Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 179 total)
  • World champs road race
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Still a few days away, and got the ITT first, but already quite excited about the race. Looks to be the best course for a few years now.

So will the likes of Sagan, Cancellara and Gilbert be able to hang on over the tough climbs? They all look to be on form, especially Cancellara. Or will it be one for the GC boys? Nibali, Rodriguez, Valverde maybe? Froome seems to think he’s in with a chance, Wiggins in the same team too could make things interesting!

So who’s your pick?

alexonabike

Wiggo, innit.

midlifecrashes

Is Vinokourov coming back for this one?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I seriously hope not! Froome reckons he’s leading team GB. Will Wiggo do an Olano?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Sky GB tactics are likely to be attritional. Ride at a pace that gradually grinds all the other teams, and their sprinters, in to the autobus.

pondo

If they can ditch Sagan, then Froome. If they can’t then Sagan.

I can’t wait either way – looking forward to TT too. 🙂

c_klein87

should be ace! jonathan edwards is the presenter on the beeb coverage!? i thought he jumped into sandpits

mrblobby
    Free Member

Be tough for team GB to set the pace, it’s a long race and they have a smaller squad than some of the other countries. They’ll definitely need some help.

Edit: and as for team sky, well Porte and Eddie B will be on other teams and will likely be marked men for team GB.

Double edit: Then there’s the Colombians!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m for Porte myself.
    Froomie will get paced down, so too Wiggo.
    Valvi could do it if he makes the break up to Fisole but doubt it.
    Or..
    TenDamn, I think he’s got a really good chance of it, so I’m going..

Porte
    TenDamn

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Dan Martin would be my guess.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Dan Martin is a good bet, he’s definitely targeting that race and seems to be in excellent form (he did a good column about it in Procycling this month.) Doesn’t really have a strong team to support him so will need to ride his luck a bit.

Can the Spaniards or Italians get their strong teams sufficiently organised…? Almost a bit disappointed not to see Contador in the Spanish team this year, thought it would have been a good course for him.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

they have a smaller squad than some of the other countries

8 man squad for the GB team. Isnt that as large as it gets?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Some randomer, probably from Kazakhstan.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Is it being shown on any free view channels?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I’d imagine Dan will sit in on the GB team for as long as possible, if he’s anywhere near his L-B-L form then it should be interesting.

Bert’s not racing? Pity as you say.

Love to see Stannard have a dig like he did at MSR

pondo

8 man squad for the GB team. Isnt that as large as it gets?

Max is nine, but think it depends on how successful your national riders have been, so less successful nations have fewer, more successful nations have an extra rider.

Don;t ask me how they work it out – I didn’t think GB had been doing too badly of late!

notmyrealname
    Free Member

uselesshippy – Member
    Is it being shown on any free view channels?

POSTED 15 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

It’s on the BBC red button.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

details here:
    http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/2013_world_championships_qualification/
    Spain: 9 riders
    Colombia: 9 riders
    Italy: 9 riders
    Netherlands: 9 riders
    Australia: 9 riders
    France: 9 riders
    Great Britain: 8 riders
    Switzerland: 8 riders
    Belgium: 7 riders
    United States: 7 riders
    Czech Republic: 7 riders
    Slovenia: 7 riders
    Germany: 7 riders
    Poland: 6 riders
    Slovakia: 6 riders
    Morocco: 6 riders
    Venezuela: 6 riders
    Iran: 6 riders
    Ukraine: 6 riders
    Austria: 6 riders
    Ireland: 4 riders
    Portugal: 4 riders
    Denmark: 4 riders
    Estonia: 3 riders
    Lithuania: 3 riders
    Costa Rica: 3 riders
    Eritrea: 3 riders
    Algeria: 3 riders
    Brazil: 3 riders
    Mexico: 3 riders
    Canada: 3 riders
    Kazakhstan: 3 riders
    Hong Kong: 3 riders
    Malaysia: 3 riders
    Russia: 3 riders
    Sweden: 3 riders
    Norway: 3 riders
    Croatia: 3 riders
    Turkey: 3 riders
    Latvia: 3 riders
    New Zealand: 3 riders
    South Africa: 2 riders
    Finland: 1 rider
    Luxembourg: 1 rider
    Belarus: 1 rider
    Tunisia: 1 rider
    Argentina: 1 rider
    Ecuador: 1 rider
    Hungary: 1 rider
    Bulgaria: 1 rider
    Serbia: 1 rider
    Moldova: 1 rider
    Romania: 1 rider
    Greece: 1 rider

