Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 179 total)
  • World champs road race
  • Tom-B
    Free Member

Well they’re doing a good job of taking Sagan to the line here.

headfirst
    Free Member

What colour is Sagan’s kit? I can’t spot him.

Ignore me, they’ve just said. I’m a bit behind real time.

Rorschach
    Free Member

It’s on like king kong…..
    Purito ftw.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Haha maybe they aren’t dragging Sagan along after all 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

What are those motorbikes doing there?!

mikey74
    Free Member

Yeah, Nibbles is looking good.

mikey74
    Free Member

Ouch!!

Tom-B
    Free Member

Nice big one for Duran Duran there!!

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Please not valverde.

speckledbob
    Free Member

That was heavy by Uran. That grass bank was in a good place.

aracer
    Free Member

Nibali waves through Valverde to chase Rodriguez?

Moe

Won’t there be some protests if Nibali gets it?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Nibali’s goosed.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Christ Piti is going to get this ffs!

Tom-B
    Free Member

Come on J-Rod you ****!

TooTall
    Free Member

some finish!

Tom-B
    Free Member

What an awful awful race and by far the worst winner we’ve had for years.

TooTall
    Free Member

What a crap thing to say. Winning such a punishing race through terrible conditions is quite an achievement. How can he be a worst winner?

MrSmith
    Free Member

great last few k’s cat and mouse racing.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

😯

Eh?

Tough conditions, epic last few kms.

Klunk
    Free Member

why is there sound of dial up modem in the background ? 😕

bigG
    Free Member

Tom B – Member

Could you do better in those conditions? Or in fact, in any conditions? If not, shut up.

mikey74
    Free Member

Idiot!!

Tom-B
    Free Member

Haha whether or not I can do better is irrelevant isn’t it? I’m not a pro and wasn’t in the race. Can you do any better?

Costa sucked the wheel of Nibali for almost all of the last lap, didn’t instigate any of the moves and pipped the most aggressive rider on the line. That’s road racing, but looking back through the years it’s a while since we’ve had a winner with a lower profile. Can’t imagine that he’ll be showing of the rainbow jersey at the sharp end of too many big races.

As for it being an awful race, well it was. 15 minutes of excitement out of a 7 hour plus race is very very dull. If you think that it was good then you either watched the last half hour only or don’t watch very much cycling!

speckledbob
    Free Member

Nibali had no chance against them spaniards. Good ride though. Don’t know why Costa is an undeserving winner. He rode the last few kms brilliantly and timed it all to perfection. Good ride as far as I’m concerned.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

That’s road racing, but looking back through the years it’s a while since we’ve had a winner with a lower profile. Can’t imagine that he’ll be showing of the rainbow jersey at the sharp end off too many big races.

That’ll be Rui Costa who won the Tour de Suisse this year and last, finished 3rd at the Tour de Romandie this year and won two stages of the TDF. How much road racing do you watch?

steviecapt
    Free Member

my thoughts, pretty poor show by all the brits, if nibaly can fall and then still catch up and get a medal, what the hell is the british lads excuses, about time they got their ego,s out of the way and started acting like professional bike riders, its no good people saying i dont blame them for giving up, their pro riders, they dont get paid to just give up, i didnt see costa with any team mates around him, so froomes excuse was crap, my opinion, the brit lads have done them selves no favours at all, ffs there was a romanian still riding near the end, where was his team mates, he did it on his own.

taxi25
    Free Member

It wasn’t awfull and the best man on the day won, but the weather and length made it very difficult on that course. 7hr 25 probably to long it would always be a war of attrition with nothing kicking of untill the final lap.

mikey74
    Free Member

my thoughts, pretty poor show by all the brits, if nibaly can fall and then still catch up and get a medal, what the hell is the british lads excuses, about time they got their ego,s out of the way and started acting like professional bike riders, its no good people saying i dont blame them for giving up, their pro riders, they dont get paid to just give up, i didnt see costa with any team mates around him, so froomes excuse was crap, my opinion, the brit lads have done them selves no favours at all, ffs there was a romanian still riding near the end, where was his team mates, he did it on his own.

