entry for Britain !

DO we think that the Lidl almond specials might be the fabled (and missing again AFAICS) Aldi ones in the pistachio couloured box?  Those were vintage Gerd Muller Germany

rickmeister

Germany. Mince pies are German / illogical.

Good job I’m back in teh Uk on the 16th to plunder the small/large pork pie and mince pie emporiums. Oh, and Greggs.

hooli

Not bothered with mince pies but Christmas cake is a little (or large) chunk of heaven on a plate.

big_scot_nanny

Morrisons Mince pies – first of the year, quite good shortcrust pastry, but filing a wee bit paltry and not with much flavour. 5/10

M&S Collection mince pies – Shortcrust pastry maybe too crumbly, but the filling superb and deep. 7/10

ElShalimo

@Scapegoat – get an emergency second mortgage and pop over to Bolster Moor. Lovely mince pies but bloody expensive

Scapegoat

@Elshalimo

I’ve just had o e of their Fidget pies for lunch….

ElShalimo

Oh my… That sounds lovely

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I’m with multi21. Those Effingfecal tarts are pretty good. Not sure whats in them though.

IdleJon

singletrack – you could be a likely candidate for Heston’s fig and pear mince pie in cheese pastry; available from your local Waitrose.
    You’re welcome – to them.

I had one last night. It wasn’t a mince pie. I’ll finish them but they don’t get ranked in a mince pie league because they aren’t mince pies. 😀

Made through the year and frozen. Defrosted in November so likely soggy. Ug.

That’s what evaporated milk was invented for. A big dowsing of EM makes anything tasty. (Within reason obviously. It wouldn’t work with lasagne, for instance.)

Scapegoat

Oh my… That sounds lovely

Award winning pork pie with a helping of stuffing and apple sauce under the lid.

ransos
    Free Member

Not good. Thick, stodgy pastry and far too little filling. A prisoner of its surface area to volume ratio.

3/10.

pk13

Thay have been poor from most shops apart from the packs of 2 that where in coop thay have gone into mice pie folk law as they are unavailable.
    Aldi are bland
    Gregs ok hot

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.