portlyone

Great Britain: 8 7 riders
    Kenya: 1

😉

tonyg2003

There are some odd ones in that list. Belgium and Germany with 7 riders and Morocco, Iran, Venezuela with 6?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Its not purely to do with UCI points, but also within the UCI areas, e.g Europe, America, Asia, etc:
    “The top-5 American nations qualify:
    The 5 first nations of the classification by nation of the UCI America Tour on 15 August 2013 excluding the nations qualifying via the UCI WorldTour classification: the 1st and 2nd nations qualifying can enter 9 riders, with 6 to start (rank 1); the 3rd, 4th and 5th nations can enter 5 riders, with 3 to start (rank 2).”

Colombia has already qualified via the WorldTour, so is omitted from the America Tour nations ranking for this purpose. That gives the United States and Venezuela 6 riders, while Brazil, Mexico and Canada each get 3 spots. ”

Ro5ey
    Free Member

It’s a tough race to call

The GB management must feel the same …. with both Cav and Froome in the team they are leaving thier options open, no ??

whatnobeer
    Free Member

The GB management must feel the same …. with both Cav and Froome in the team they are leaving thier options open, no ??

Though Cav is in good form and has been preparing for the Worlds, I can’t see him being there at the end. Suspect he’ll put in a big shift on the front for as long as he can before letting the other guys take over when the race starts to splinter on the climbs.

mrblobby
    Free Member

People are debating whether Sagan can hold on over the climbs, so Cav surely hasn’t got a chance. Just there to work for the team probably until they start the circuits.

Sounds like the team allocations goes through a similar UCI “process” to the one used to determine the ProTour licences!

hjghg5
    Free Member

I’m rather looking forward to it. Not least because I’m flying out to Florence on Thursday 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Pretty flat course though, the hills around Flo’ aren’t that bumpy, more like the South Downs with a bit more hight in them. Only one climb thats got a bit of sting in it and it isn’t that long, Cav could easily cope.
    In my heart of hearts I’d like an Italian to win, it would be just perfect however Nibs’ is the only one on form but could be too pooped, could be a good course for Chavanel..

Hmmm.. maybe Chavanel..

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ no hotels left in Flo’, I tried to get over there… and mates Appt is full to the brim with his team mates… 😥

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Over 3000m of climbing, which makes up nearly 30% of the course apparently. No massive climbs but it will be tough for the guys who don’t like hills. Folk who do well in the medium mountain grand tour stages are in with a shout if they can stay with the attacks or get into a break, Sagan, Chavanel etc.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Good article in cycling news about a chat with Froome. Be great to see him trying to drop the strong men on the climbs. Sounds like they are steep enough.

Chavanel may be worth a punt!

irelanst
    Free Member

I think it will go to one of the classics riders. Sagan and Gilbert are too obvious and are going to be marked men. So I’ll go for Kreuziger as an outside bet with Stannard the best placed Brittish rider and Bosan Hargen being the best of the Sky lads.

If I was going to place a big each way bet my money would go on Sagan though, he just rode away from a top class field in Montreal and looked unstoppable.

brakes
    Free Member

Jees, it’s 272km long! Even if the hills aren’t monsters, hitting a 3 mile, 6% climb, 10 times over that distance is definitely going to take its toll.
    These needs climbing prowess AND endurance… should be a good one.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s not going to be easy!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

It’s an Ardennes classic, just need 8 degrees and horizontal rain.

weeksy

when is it ?

brakes
    Free Member

Sunday.

weeksy

Ta.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ladies ITT on now on the bbc.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s today 🙂

Having seen the previous races my money would be on Cancellara. Doesn’t look like the steep bits are long enough to drop the bigger guys. And it’s going to be a wet one. Excited!

Klunk
    Free Member

boy its wet

mrblobby
    Free Member

Newly laid tarmac for the whole course too, could be interesting in heavy rain. Thunderstorms forecast too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 179 total)

The topic ‘World champs road race’ is closed to new replies.