Spot on there Stevie

Klunk
    Free Member

it should be an interesting atmosphere at team GB dinner tonight.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yeah pretty poor show from the brits. Froome’s hardly rqced since the TdF and I imagine that his life must have been pretty chaotic. Not really sure what plan B was ever going to be….Thomas maybe? Not sure what he’s been upto since breaking his hip at le tour. Kennaugh could maybe gave done something were he there.
    I still don’t think that Costa’s palmares stands up to the likes of Cav Gilbert Hushovd Evans Bettini Friere etc but ho hum.

bigG
    Free Member

Ha ha Tom B: I didn’t realise you were commenting from the viewpoint of an armchair cyclist, someone who spends their life watching cycling on the TV. Try getting out on a bike and you’ll realise how hard it is.

The last four were all working as pro cyclists. Not a group of guys trying to make it entertaining. I watched all of it, not just the last half hour and I enjoyed it

It was pretty much what I expected from the world champs, it’s never a classic race, but is entertaining to watch in any case. The weather chucked in another variable that perhaps some of the riders were unwilling or unable to put up with.

aracer
    Free Member

Why do you all expect so much from the Brits? Clearly Nibali had the legs today and Froome didn’t. Wiggo doesn’t ride in the rain. What Costa or some Romanian did is irrelevant – clearly they were also riding better than Froome. As for the rest of the British team, they’d done the job they went there to do and got dropped. For those still complaining about them abandoning after they were dropped, you should check just how many riders did actually finish the race – you’ll find it’s not a lot more than were in the main group at the start of the last lap, so you’re complaining about them doing the same as all the other pro riders.

Tom B – so it’s rubbish because one of the bigger names didn’t win? Presumably Costa should have just sat back and accepted he wasn’t worthy in that company.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Eh? Of course I’m an armchair fan…like I said, I’m not a pro and I’m hardly going to ride alongside and watch am I? I take it that you are involved in the pro peloton then or are you an armchair fan too?

Did 32 miles offroad in Wales yesterday on my bike fwiw.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I thought Costa deserved it, his tactics were spot on.
    Now if you want an undeserved victory, look at last years Olympic road race.

Tom-B
    Free Member

What you mean a former doper buying the win from a very poor actor 😀

rOcKeTdOg

proper racing, Costa did Nibbles up like a kipper, well deserved win

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah proper win, Costas been there or there a outs all year.

steviecapt
    Free Member

if wiggo doesnt ride in the rain ,what the hell was he doing there, as for the brits doing their stint, what the hell was that, they all gave up, thats not what i call doing their stint for the team, take a long hard look at the italians, both the womans race and the mens, they burried them selves for the sake of the team, that seems to be the probelm, as soon as the italien riders put on a team shirt, they ride as a team and not a bunch of individuals, i cant think of any pro sport that when the going gets tough the team just gives up, lizzy armestead had no chance of winning yesterday but she kept going and finished the race, she puts the brit mens team to shame, thats the trouble with this country they make too many excuses for these highly paid sports men, you only have to look at the england football team, great individuals, but never seem to be able to play consistantly good as a team, too many ego,s lol, pro cycling is no different to any other pro sport, you just dont give up, how many times have you seen england rugby take a battering, they dont just walk off, they man up and get on with it, if the british cycling team cant man up and act as a team, then they shouldnt be wearing the british jersey. if i was teh manager of the britsh team i wouldnt be happy with any of the men, doestnt matter what they have won in the past or what title they have got, if they cant race as a team and work for each other, then dont wear the team jersey, simples, the rest is just crap excuses.

wingnuts

Its interesting that Sean Yates (whatever you think of him) says nobody at sky/British cycling knows nothing about cycling. While that’s obviously not true about track and generally the grand tours I do think they lack nous at the one day events generally. Why do we try to control the race from the start? It plays into everybody else’s hands and we aren’t able to respond when it kicks off. It’s almost as though if we aren’t in absolute control we don’t know what to do.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 179 total)

The topic ‘World champs road race’ is closed to new replies.